- Mainstream Universe, 1930s-2011
- Powers and Abilities
- Recommended learn
Mainstream Universe, 1930s-2011
Prince Khufu Kha-Tarr · Nighthawk, Silent Knight, Koenraad von Grimm, Captain John Smith, James Wright
( son, deceased )
( daughter-in-law, deceased )
( grandson )
( god-son ) Shiera Sanders Hall (wife) Hector Hall (son, deceased) Hippolyta Trevor-Hall (daughter-in-law, deceased) Daniel Hall (grandson) Norda Cantrell (Northwind) (god-son)
United States Army Air Corps, Freedom Fighters, Black Lantern Corps, Justice Society International Justice League · formerly All-Star Squadron White Lantern Corps, Justice Arcana, Justice Society of America
Base Of Operations
Manhattan, New York · Midway City · Chicago · Saint Roch, Louisiana New York City, Formerly Hall Manor
Archaeologist · Soldier · Curator
Reading: Carter Hall (New Earth)
Earth-Two · New Earth
Gardner Fox · Dennis Neville
|Flash Comics #1
Carter Hall is Hawkman, the latest in a farseeing line of reincarnates of Prince Khufu Kha-Tarr. His biography and history is notoriously convoluted.
in the first place Prince Khufu of ancient Egypt, the bomber who would become known as Hawkman discovered an alien spacecraft from the satellite Thanagar, powered by a cryptic anti-gravity element called Nth Metal. The spiritual energies of the metal transformed his soul, and he and his love Princess Chay-Ara were reincarnated over and over for centuries. presently he is Carter Hall, archeologist and explorer. [ 1 ]
Ancient egyptian Origins
Prince Khufu lived during the reign of Ramesses II in the 19th dynasty of ancient Egypt. Khufu believed that his ka, or soul, would not journey on to the country of the afterlife. Rather, his soul and that of his betrothed, Chay-Ara, were fated to remain in the mortal world .
As prophesied by the ace Nabu, a space ship landed in Egypt. Prince Khufu, Nabu, and the champion Teth Adam searched the abandon, ultimately coming across the remains of a Thanagarian ship styled with a hawk-like motif. Nabu cast a spell translating the foreign lyric of the female space traveler. Just before dying, she whispered the words, “ Nth Metal “, the diagnose of the kernel that powered the down ship. Teth-Adam lifted the ship back to Khufu ‘s palace, where it was studied inside the Temple of Horus at Erdu. The remaining Nth metal was examined, and its most obvious property proves to be its ability to negate gravity. The remaining sample from the transport was melted and used to create several noteworthy devices, including a scarab which allowed Khufu to fly, a deadly knife, and a conflict baseball glove referred to as the Claw of Horus. however, the metallic besides strengthened the souls of Khufu and Chay-Ara, binding them together in their sexual love and imprinting them with the collective cognition of Thanagar. Although the nefarious priest Hath-Set murdered the two with the knife of Nth metallic element, their souls lived on in the person plane. They were reincarnated over many lifetimes, always finding on-key sleep together in each other. however, they were cursed to be repeatedly killed at the hands of a reincarnate Hath-Set .
After his end, Khufu ‘s soul was reincarnated countless times in markedly different eras and locations. Some of his known reincarnate identities have included :
- Brian Kent (also known as the Silent Knight), alive during 5th century Britain, lover of Lady Celia Penbrook;
- Koenraad von Grimm, the son of a blacksmith in 14th century Germany;
- Captain John Smith of the 16th century English colony in Virginia;
- Hannibal Hawkes, the Nighthawk, a gun-fighter in the American Old West, lover of Cinnamon;
- Detective James Wright, a Pinkerton detective in the early 20th century, lover of Sheila Carr.
finally, the person of Prince Khufu was reborn as Carter Hall, an archeologist active during the 1940s. After regaining the memories of his inaugural and early life sentence in Egypt, Hall used the hawk motif of the Egyptian God Horus to inspire his role as the master Hawkman .
During the lapp menstruation, his love Chay-Ara was reborn as archeologist Shiera Sanders. After the two meet, she became Hawkgirl, fighting at Carter ‘s side. They became founding members of the Justice Society of America, and Hawkman took the function of chair. The pair reduced their activities in the early on 1950s but became fully active again decades late when first Carter and then Sheira joined the Justice League of America ( while continuing to besides work with the revived JSA ). The two had a son, Hector Hall, who finally became a establish extremity of Infinity Inc. as the Silver Scarab, and later adopted the identity of the Sandman before becoming an incarnation of Doctor Fate. Following the event known as the Crisis on Infinite Earths, Hawkman and the JSA became trapped in a conflict in an ever-repeating Ragnarok. The Norse idol Odin tried unsuccessfully to give a crystal celestial sphere containing this repeating Ragnarok to Dream, godhead of the Dreaming as a deal, knowing that Dream had by this clock time selected Carter ‘s grandson, Daniel Hall, as his successor. Back on Earth interim, others took up the mantles of Hawkman and Hawkwoman, first Thanagarian spy Fel Andar and his human wife, and then a more benevolent match of Thanagarians .
