You have lots of choices when it comes to internet privacy. There ’ second a bunch to learn, such as understanding what a rearward proxy is or distinguishing between VPNs, proxies, and Tor. If you want dependable protection and encoding for your internet traffic, consider a VPN. Avast SecureLine VPN hides your data from snoopers and protects your on-line identity, and it ‘s besides much easier to set up than a proxy server .
There ’ s no exchangeable guarantee of protective covering with a proxy, particularly if you ’ re using one of the many web-based proxies available on-line. These public proxy services may slow down your servicing, and even worse, they may be insecure. rather, we suggest you learn how to set up a proxy waiter on Windows, MacOS, and the most popular web browsers .
If you ’ re configuring your browser to use a proxy operated by a company, school, or other exchangeable administration, some of these instructions may require you to contact your IT staff. This is the case particularly when you are asked to manually enter a script name, formally called a proxy auto-configuration ( PAC ) file. You may besides need to type in the proxy ‘s IP and port numbers. In both cases, turn to your IT help desk if you have n’t been given this information. If you ’ re using a proxy that you ’ ve purchased or created on your own, you ’ ll already have these details .
- How to find proxy settings in Windows
- How to set up a proxy server in Windows
- How to set up a proxy server on a Mac running macOS
- How to set up a proxy in Google Chrome
- How to set up a proxy server in Safari
- How to set up a proxy server in Edge
- How to set up a proxy server in Firefox
- How to set up a proxy server in Internet Explorer
- How to set up a proxy server in Android
- How to set up a proxy server in iOS
- Protect your online anonymity the easy way
How to find proxy settings in Windows
Before setting up a proxy server, you need to check the proxy settings on your calculator. The information in proxy settings can help you determine which type of proxy server you can set up .
hera ’ s how to find proxy settings on Windows :
- Click Start and blue-ribbon Settings ( the gear icon ) from the Start menu .
- Choose Network & Internet .
- Click Proxy in the leave empanel .
- here you can find the data you need related to automatic proxy settings and manual proxy settings .
How to set up a proxy server in Windows
here ‘s how to set up your Windows personal computer to use a proxy server on Windows 8 or Windows 10 :
- Press the Windows + I keys simultaneously to access the Windows Settings menu .
- On Windows 10, cluck Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy. On Windows 8, chink Settings > Network Proxy .
- Under the Manual Setup section, set the “ Use a Proxy Server ” toggle to On. Make sure the “ Automatically detect settings ” toggle is besides on .
- By default option, Windows automatically checks to see if your commercial enterprise, school, or local net already has an automatic proxy server setup quick to run for you. If it does, Windows tells you its appoint, and encourages you to follow its instructions .
Assuming that Windows finds a PAC file, in the Automatic Proxy Setup, set the Use Setup Script switch to On .
- Enter the script address and click Save .
Congratulations ! You ‘re done and quick to proxy .
How to manually set up a proxy in Windows 8 or Windows 10
not every organization sets up the action automatically. If you need to set up a proxy manually in Windows 8 or Windows 10, here ’ s how to do it .
- To access the Windows Settings menu, press the Windows + I keys simultaneously .
- On Windows 10, click Settings > Network & Internet > Proxy. On Windows 8 systems, suction stop Settings > Network Proxy .
Scroll down to “ Manual proxy apparatus ” and set the “ Use a Proxy Server ” switch to On .
- In the address field, type the proxy server diagnose or IP address. In the Port field, enter the proxy port issue. You can get these from your IT support technical school .
- If the proxy server is protected by a password, select the “ Proxy server requires password ” checkbox. Enter your account name and password in the Username and Password fields .
- Click Save .
That ‘s all there is to it. You ‘re now set up to use your proxy server on Windows. The following time you use the internet, you ‘ll be using the proxy server .
How to set up a proxy server on a Mac running macOS
here ‘s how to set up a proxy waiter on a Mac running macOS 10.15 Catalina. other macOS versions use basically the same commands .
- open System Preferences. One way to get there is to click on the Apple menu > System Preferences .
- Choose the Network icon to adjust connectivity settings .
- Select the type of network you use, which is normally Ethernet or Wi-Fi .
Click Advanced > Proxies .
To mechanically configure your proxy waiter settings, choose Auto Proxy Discovery. Click on Secure Web Proxy (HTTPS). type in the proxy server address and its port phone number in the fields on the correct .
- To use a proxy auto-configuration ( PAC ) file, blue-ribbon Automatic Proxy Configuration and enter the proxy address into the URL field .
- If the proxy server is protected by a password, select the “ Proxy server requires password ” checkbox. Enter your explanation name and password in the Username and Password fields .
