How to create FTP server in windows 10
Having an FTP server on the home or external network is constantly easy and faster to plowshare and access files over the network. Windows 10 and 8.1 occur with a built-in FTP server feature under Internet Information Service features that need to be installed before use. In this incision, we walk through how to setup FTP Server on Windows 10. And Using WinSCP as windows node to connect to FTP Server. besides, there are some free FTP clients available by which you can transfer files between your personal computer and outside servers.
enable FTP in windows 10
To configure the FTP server on a Windows computer first, we need to Turn on FTP And IIS Feature .
- Press Windows + R, keyboard shortcut type appwiz.cpl and click ok.
- This will open Programs and Features,
- here click on ‘Turn Windows features on or off’ as shown image below.
eminence : If IIS was not installed early on a particular Windows 10 or 8.1 computer, you need to install early features of IIS besides ( as shown by arrow marks ). See the below screenshot for the actual requirements to run the FTP server on Windows 10 ( All ticked features need to be installed ) .
- Press OK to install the selected features.
- This will take some time to install the features, wait until complete.
configure FTP Server Windows 10
now After facility is completed, you need to configure the FTP waiter following the steps below .
- Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
- Then double click on Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- The IIS manager opens, here Expand the sites, right-click on it and click Add FTP Site.
Note: I have created a folder called ‘ windows101tricks FTP Share ’ ( Which we are going to share through the FTP server ) on C drive before reaching this footfall .
- Give a name for the FTP site and browse the local folder you want to share with others through the FTP server.
- You need to select the local computer’s IP address from the drop-down box on the next screen. I hope you have already set up static IP for the computer.
- And left the port number 21 as the default port number of the FTP server.
- Under the SSL option, select No SSL to make the connection without an SSL certificate.
- In a production environment for a professional FTP server setup, you may need to enable SSL, which requires a certificate.
- In the next screen, you can set permission for users to access the FTP site.
- Here you need to decide how others will be accessing the FTP share and who will be having Read-only or Read & Write access.
Let’s assume this scenario If you want particular users to have read and write access, then obviously they must type a username and password for it. other users can access the FTP locate without any username or password to view the content only, it ’ randomness called anonymous users access. immediately snap Finish .
Allow an FTP server through Windows Firewall
If you have Windows Firewall running on your calculator, then the security feature will block any connections trying to access the FTP server. Use the steps below to allow the FTP waiter through the firewall .
- Open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall.
- Click the Allow an app or feature through the Windows Firewall link.
Note: Nowadays, firewalls pull off by Antivirus application, So either you need to configure/Allow FTP from there or Disable Firewall auspices on your Antivirus
- Now Click the Changes settings button.
- Select FTP Server and make sure to allow it on a Private and Public network.
- Click OK.
Read more: How to register as a VIP in GTA Online
At this luff, you should be able to use your favored FTP node to connect your newly created FTP server from your local network .
configure the Router to Allow external connections
nowadays We need to Configure on Router and open TCP/IP port issue 21 to allow connections to your personal computer. So That your FTP server can be approachable from the internet and you can access it from anywhere. hera find the steps to configure most routers. ( For more specific instructions to forward TCP/IP ports, you should check your router ’ second manufacturer support web site. )
- First Open the command prompt, type command ipconfig and hit the enter key.
- Find out and note down the Default Gateway address (Router IP address)
typically, it ’ s a private address in the 192.168.x.x crop. For exercise, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 .
- Now Open your default web browser.
- On the address bar, enter the router’s IP address and press Enter.
- Sign-in with your router credentials.
Find the Port Forwarding section – normally, you ’ ll find this feature under the WAN or NAT settings.
Create a new port forwarding that includes the take after information :
- Service name: You can use any name. For example, FTP-Server.
- Port rage: You must use port 21.
- PC’s TCP/IP address: Open Command Prompt, type ipconfig, and the IPv4 address is your PC’s TCP/IP address.
now Apply the new changes, and save the modern router configurations .
How to Access an FTP server from any personal computer
here ’ s the quickest direction to test your FTP server after configuring the firewall and forwarding port 21 on your router .
- Open your default web browser.
- In the address bar, type your Windows 10 PC IP address, on an FTP link format, and press Enter.
- The address should look like this: FTP://192.168.1.199. or your public address.
- This will ask for Authentication Type your system Username and password to access the files you shared on the FTP share folder.
To access the FTP server from Different locations/Networks, you need to type the Static IP ( provided by your internet provider ). For exercise, your static IP is 11.03.68.445, you need to use ftp : //11.03.68.445 or your ftp : //your local hostname .
Download and Upload files, Folders On FTP server
You can besides use third-party applications like ( FileZilla ) to Download Upload, cope files, Folders between the node machine and FTP Server. There are multiple exempt FTP Clients available you can use any of them to manage your FTP server : FireFTP : Firefox browser FTP Client propagation FileZilla : an FTP Client available for Windows Cyberduck : FTP Client available for Windows
WinSCP : A exempt and open-source SFTP, FTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3 and SCP client for Microsoft Windows For example, I am using WinSCP.
- First, download and install the application.
- Open WinSCP, then Input the FTP Server details.
- Username is the FTP Server Windows username. The password is FTP Server Windows password & Click Save The WinSCP establishes a connection and list out all files folders available for download.
The leave side windows in your machine and right side is the FTP Server .
- Drag files from left to right will copy the file move to FTP SERVER.
- Drag files from Right to the left will copy the file move to the Client machine.
That ’ s all you have successfully configured the FTP server on windows 10 computers. besides, these steps ( setup FTP server ) are applicable to Windows 8.1, 8 and Windows 7 computers.
besides read :