- Genya Shinazugawa
- Personal Status
- Fighting style
Reading: Genya Shinazugawa
180 cm (5’11”)
76 kg (168 lb)
[ 1 ]
Black to Yellow ( From Swordsmith Village Arc )
BlackBlack to Yellow
Demon Slayer Corps
Kyogo Shinazugawa ( Father )
Shizu Shinazugawa ( Mother )
( Older Brother )
Shuya Shinazugawa ( Younger Brother )
Hiroshi Shinazugawa ( Younger Brother )
Koto Shinazugawa ( Younger Brother )
Teiko Shinazugawa ( Younger Sister )
Sumi Shinazugawa ( Younger Sister )
Shuya ShinazugawaHiroshi ShinazugawaKoto ShinazugawaTeiko ShinazugawaSumi Shinazugawa
See all relatives hera.
Zeno Robinson Genya Shinazugawa Images Image Gallery
|“||I don’t want… you to die. Because… my big brother… is… the nicest person… in… this world.||”|
|— Genya Shinazugawa to Sanemi Shinazugawa in Feelings for Elder Brother, Feelings for Younger Brother|
Genya Shinazugawa ( 不死 ( しなず ) 川 ( がわ ) 玄 ( げん ) 弥 ( や ), Shinazugawa Gen’ya ? ) is a major supporting character of Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. He is a Demon Slayer in the Demon Slayer Corps and besides the younger brother of the Wind Hashira, Sanemi Shinazugawa. [ 2 ]
At the time of his debut during the Final Selection, Genya was a short, young valet with large, inward-slanting eyes. The space where his eyebrows would ‘ve been is constantly furrowed, which gave him a permanently angered appearance. His hair is styled into a buzz cut, with entirely a little bunch of messy black hair left to grow on the top of his head. He besides possessed a large, jagged scar that ran over his right cheekbone from his ear and to over his nose. During his first appearance, Genya is seen wearing a imperial, bootless yukata over a plain black shirt with long sleeves. later on, when seen again in the Butterfly Mansion, Genya had a much more feral appearance, having undergo a growth spurt that put him at about six feet improbable. His hair is besides much longer, worn in more of a mohawk style, the strands much longer and visible around his neck. It is besides noted that he became more muscular and gained many more scars all over his body. After the Swordsmith Village Arc, his haircloth gains bright yellow tips. After becoming a Demon Slayer, his equip changed to a dark olive green version of the Demon Slayer undifferentiated, over which he still sported his erstwhile empurpled yukata .
Genya is initially a foul-mouthed and crabbed individual ; a “ lone wolf ” who refused any help from others and did not show any concern in being civilized or having any manners. During the Final excerpt, he approximately handled Kanata Ubuyashiki by grabbing her hair and yelling at her. His ill temper and brash way of speaking heavily resembles that of his old brother, Sanemi. He became more open to cooperation during the struggle against Hantengu, an Upper Rank Demon, where he worked aboard Tanjiro Kamado, Mitsuri Kanroji, and Nezuko Kamado. After some time, he learned to become more sociable and less ill-mannered towards others, particularly towards Tanjiro and his friends. Sanemi ‘s refusal to acknowledge Genya besides made him insecure as he came to realize good how weak he is compared to his companions. however, he did whatever he could to help his allies, even if it got him dreadfully maimed in the process. Despite his brother ‘s coarse rebukes, he bore no ill will towards him, a impression reinforced by Tanjiro and finally by Sanemi himself .
Demonic Transformation: By consuming the live human body of a Demon, Genya could temporarily gain demonic attributes from it. Depending on the forte of the person, he could gain positive feedback and physical persuasiveness equal to one. In this mannequin, Genya is capable of overpowering Aizetsu concisely.
- Upper Rank Four Empowerment: After consuming the wood created by Zohakuten, Genya had enough strength and speed to throw 3 trees in quick succession. In his battle against Kokushibo, the full extent of his demonification upon eating some of the Upper Rank 4’s flesh is shown that despite Kokushibo viciously bifurcating him across his abdomen and cutting of both of his arms, he still did not die, showing that like a genuine demon, Genya could now only be killed by decapitation.
- Upper Rank One Empowerment: Upon eating the hair of Kokushibo, Genya’s demonic abilities were further enhanced, as seen when he managed to reattach his severed body in mere seconds and is even able to intercept the telepathic communication of Muzan Kibutsuji. Upon eating a piece of the Upper Rank’s Flesh Sword, Genya even began taking up several of Upper Rank One’s physical characteristics such as his eyes and hair. Later, the full extent of his enhanced demon abilities is shown that even when he is bifurcated and half his head is sliced cleanly in half, Genya is not only still alive and conscious but still possessed the necessary strength to activate his Blood Demon Arts. However, upon succumbing to his severe wounds, Genya much like a genuine demon, disintegrated to ash.
- Flesh Gun: Genya displayed the ability to detach his cells and merge them with his gun, with the gun having the same characteristics of Kokushibo’s sword of having multiple eyes on top of the barrel and muzzle, which presumably increases its accuracy and power.
