- Mainstream Universe, 1950s-2011
- Powers and Abilities
Mainstream Universe, 1950s-2011
King Thar (father, deceased)
Queen Berra (mother)
Orin (Aquaman) (adoptive father)Arthur Curry Jr. (adoptive brother, deceased)
Koryak (adoptive brother, deceased)
Slizzath (uncle, deceased)
Dolphin (wife, deceased)
Cerdian (son, deceased)
Garn Daanuth (alleged ancestor)
Reading: Garth (New Earth)
Aquaman Family · Atlantean Royal Family [ 1 ] · once adolescent Titans · Justice League
· formerly Sentinels of Magic
Base Of Operations
Atlantean · Homo Magi
Atlantean · Idylist
King of Atlantis · Prince of the Idyllist Sorcerer · formerly Ambassador
Earth-One · New Earth
Robert Bernstein · Ramona Fradon
|First Appearance||Appearance of Death|
|Adventure Comics #269
|Blackest Night #2
- And I’ve come dressed for the occasion. More important, though, I’ve finally decided on a new name for myself. If I’m destined to be this great undersea defender, I can’t very well go around calling myself “Garth”, can I? From now on…You can call me Tempest!
- — Garth src
Garth was the Atlantean hero known as Tempest. He began his heroic career as the master Aqualad, teenaged buddy to Aquaman.
His origin is alike to that of his mentor. Garth was an amphibious android who was left to die because of ancient Atlantean superstition and prophecy. He was a prince of the Idyllists, a colony of Atlanteans that settled in the Hidden Valley 4,000 years ago. There, nestled in the capital city of Shayeris, the pacifist Idyllists became fanatic builders and collectors, architects and artisans, and eschewed physical violence at all costs. The Idyllists were besides practitioners of magic trick and kept an across-the-board library of mystic text and scrolls. approximately four decades ago, King Thar and his wife Queen Berra, became the reigning monarch of Shayeris. Thar had inherited the throne and access to ancient charming energies that his brother Zath, a powerful sorcerer in his own properly, believed to be rightfully his. Zath practiced black sorcery and sorcery, the raise of the dead, and was finally banished from the Hidden Valley. His body transformed into disgust, half human mannequin, Zath, renamed Slizzath, returned to Shayeris twenty years later with an army of undead. He planned to invade the Hidden Valley and transform it into a cemetery he would rule .
King Thar know of this and assembled an armory of robots and weapons to stop his brainsick brother. But the Idyllist radicals killed him and banished his pregnant wife Berra back to Atlantis. Before Thar was killed, however, he was able to cast a charming spell that trapped Slizzath in an otherdimensional prison. unfortunately, this spell was linked to a charming ritual which would give his offspring access to incredible mysterious powers and accessing that ritual would give Slizzath the energy required to break free of his prison. then parole was sent out that all babies born with purple eyes, the Idylist tag of power, should be banished and killed, lest they try to perform the access ritual and incidentally free Slizzath and his undead army. The Idyllists besides claimed that Thar had gone harebrained to hide their building complex, cowardly design. In Poseidonis, one of the domed cities of Atlantis, Queen Berra gave parturition to her baby son, Garth, who was born with imperial eyes. The Atlanteans claimed Garth had been born genetically subscript and sentenced him to death on a ocean floor leagues away from Atlantis. But, with the secret help of Aquaman ‘s beget, the Atlantean sorcerer Atlan, the young Garth not lone survived but thrived. It was Atlan who taught Garth language and survival rituals and kept the youthful male child from going feral as he scavenged his manner through the submarine. Garth did develop an intense fear of schools of fish, however, that haunted him into his teens. Garth finally met Aquaman. As Aqualad, he fought crime and had many adventures above and below the sea with his mentor. When Aquaman assumed the throne of Poseidonis, Garth became a member of the royal court. Garth was one of the founding members of the Teen Titans, and was a member of that team in many of its incarnations although belated as a reservist since he began to feel he was of little aid out of the water system. His girlfriend for many years was Tula ( a.k.a. Aquagirl ) until her death during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. As a consequence of his grief and repeated telepathic maltreatment by Mento, among early factors, Aqualad lost his ability to control marine life. While he later regained this might during the Millennium event, it came with