now, much thanks to Google ’ randomness ecosystem, Android smartphones last have their very own translation of AirDrop, particularly the ‘ Nearby Share ’ feature of speech. It functions similarly to Apple ’ s AirDrop ; however, you ’ ll want to accomplish a few things before you can begin using it .
In this article, we list all the must-knows so you can make the most out of the AirDrop for your Android smartphone.
- What Does The AirDrop For Android Do?
- Which Android Phone Is Compatible With Nearby Share?
- What Is Shareable Via AirDrop?
- How To Use AirDrop On Android?
- Where To Download AirDrop On Android?
What Does The AirDrop For Android Do?
The AirDrop for Android equivalent is ” Nearby Share ”. Before Nearby Share, there are numerous apps that allow file sharing on Android. however, the drawback is that both users must have the same app installed for successful file sharing. With Android ’ mho Nearby Share, file communion is now more commodious and accessible than ever .
nearby Share is a relatively new have for Android devices that allows Android users to send links, files, photos, videos, and other essentials to nearby Android devices. It ’ s basically like Apple ’ s AirDrop, but it ’ s compatible entirely with Android devices such as mobile phones, tablets, and computers .
With AirDrop for Android, it ’ randomness more conducive if you are going to send bigger files or attachments to person nearby, without using a computer to send them via e-mail or use a cloud service for storage .
rather of opening break apps such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, WhatsApp, or Viber, you can select the photograph, television, or links you want to send and plainly attach them as Nearby Share allows you to send files with just a few taps .
To use Nearby Share, select the files you want to send, swipe up from the bottom of your screen and tap the Nearby Share icon. From there, you can choose to send files to person with an Android device and is, at the same fourth dimension, proximate to your current smudge. Through this AirDrop for Android equivalent, you can even send and receive pictures, videos, and other files anonymously, vitamin a well as making yourself inconspicuous to other users if you don ’ thyroxine want to receive them .
Nearby Share besides allows file sharing via a suitable method acting, whichever works faster between two mobile devices namely P2P Wi-Fi, WebRTC, Bluetooth Low Energy, or Bluetooth .
Which Android Phone Is Compatible With Nearby Share?
The Nearby Share or AirDrop for Android is compatible with all Android devices running on Marshmallow/Android 6 software version or higher. The beginning adaptation of AirDrop for Android was released in 2015. therefore, if you ’ ve purchased an Android smartphone after 2015, your earphone is already integrated with the AirDrop for Android feature. little did you know, this feature is first gear implemented in Samsung and Google Pixel smartphones. nearby Share is built into Android smartphones through Google Play Services, a backdrop service of Android devices that associates with the Google Play Store. That said, you should make sure that the Google Play Services is updated to its latest interpretation .
Google besides announced that Nearby Share would soon become compatible with Chromebooks. As a result, it ’ s exchangeable to AirDrop ’ s compatibility between an iPad/iPhone and a MacBook .
If you want to verify whether you have the Nearby Share feature, you can follow these steps :
- On your Android smartphone/tablet, launch the google web site .
- Input ”Google Play Services” in the search field .
- Tap theGoogle Play Services app from the research results .
- The page will be opened to the Google Play Services app on the Google Play Store. From there, tap ”Update”, if it ’ sulfur displayed .
- navigate to the ”Settings” app on your Android device .
- once you ’ re in theSettings app, exploit ”Google”.
- Scroll down far until you can see ”Device Connection” and then tap it .
- IfNearby Share is on the menu, you can proceed with promote configurations.
Congratulations ! You have AirDrop for Android aka Nearby Share on your Android device .
What Is Shareable Via AirDrop?
With AirDrop for Android, you can partake equitable about anything including links, videos, photos, documents, and more. That said, whenever you want to send something with a class, acquaintance, or colleague nearby, whether it ’ s a link to a document, PDF charge, or location in Google Maps, plainly access the ” Share ” push button. From the Share menu, situate and tap to activate the Nearby Share feature. Your android device will begin searching for devices nearby .
The individual you ’ re sharing files with should be relatively nearby and they are required to tap on a pop fly menu, prompting them to become available for sharing. Both you and the person you ’ ra sharing documents with are prompted to activate ” Location Services and Bluetooth ”, if applicable .
once they ’ ve become available, tap their device ’ sulfur identify. Recipients must besides need to accept the file-sharing request. once done, you ’ re beneficial to go ! The file-sharing march will start and will lone take a few seconds, depending on the charge sizes of your attachments .
How To Use AirDrop On Android?
As a prerequisite, you should check if your Android smartphone has the Nearby Share function integrated into its organization. For confirmation, you can refer to the steps mentioned earlier. basically, there ’ s no need to install it on your smartphone. It will be displayed once it ’ second already available on your device. here is a shortcut method to verify if AirDrop for Android is available on your smartphone :
- On your Android device, voyage to the ”Settings” app .
- Tap ”Google > Device Connections”.
- Verify if you can see ‘Nearby Share’ and solicit to enable it .