The Hawks Return
Years after they vanished, Hawkman and the JSA returned to the modern day when a archaic but extremely powered tribe volunteered to substitute themselves in the Ragnarok cycle. soon after, however, death apparently found Carter once again during the events of Zero Hour. He and his wife Shiera apparently merged with Katar Hol, a Thanagarian patrol military officer who had succeeded Carter as Hawkman in his absence, as a newfangled incarnation of Hawkman who briefly acted as host to the cryptic “ clear the throat idol ” creature. This individual was active for a abruptly time but soon lost his sanity and was banished to Limbo ( it was finally revealed that Shiera ‘s person had actually migrated to the body of her great-niece, Kendra Saunders, who had committed suicide ) .
Years by and by, JSA extremity Hawkgirl ( Kendra Saunders ) was transported to a ravaged Thanagar by the high Priests of the Downsiders. Seeking a champion to stop the evil Onimar Synn from enslaving the satellite, the priests used Kendra ‘s centuries-old connection to Carter to bring him back to the deadly complain. Following this irregular resurrection, Hall retained all the memories of his past lives, adenine good as those of Katar Hol, the Thanagarian Hawkman. It has since been stated that the person of Katar Hol has passed on from Limbo and that Carter nobelium long retains his memories, though his current form silent retains some of Hol ‘s physical characteristics ( notably his dark hair ). After defeating Onimar Synn, Hall once again became a extremity of the JSA. Operating both with the JSA and with Hawkgirl, Hall embarked on a wide variety of alien adventures. His pursuit as a hero took him from the streets of St. Roch to exotic dimensions and even into out space as he fought in the Rann-Thanagar War. Following this consequence, Carter stayed in space for some months in order to help mediate the armistice on Rann and avenge the murder of Shayera Thal, who as Hawkwoman had been the partner of the late Katar Hol. As a solution, Hawkgirl was left by herself to patrol and protect St. Roch.
Read more : Scarlet Scarab Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel
Returning to space to help during the Rann-Thanagar Holy War, Carter was approached by the Demiurge, a nameless god who inspired Plato into describing his namesake. The Demiurge denounced the cycle of personification and rebirths of Khufu and Chay-Ara as lies, simple grafts of the surrogate versions of Carter and Shiera reside in the different worlds of the multiverse that existed before the crisis on Infinite Earths. He informed Carter that there were “ six-spot Aberrations ” in full, including Hawkman, whose origins were muddled and damaged by the the destruction and diversion of the population. Carter was reasonably impress, until the Demiurge inexplicably began addressing him as Katar Hol. nothing appears to have come of this though, and it has since been stated that these events were not as they seemed .
Main article: Blackest Night Carter and Kendra were reunited, alone to be attacked by Black Lanterns Ralph and Sue Dibny, who were recently resurrected by Black Power Rings, before having their hearts torn out from their bodies, and becoming undead Black Lanterns themselves. however, by the end of the awful crisis, Carter and Shiera Hall ( nobelium farseeing looking like or believing herself to be the dead person Kendra ), along with ten other people, were reanimated by the power of the White Lantern .
Main article: Brightest Day In the Brightest Day, Carter and Shiera follow Hath-Set, who has collected the bones from all of their past bodies, and created from them a portal site to Hawkworld. While there, Carter is told by the Entity to “ stop the Queen Khea “ from leaving. While Hawkgirl is held by Hath-Set and his Queen Khea, Hawkman and his group of the panthera attack the Manhawks homeworld. Hawkman hears Hawkgirl ‘s cries and charges toward to rescue her. His arrival leads to a confrontation with Queen Khea, who turns out to be the beget of Shiera Hall. During the battle, Queen Khea controls his Nth metal mace and armor, and Hawkman is tied together with Hawkgirl. Queen Khea opens the gateway and enters the portal vein to the Zamaron homeworld. When she arrives on the Zamaron homeworld, Star Sapphire ( Carol Ferris ) frees them both to stop Queen Khea ‘s invasion. The two assail Queen Khea as Hawkgirl wants to face her, but the Predator Entity bonds with the Queen. Shiera and Carter do to finally separate both of them by stabbing Khea at the same time with weapons made of Zamaronian crystals. The bones of the past lives of Hawkman and Hawkgirl separate from the gateway, and, animated by the purple lighter of love, grab Khea and imprison her in the Zamaronian Central Power Battery. Shiera and Carter, with both of their missions accomplished and lives returned are teleported back to St. Roch by Carol. Carter and Shiera are interrupted by Deadman, whose white closed chain tells the two of them that they should lead disjoined lives. Carter refuses and says they are not going to live apart again, the closed chain responds “ so be it ” and unleashes a good time of whiten light that kills Hawkman and Hawkgirl, turning them into dust. Deadman orders the closed chain to resurrect both Hawkman and Hawkgirl, but the ring refuses, saying that Hawkman was brought back to life to overcome what held him back in his by life because he was all-important in saving Earth. When the “ Dark Avatar ”, made his presence known, Hawkman and Hawkgirl are revealed to be region of the Elementals, guardians of the forest located in Star City. They were transformed by the Entity to become the element of air and protect the Star City forest from the “ Dark Avatar ”, which appears to be the Black Lantern version of the Swamp Thing. The Elementals are then fused with the body of Alec Holland in order for him to be transformed by the Entity into the new Swamp Thing and battle against the Dark Avatar. After the Dark Avatar is defeated, Swamp Thing appears to have brought the Elementals back to normal ; however, as Hawkman looks around for Shiera, he discovers that she was not brought back like he was. He is subsequently told by Swamp Thing that Shiera is everywhere, revealing that she was placid the elemental of breeze. Afterward, Hawkman returns home plate yelling “ Shiera ”.