the condition that his commands must now be phrased as requests to the creatures to perform hope actions, although the animals obviously need little opinion. curtly before Zero Hour, it was Garth who convinced Aquaman to come out of his low and back into natural process. The two of them investigated a devour bomber and fought a villain named Charybdis. During the conflict, Garth at one point thought he spotted Tula in the outdistance. After disagreeing with Aquaman, Garth left his mentor and swam off to investigate the Tula spy. It was not, in fact, Aquagirl, but a “ shark-girl ”. Garth was captured by her people and chained up to a rock, left to be killed by a baneful whirlwind. He was rescued by Atlan, who transported him to another dimension. [ 3 ] Atlan took Garth to the Grotto, a convergence between dimensions, and spent the future several months to a year ( although only days or weeks passed on Earth ) training Garth in his mystic inheritance, preparing him for his eventual role as the defender of all submarine android communities. In addition to other charming abilities, Garth gained the ability to affect water with blasts of freezing or boiling energy. [ 4 ] He then returned to Earth and helped Aquaman fight off an invasion of the Hunter/Gatherers. Proving triumphant, Garth left with Atlan again for a newly mission. [ 5 ]
Read more : Illuminati Members, Enemies, Powers | Marvel
Atlan took Garth back to the Hidden Valley where he had to battle Slizzath, who intended to conquer all the oceans. Garth adopted a new list, Tempest, and was confronted by a revive Tula ( only to have her die again ) and comes out of the experience older and more suppurate, with a newfangled assurance in himself ( and a new consistent ). [ 6 ] Tempest resumed his character as Aquaman ‘s right hand man and besides joined the newly reformed Titans along with his honest-to-god friends. Some friction arose between the two heroes when Aquaman ‘s fan, Dolphin, left him for Tempest, but the two have since resolved their differences. [ 7 ] Tempest proceeded to get Dolphin fraught and temporarily freaked out over it. [ 8 ] Tempest and Dolphin decided to get married curtly thereafter. The Titans came to Atlantis to attend the marry. [ 9 ] Dolphin gave parentage barely as Atlantis was being attacked by the island nation of Cerdia. The baby was kidnapped by Ocean Master, who had orchestrated the war, but was successfully rescued. After the war, when Atlantis annexed the island, Garth decided to name the baby Cerdian ( Ian for abruptly ) as a gesture of good will. During the events known as “ Infinite Crisis “, the Spectre attacked Atlantis. Dolphin and Cerdian were two of the many casualties of the attack. Aquaman late died and was replaced by his aloof relative Arthur Joseph Curry .
Main article: Blackest Night
Garth assumed the duties of king of Atlantis after the new Aquaman had abandoned both the kingship and function as Aquaman. Garth was attacked by the own corpses of the original Aquaman, Tula and Dolphin who were Black Lanterns. Garth fought off Tula and Dolphin until he was stabbed in his chest of drawers and died instantaneously, Aquaman left him to fight Mera. Upon his death, a Black Lantern Power Ring flew onto his finger and attached itself bringing him back from death as a own being. Garth then stood beside his asleep wife, former girlfriend and adopted father as separate of the Black Lantern Corps. He then died for a second base and concluding time when the Atom and Atrocitus combined their rings ‘ power to destroy his reanimated cadaver.
Powers and Abilities
- Atlantean Physiology: The Atlanteans are offshoots of humanity that are biologically adapted to the deep ocean environment. All their abilities are by-products of their bodies being adapted to survive unprotected in the tremendous pressures of the ocean depths.
- Amphibian: Tempest, as an Atlantean, and the son of a wizard and Atlantean queen, can breathe both water and air, but must return to the aquatic environment at various intervals; this length can be prolonged by the humidity in the atmosphere. Tempest breathes by extracting oxygen from the water through tiny pores in his skin.
- Enhanced Sight: His ability to see in the murky depths of the ocean allows him exceptional night vision while on land. Tempest has excellent close range vision and he can see particularly well in low light.
- Enhanced Hearing: He has several times more acute than human capacity. His sense of hearing is particularly acute, although, because the rate sound travels on dry land is different than beneath the water, his hearing is directly linked to his vision.