Repetitive Action: A technique teach to him by Gyomei Himejima to help him compensate for his lack of endowment and aptitude to use Breathing Styles. This Technique chiefly focuses on Genya repeating a jell of words or phrases that assists him to focus on his given job properly and keep his mind clear and block out trouble. For Genya, he repeats a place of prayer of the Amida Sutra to help him focus and steel his mind, as seen where he used this technique to focus his mind after being fatally injured fighting Hantengu ‘s Clone Aizetsu and to a degree, replicate the effects of entire Concentration Breathing .
Expert Marksman: Genya possesses exceeding skill in wielding his double-barreled shotgun, effectively utilizing it in conflict with both Upper Rank Four and One. Expert Swordsman: Before he opted to use a shotgun, Genya ‘s main weapon was a abruptly Nichirin Katana, and it was implied that he was decently adept in using it against demons .
Due to having eaten the flesh and cells of at least two upper berth Ranks ( Kokushibo and Hantengu ), Genya had apparently developed his own Blood Demon Art while in the heat of conflict against Upper Rank One. similarly to Nezuko ‘s Blood Demon Art, Genya ‘s own were besides tailored to struggle and do damage to other demons. Wooden Flesh Bullets: Due to eating the cells of Upper Rank One and Upper Rank Four, Genya had developed a unique proficiency where he merges his demon-transformed cells with his sun steel bullets and gunman, that, when fired, the commission and speed of the bullets could be freely manipulated by Genya to easily move around obstructions between the fastball and the mean target, as seen when his bullets moved around Kokushibo ‘s sword, immediately burying themselves into his flesh. once inside its target, the bullets can immediately grow into a gigantic tree similar to the tree creatures of Upper Rank Four ‘s Zohakuten form and then entangle and wrap around the intend aim, paralyzing them .
- Blood Roots: Genya could further alter his embedded Flesh Bullets by having them take root inside his target and suck the demon’s blood from inside their body, effectively preventing them from activating their own Blood Demon Art.
Nichirin Shotgun: Genya harbors a western double-barreled shotgun he uses for close and ranged fight proficiently. The bullets he uses are made of Scarlet Crimson Iron Sand and Scarlet Ore, allowing him to kill demons without a blade. Nichirin Wakizashi: Genya besides carries a unretentive Nichirin Sword apparently being a wakizashi with two hollow ovals that overlap its core and are a dull shade of brown for its handguard .
- Genya’s surname contains the kanji for “immortality” 不死, shinazu ? 川, gawa ? 玄, gen ? 弥
, ya ?
- Genya is one of the few characters in the series who does not primarily use a sword and is the only Demon Slayer named who cannot use any of the Breathing Styles.
- Instead, he uses a technique referred to as Repetitive Action, which acts as a substitute for Total Concentration Breathing. It’s important to note that this technique was taught to Genya by Gyomei, who himself is a Breathing user, implying that it is possible to use both techniques in conjunction with one another.
- Generally, Genya is better at wielding a gun than a sword, as he’s very good at hitting targets.
- Kokushibo mentions that Genya is not the first Demon Slayer he has encountered that consumed Demons to gain power.
- It seems that Genya is shy around women, breaking out into a blush and losing the capability to speak with them. This is seen when interacting with the Love Hashira, Mitsuri, and the younger girls who work at the Butterfly Mansion.
- Due to his unique Demon-eating powers, Genya regularly goes to the Butterfly Mansion for health check-ups.
- Genya ranked 15th place in the second popularity poll with 2589 votes.
- Genya shares the same Japanese and English voice actors as Garfiel Tinsel from the anime Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World.
- In Kimetsu Academy, Genya is a 1st year student belonging in Class Kabosu. He is the shooting club’s ace, and despite his hair breaking school rules, they let him keep it since he wouldn’t be able to score bullseyes with a shaved head. This is because he uses his hair to read the wind.
- He is the younger brother of math teacher Sanemi Shinazugawa. He once won 1st place in a competition but his brother stormed the place and ripped his certificate apart, all while screaming “Who cares about this shit?! Learn your damn math!!“.
- His big body and angry demeanor led to him being misunderstood and friendless. This changed after the competition incident with his brother, to which the students sympathized with Genya and became friends with him.
- (To himself) “Can I do this? Can I be any use? Will he notice me right away again… and cut me in half so that’s the end? Sanemi… I can’t let him die… I definitely mustn’t fail. Himejima… Tokito… If only I were stronger!! If I were a Hashira!! The more I want to help, the more my body stiffens up making it difficult for me to move. I’m scared… that I’m no use and can’t protect my comrades. Why am I so weak? It’s frustrating! It’s frustrating to be weak.“
- (To himself) “I’ll do it. I’m gonna do it. I have to do it. Think only about winning. I will not let my brother, or my master, or any of my comrades die!” 
- (To Sanemi Shinazugawa) “I don’t want… you to die. Because… my big brother… is… the nicest person… in… this world.”