Powers and Abilities
- Blessing: Carter Hall was a priest in a past life, and still possesses the ability to bless mundane objects. For example, by muttering a prayer in front of a building’s sprinkler system, he was once able to convert the water into Holy Water in order to destroy a vampire. 
- Divine Empowerment: Hawkman was granted the ability to breathe underwater, by the god Poseidon.
- Reincarnation: The Nth metal knife which murdered Hawkman in his original incarnation as Khufu had an unusual effect upon his soul and that of his lover Chay-Ara (Hawkgirl). The pair are locked in a seemingly endless cycle of death and rebirth throughout the centuries. While not a superhuman power per se, this propensity for reincarnation has allowed Hawkman to cheat death and return to active duty in his current incarnation.
- Expert Combatant: Aside from being a part of the Justice Society of America, Hall was also a liaison, chairman and member of the Justice League of America. Due to Hall being affiliated with the League, he underwent combat training with them, from the very start.
- Weaponry: Due to his multiple incarnations and having memories of all of his past lives, Khufu/Hall has become proficient in many types of weaponry. As a result, he is an expert with a wide array of archaic weapons from his past lives, including battle axes, maces, swords, spears and shields. As Nighthawk, he was a marksman with a pistol. In addition, Carter Hall is sometimes depicted handling futuristic technology. He has used a Thanagarian ship called “The Brontadon”, and during the Rann-Thanagar War used Rannian hard-light armor. Hawkman is even depicted using technologically advanced laser weaponry in a possible future.
- Reincarnated Knowledge: Due to his many lives and vast amount of experience, Hall is a brilliant tactician, fierce warrior, and strong leader. At the same time, however, he is extremely intelligent (considered a leader in his field of history and archaeology) and expresses a deeply romantic side in relation to his beloved soul-mate. Often, Carter finds it difficult to balance between the “barbarian” of his past lives and the “gentleman” of his current incarnation. He also has an extremely innovative approach to science and technology.
- In the summer of 1942, Hawkman invented a method to store complete meals in tiny capsules. The meals then expanded to full size, when a special solution was applied. This technology was used by the Justice Society on a famine-relief mission to Europe, during WWII.
- In the late 1940s, Hawkman invented a bubble-shaped antigravity flying vehicle. Little if any use was made of this vehicle afterward, and it was not commercialized or mass-produced.
- Early in his career, Hawkman encountered and defeated another inventor working with antigravity technology, and confiscated one of his gravity-inducing weapons, for future study.
- Tactical Analysis
- Multilingualism and Animal Empathy: Along with speaking several human languages (including Spanish), Hawkman has learned the language of the intelligent hawks of Hawk Valley. After working with these hawks for several years, he grew familiar with the language of the beasts, and could talk to wolves, bears, and deer.
- Curse: Every time he is born again he must wander the earth till he meets again with his eternal soul mate. But as soon as they form a deep bond, they are destined to be murdered again and it continues.
- Artificial Feathered Wings: His wings, which are laced with Nth metal, allow him to control navigation and guidance during flight, though they can be “flapped” through use of shoulder motions. He can reach an airspeed of 225 miles per hour, if not better.
- Antigravity Flying Vehicle: He invented a flying machine, but made little if any use of it afterward.
- Archaic Weaponry: Hawkman has access to an entire arsenal of medieval weaponry. His favored weapons are the mace and flail.
|Justice League member
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its assorted incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect worldly concern from both interstellar and domestic threats.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Justice League of America members “ class .
|All-Star Squadron member
This character is or was a member of the All-Star Squadron in any of its respective incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ All-Star Squadron members “ category.
Read more : Captain America – Wikipedia
|Freedom Fighters member
This character is or was a penis of the Freedom Fighters, a team of american super-heroes who fight threats to the state and its ideals under the leadership of Uncle Sam. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the “ Freedom Fighters members “ category .
|Black Lantern Corps member
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Black Lantern Corps members category. ”
| Suicide Squad member
This character is or was a extremity of the Suicide Squad, a team of imprison super-villains who perform bad missions for the U.S. Government in exchange for permute sentences, in any of its diverse incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Suicide Squad members “ category .