- Enhanced Physiology: His bloodstream is filled with an amino acid that keeps his body from freezing in the ocean depths, although his own temperature is naturally quite high, allowing his muscles the heat they need to swim at such high speeds. This hybrid physiology means he can survive indefinitely underwater or on land (though he would still need occasional contact with water to survive) this length can be prolonged by the humidity in the air.
- Superhuman Strength: He can lift approximately 8 tons.
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Speed: He can swim at speeds of 97.76 knots (or 85 MPH).
- Superhuman Durability: He can survive at depths of up to 3,400 feet below surface level. His body contains fluids that adjust to give him buoyancy at varying depths. His body also produces gases that push out against the ocean pressures as heavily as they push in, preventing him from being crushed at great depths. His body is also highly impervious to physical injury.
- Marine Telepathy: Tempest has a form of telepathy which allows him to control and communicate with aquatic life at will.
- Magic: Tempest’s magical powers are so great that he was able to magically teleport the entirety of Atlantis into the past during the Imperiex War; further, the villainous Darkseid used him as a conduit to help open a Boom Tube powerful enough to send Imperiex back to the beginning of time.
- Energy Blasts: He is able to project powerful energy blasts and bolts of mystical energy from his hands.
- Hydrokinesis: He inherited the ability to mystically control water and water-based solutions for a variety of effects. He can manipulate water currents, create whirlpools and water columns, and boil or freeze vast bodies of water.
- Mystical Detection: He can sense and locate the presence of mystical beings and identify them as such on sight.
- Heat Generation: Tempest has the ability to generate massive amounts of heat energy from his left hand.
- Cold Generation: Tempest has the ability to generate massive amounts of cold energy from his right hand.
- Dimensional Travel: Tempest has been shown on numerous occasions to possess the ability to open and maintain dimensional portals for a time.
- Astral Projection: Tempest has shown the ability to project his own and others’ astral bodies from their physical forms through his sorcery.
- Possession: Once he has separated his or others’ astral selves from their physical bodies, Tempest can place them inside simple creatures (the shown example being small fish) so that Tempest and his astral companions can control their bodies as if they were their own.
- Telekinesis: Garth possesses a degree of telekinesis. While he has never shown the ability to outright lift objects with his mind, Garth was able to focus what little telekinetic ability he possesses to extract poisonous chemicals from Aquaman’s body.
- Invisibility: Apparently, one of the first things Atlan taught Garth during his mystical training was how to cast an invisibility spell. He has used this spell to make both himself and Man o’ War invisible in the presence of Hagen’s guards.
- Teleportation: While not an ability he can actively control, Tempest has the ability to teleport his body elsewhere when he is in seemingly mortal danger. This ability is one that happens instinctually, and it does not occur every time he is in a life-or-death situation. Still, it is one that he possesses.
- Leadership: Garth has shown the capacity for leadership. For a time, he served as High Councilor for Atlantis, ruling in Arthur’s stead while he was away. Another time, Tempest skillfully led the Titans in a mission to rescue Omen.
- Power Limitation: Tempest must return to water after a period of time or he will weaken. Garth can bypass this limitation by drawing moisture from the air and replenishing himself.
- Partial Color Blind: Tempest is partially color blind, with the colors blue, black, and green almost indistinguishable to him.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC’s Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character’s Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Garth met the predecessor to the “Tempest” moniker once while Garth was still using the name Aqualad.
- Garth was once stated to be the least powerful member of the Teen Titans until he awakened his magical powers.
|Aquaman Family member
This fictional character is or was an ally of Aquaman, and a member of the Aqua-Family and/or its supporting cast. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the “ Aquaman Supporting Cast “ class. See also: Aquaman Villains.
|Teen Titans member
This character is or was primarily a member of the younger superhero team known as the Teen Titans, in any of its respective incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Teen Titans members “ class.
|Black Lantern Corps member
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Black Lantern Corps members class. ”
This fictional character is or was chiefly a penis of the superhero team known as the Titans, in any of its respective incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Titans members “ category .
|Justice League member
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its diverse incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect worldly concern from both interstellar and domestic threats.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Justice League of America members “ class .