so, how do you easily hide those background icons ? This article will show you how you can hide your background icons by configuring a few settings. We ’ ll besides show you a few third-party programs that can help you with this. Let ’ s get started .
1. Use the Desktop Context Menu
One of the easiest ways to hide your desktop icons is through the desktop context menu. Let ’ s take a look at how to use this trick :
- First, navigate to the desktop and right-click on a blank space.
- Next, click View and uncheck Show desktop icons.
ultimately, to restore the icons, right-click on the desktop, chatter View, and check the Show desktop icons option .
2. Use the Local Group Policy Editor
You can besides hide your desktop icons by configuring some settings in the Local Group Policy Editor. however, this tool is only available in the Windows 10 Education, Pro, and Enterprise editions. If you own a Windows 10 Home personal computer, there is a room to access the Local Group Policy Editor .
now, here ‘s how you can get started with hiding desktop icons using the Local Group Policy Editor :
- Press Win + R to open the Run command dialog box.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Desktop.
- Double-click the Hide and disable all items on the desktop option on the right-hand side pane.
- In the next window, select Enabled, click Apply, and then click OK.
MAKEUSEOF VIDEO OF THE DAY
To restore your background icons, change the Local Group Policy setting binding to Not Configured or Disabled .
3. Use the Registry Editor
The Windows Registry Editor besides offers an easy room to hide your desktop icons. This built-in Windows cock helps you modify registry keys that control how your personal computer works .
Before you get started, back up the Windows Registry just in font you end up configuring the wrong settings .
Let ’ s now take a look at how you can hide background icons via the Registry editor program :
- Press Win + R to open the Run command dialog box.
- Type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Explorer.
- Next, right-click on a blank area on the right-hand side pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
name the DWORD Value as NoDesktop and weigh Enter. next, double-click the NoDesktop value and set its Value data to 1. Finally, press OK and then reboot your personal computer to save these changes .
In event the Explorer key is missing under Policies, you can manually create it by following these steps :
- Right-click the Policies key, select New, and click Key.
- Name the new key as Explorer.
- Next, follow the previous steps to create the NoDesktop value and set its Value data to 1.
alternatively, you can hide your desktop icons by following these steps :
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advanced.
- Locate and double-click the HideIcons value on the right-hand side pane.
In the adjacent window, change the Value data to 1 and wardrobe OK. finally, reboot your personal computer to save these changes .
4. Create a Hotkey
You can besides create a hotkey that ’ ll cursorily hide your background icons. This is handy to have on-hand if you want to remove the icons on your background repeatedly or at a here and now ‘s comment .
For this tutorial, we ’ ll prove you how you can create this hotkey using the AutoHotkey plan .
- To get started, download and run AutoHotkey. When you get to the setup page, click Express Installation.
- When you finish, navigate to This PC > Local Disc (C:) > Program Files > AutoHotKey and double-click the AutoHotkey application to run it.
- Close the Help page when it pops up. Next, go to the desktop and right-click on a blank space. From there, select New > AutoHotkey Script and name the script as Hide Desktop Icons or anything similar. Click Enter when you finish.
- Next, right-click the Hide Desktop Icons file and select the Edit script.
clear all the information on the script and then copy and paste the follow command :
;Press F12 to hide or unhide desktop icons
ControlGet, HWND, Hwnd,, SysListView321, ahk_class Progman
If HWND =
ControlGet, HWND, Hwnd,, SysListView321, ahk_class WorkerW
If DllCall("IsWindowVisible", UInt, HWND)
WinHide, ahk_id %HWND%
WinShow, ahk_id %HWND%
When you finish, save the charge and then close it. From there, double-click the Hide Desktop Icons file to run it. This program will run in the backdrop, and you ’ ll be able to see its icon in the system tray .
now, you can start obscure and restoring your background icons by pressing the F12 hotkey .
5. Use Third-Pary Programs
so far, we ’ ve explored how you can hide your desktop icons by configuring some settings or creating a hotkey. But if you ’ re a fan of third-party tools, then there are a few early options to explore.
Read more: How to change your Zoom background
Let ’ s take a search at two software programs that can help you easily hide your desktop icons :
Auto Hide Desktop Icons
Auto Hide Desktop Icons is a lightweight program with an intuitive interface. In addition to hiding background icons, this course of study can besides help you hide your taskbar .
When you run the plan for the first gear time, it ’ ll mechanically hide your desktop icons. then, to view your desktop icons again, left-click anywhere on the background or press the middle shiner button. By default option, this should display the icons for about five seconds .
To configure the settings on this app, click the More options push button and then follow the on-screen instructions. To restore your normal desktop settings, check the Disable box under Preferences .
Download : Auto Hide Desktop Icons for Windows ( Free )
NiteView is an easy-to-use tool with a aboveboard interface. This program allows you to hide and restore your background and taskbar icons with good a few mouse clicks. To get started, download and install NiteView and then run the app .
To hide your desktop icons, check the Desktop corner. If you want to display the program in dark mode, check the Nite Colors box. And if you need foster aid, click the Help button .
Download : NiteView for Windows ( Free )
Hide Your Desktop Icons Without the Hassle
When you plowshare your screen or capture screenshots, you no farseeing have to worry about your desktop icons. now you can just hide the desktop icons and restore them later by using any of the above methods .
How to Change the Look and Feel of Your Windows 10 Desktop
About The generator
( 96 Articles Published )
Modisha is a Tech Content Writer & Blogger who ’ s passionate about emerging technical school and innovations. He enjoys doing research and writing insightful content for technical school companies. He spends most of his time listening to music and besides likes playing video games, traveling, and watching action-comedy movies.
From Modisha Tladi
Subscribe to our newsletter
Join our newsletter for technical school tips, reviews, barren ebooks, and exclusive deals !
Click here to subscribe