- Click OK to save the proxy setup .
You ‘re now ready to surf the internet via your proxy .
How to set up a proxy in Google Chrome
By default option, Chrome uses your macOS or Windows proxy. To change your proxy settings from within Chrome, take the play along steps :
- Open the Chrome toolbar and choose Settings .
- Scroll devour to the bottom of the display. Click on Show advanced settings…
Scroll down to “ System ” and choose Open your computer’s proxy settings.
- future, go back to the instructions for your operating system listed above to set up your proxy server settings and follow them .
In short, to set up a proxy server in Google Chrome, you ‘re precisely doing the first few steps in the browser, and then completing the process in your machine ‘s operate system .
How to set up a proxy server in Safari
Like Chrome, Safari ’ randomness default fix is to follow the proxy configurations within your OS. here ’ s how to change your proxy settings from within Safari :
- Click on Safari in the browser toolbar. Choose Preferences .
Click on the Advanced check. Under “ Proxies, ” click Change settings…
- next, you must go back to the instructions for macOS listed above to set up your proxy server settings and follow them .
How to set up a proxy server in Edge
Edge is Windows 10 ‘s built-in web browser, and unless you tell it otherwise, it ’ ll use your proxy configurations in Windows. The latest versions of Edge are based on Chrome, so the shape is similar. The comply steps show you how to set up a proxy from within Edge :
- In Microsoft Edge, at the top-right corner, click the Menu push button. Select Settings .
- Scroll down to the Advanced settings section and click the View advanced settings icon .
Click the Open proxy settings push button .
- next, go back to the instructions for Windows 10 listed above, then follow them to configure your proxy waiter settings .
How to set up a proxy server in Firefox
Unlike early network browsers, Firefox does n’t default to using your system ‘s proxy settings. You ’ ll motivation to change your proxy from within Firefox :
- Open the Firefox menu and choose Options .
- Click on the Advanced icon .
- Select the Network check .
In the Connection Settings, blue-ribbon, Auto-detect proxy configuration for this network. When prompted, enter the proxy address .
- alternatively, in the Connection Settings, you can select, Use system proxy settings. If you choose that option, Firefox uses the proxy settings in your operate on system .
- Click OK to save your settings .
How to set up a proxy server in Internet Explorer
Please keep in take care that Internet Explorer is an outdated web browser. alternatively, switch to a browser that ’ s still receiving regular updates and documentation, such as Avast Secure Browser, Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Safari. Though since quite a few people and companies still use Internet Explorer ( IE ), you should know how to set things up when necessary .
As with other browsers, IE defaults to using your Windows proxy configurations. here ’ s how to set your proxy up from within IE .
- Open the IE toolbar and choose Internet Options .
- Open the Connections check .
- Select LAN Settings .
Check the “ Use a proxy server for your LAN ” box .
- When prompted, enter the proxy waiter list and port number .
- Click OK to save your settings .
How to set up a proxy server in Android
With Android, you must configure proxy settings for each network you use. In summation, the proxy will entirely be used by your world wide web browser. early internet applications may choose to use or ignore the proxy based on their own home settings. This is another cause why VPNs tend to be better choices — when you use one, it covers all the internet traffic from your device .
- open Android ’ south Settings and tap Wi-Fi to view a list of Wi-Fi networks .
- Long-press the Wi-Fi net name for which you want to change the proxy settings. Tap Modify Network .
Tap Advanced Options .
Tap Manual to change your proxy ‘s settings. Enter your hostname and proxy port .
If you have a Proxy Auto-Config ( PAC ) file, choose Proxy Auto-Config and Android will prompt you to enter the PAC address .
- Tap SAVE .
How to set up a proxy server in iOS
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi .
- Select the active Wi-Fi connection .
- Under HTTP proxy, chatter Configure Proxy .
Tap Manual to change your proxy ‘s settings. Enter your host mention, proxy port, and, if needed, your authentication username and password .
If your supplier supports Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol ( WPAD ), pat Automatic. If required, enter the Proxy Auto-Config ( PAC ) file placement .
- Tap back to the Wi-Fi selection window .
Protect your online anonymity the easy way
proxy servers have their uses, particularly within boastfully organizations. however, setting one up requires a morsel of work, and this is a job typically entrusted to network administrators and other IT professionals.
Avast SecureLine VPN is an internet privacy solution that ’ s both childlike to use and far more protective of your identity and on-line activities. A single click or tap of a button gets you encryption that keeps you anonymous on-line and prevents anyone from snooping on your sensitive personal information, such as your on-line bank, health information, or private photos. Enjoy true on-line privacy on your background, laptop or mobile device with a VPN that ’ south equally commodious as it is secure .