Option 1. Disable the Windows Update Service
Windows Update is basically just another Windows Service and can be turned off in a like manner to early services.
Follow these steps to stop Windows 10 updates:
- Fire up the Run command (Win + R). Type in “services.msc” and hit Enter.
- Select the Windows Update service from the Services list.
- Click on the “General” tab and change the “Startup Type” to “Disabled”.
- Restart your machine.
When you want to re-enable automatic updates you good follow the like routine except you select “ Automatic ” when choosing the “ Startup Type ”.
Option 2. Set Up a Metered Connection
If you are using WiFi to connect your Windows 10 machine to the Internet, you have the choice of setting up a meter connection. In a meter connection, bandwidth is conserved by alone automatically downloading and installing priority updates. Microsoft ’ s method of classification may remain a mystery, but driver and software feature updates that may cause constancy problems are minimized by opting for this option for stopping Windows 10 automatic rifle updates. To disable Windows 10 updates:
- Open the Windows Settings application (Win + I).
- Click on the ‘Network & Internet’ section.
- Open ‘Wi-Fi’ and click the ‘Manage known networks’.
- Select network and in ‘Properties‘ toggle the ‘Set as metered connection’ option to ‘On’.
For some reason, Microsoft lone offers this option if you are using a WiFi connection. If you connect to the Internet through an Ethernet cable you will not be able to set up a metered connection.
Option 3. Group Policy Editor
You can make changes to the Group Policy Editor if you are using Windows 10 Education, Pro or Enterprise editions. Users of Windows 10 Home edition are out of luck regarding this way of disabling Windows 10 updates. If you opt for this solution, security updates will still be installed automatically. For all early updates, you will be notified that they are available and can install them at your appliance. This is the way Windows update worked in the past. nowadays, Microsoft wants to eliminate the necessitate for novice users to engage in updates, but it has enforced this at the cost of flexibility for more experienced users. Here’s how to update your Group Policy Editor to prevent automatic Windows 10 updates:
- Launch the Run command (Win + R). Type in “gpedit.msc” and hit Enter to open the group policy editor.
- Drill down through “Computer Configuration” to “Administrative Templates”.
- Select “Windows Components” and then “Windows Update”.
- Choose the option on the right to “Configure Automatic Updates.”
- Select the option that indicates “Notify for download and auto install”.
- Click “Apply” and “OK”.
- Type “Windows Update” into the Start menu and select “Windows Update Settings.”
- Restart your computer to finish updating the group policy editor.
- Check for updates. You should be notified by Windows if it finds them but they should not be automatically installed any longer.
From this degree ahead Windows should notify you that updates are available and it is your duty to make certain that they get downloaded and installed.
Why Would I Need to Know How to Disable Windows 10 Updates?
function system, driver, and application updates can much lead to unexpected behavior on the calculator on which they are installed. One direction to protect yourself and your machine from unanticipated problems is to perform a backup before installing updates to your organization.
unfortunately, when automatic rifle updates are being installed without your approval, you can not take this precautionary footstep and face the possibility of having to resort to an older backup if you need to go back past the update. Many updates need to reboot your machine when complete and surely take up bandwidth while downloading. This can lead to slower reply prison term and unanticipated reboots that can cause havoc with your bring life. thus there are indeed valid reasons to turn off automatic rifle updates in Windows 10. good be careful not to turn the serve off and forget to check for updates. While automatic updates can be debatable, letting your arrangement lag behind critical updates can besides have serious consequences.