If Nearby Share international relations and security network ’ thymine displayed on the menu, then your mobile device doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate have it so far. That said, you need to keep checking your early Android devices if it ’ south already installed .
Setting Up AirDrop for Android/Nearby Share
Assuming you have the Nearby Share feature on your device, you can easily proceed with the future steps. And of course, you can nowadays send photos, videos, and other files with your network. If it ’ s your first time using this feature, you need to set up your device inaugural with AirDrop for Android. To do this, here are the following steps :
- On your Android device, open ”Settings”.
- Tap the ”Google” menu.
- Tap ”Device Connections > Nearby Share”.
- To activate ”Nearby Share”, toggle on the feature.
- Select ”Device Name”.
- Input your ‘preferred name’ as your identity for file sharing.
- Once done, choose a specific ‘Device Visibility’ to configure your preferred privacy settings. With Device Visibility, you can choose among three options:
- All Contacts
Anyone in your contact list with Nearby Share activated can see your Android device as a visible device when it ’ sulfur unbarred, or the home screen is on .
- Some Contacts
entirely the selected contacts can see your Android device as a visible device when it ’ sulfur unlock, or the home screen door is on .
Your Android device won ’ metric ton expose as a visible device for everybody unless the Nearby Share is activated. Suppose your Android device can detect person nearby and has a Nearby Share activated. In that font, you ’ ll receive a telling, prompting you to launch Nearby Share to make your smartphone or postpone visible again .
- If you’ve selected ”Some Contacts”, you will individually choose a recipient from one of your contacts. Scroll down from the list and toggle on each recipient that you trust for file sharing.
- Navigate to the menu where you’ve accessed ”Device Visibility” and tap ”Data”.
- Choose your preferred ”Data Usage” from the option. You can either select ”Data, Wi-Fi Only, or Without Internet”.
- Once done, tap ”Update”.
Congratulations ! You ’ re all set to send and receive files via AirDrop for Android/Nearby Share .
Send/Receive Files with AirDrop for Android/Nearby Share
With both users having Nearby Share activated and configured, you can immediately well receive and send files, links, videos, and photos which to people who are nearby. Hence, both of you must have the Nearby Share have on your Android devices. otherwise, you won ’ t have a successful file partake .
If you ’ re going to share files with person, ask them to unlock their smartphone or tablet, and their home screen is active. It besides applies if you ’ re the telephone receiver. With both devices actively enabled, here are the steps to send a file with Nearby share :
In this example, we will use a associate for file communion .
- Open your preferred web browser on your Android smartphone.
- Input ”cellularnews.com” or any website you want to share a link.
- Tap the ”three-dot icon” located on the upper rightmost of the screen.
- Tap the ”Share” button.
- Under the ”Share Via” section, locate and tap ”Nearby Share”.
- Depending on your Android device, the Nearby Share icon can also appear as a shortcut for easier access.
- Nearby Share will now initiate and search for nearby devices.
- If you’re at the receiving end, you will get prompted that notifies ”Device Nearby Is Sharing”. Tap the notification so you can become visible.
- Once the receiver is already visible for file sharing, the sender can tap its ”device name” from the Nearby Share list.
- As a receiver, tap the ”Accept” button.
- Wait for the file-sharing progress to complete.
As mentioned, we use links for describing the march of file sharing with AirDrop for Android. however, the action is entirely the lapp as photos, videos, and early files .
For receivers, you ’ ll constantly be prompted to become visible for file sharing and accept the file-sharing request .
Where To Download AirDrop On Android?
There ’ s no indigence to download Nearby Share. All you have to do is occasionally check your Android device if it ’ randomness already updated with this feature. For your appliance, here are the steps on how to verify if you have AirDrop on Android installed on your device :
Via Web Browser
- On your Android smartphone/tablet, launch the Google website.
- Input ”Google Play Services” in the search field.
- Tap the ”Google Play Services” app from the search results.
- The page will be opened to the Google Play Services app on the Google Play Store. From there, tap ”Update”, if it’s displayed.
- Navigate to the ”Settings” app on your Android device.
- Once you’re in the Settings app, tap ”Google”.
- Scroll down further until you can see ”Device Connection” and then tap it.
- If Nearby Share is on the menu, you can proceed with further configurations.
Via The Settings App
- On your Android device, navigate to the ”Settings” app.
- Tap ”Google > Device Connections”.
- Verify if you can see ”Nearby Share” and tap to enable it.
nowadays, that ’ s a wrapping ! As you can see, the work of file sharing with AirDrop for Android is very exchangeable to that of Apple ’ s AirDrop feature of speech. For some, it may be late to the party, considering the launch of AirDrop was already nine years ago. however, it ’ s hush an highly commodious sport for Android users nowadays. With everyone getting more and more plug in each day, the most accessible and commodious means of file share is highly admirably.
Are there any tips on how to partake files with Nearby Share ? possibly, do you know person who hasn ’ t configured this all-new file sharing sport of Android however ? contribution this steer away !