What to Know
- Easiest: Build a virtual Windows box using WINE and install iTunes. Linux has no official iTunes app.
- Alternative method: Build a Windows box using Virtual Box.
This article explains how to use iTunes on a Linux machine using a virtual car running Windows 10. Instructions apply to WINE v. 5.0.3 and VirtualBox v. 6.1 .
How to Install iTunes on Linux With WINE
Your best bet for running iTunes on Linux is WINE. This program adds a compatibility layer that lets you run Windows programs on Linux. here ‘s what you need to do :
Reading: How to Download iTunes for Linux
- download and install WINE .
- check to see if your version of Linux needs any extras installed to support iTunes or its files. One common tool used for this purpose is PlayOnLinux .
- Download iTunes for Windows and install it. It will install in the like way as if you were installing it on Windows .
If the initial installation does n’t work by rights, try an earlier adaptation of iTunes .
Earlier versions may not have the latest features or accompaniment syncing with the newest io devices .
- once you ‘ve completed the facility, you should be running iTunes on Linux. This post at AskUbuntu.com has more extensive instructions on running iTunes in WINE .
How to Install iTunes on Linux With VirtualBox
This approach requires that you install VirtualBox on your Linux machine. VirtualBox is a unblock virtualization tool that imitates the physical hardware of a computer and lets you install operating systems and programs in it. It allows you to, for exemplify, run Windows from inside macOS or, in this case, to run Windows from inside Linux .
To do this, you ‘ll need a version of Windows to install in VirtualBox ( this may require a Windows facility disk ). If you ‘ve got that, follow these steps :
- Download the adjust translation of VirtualBox for your Linux distribution .
- Install VirtualBox in Linux .
launch VirtualBox and follow the onscreen instructions for creating a virtual Windows computer .
The facility process may require the Windows install phonograph record .
- With Windows installed, launch your favored Windows web browser and download iTunes from the Microsoft Store .
- Install iTunes in Windows, and you ‘re all jell .
so, while this is n’t sincerely running iTunes in Linux, it does give you access to iTunes and its features from a Linux calculator .
And that, or running WINE, is the best you ‘ll get .
Read more: How to Install Java on Windows 11?
Will Apple Release iTunes for Linux ?
Apple has sunset iTunes on Mac, replacing it with Apple Music. It ‘s still available on Windows, but only for download from the Microsoft Store .
Given this information, plus the relatively modest number of users and the cost to port and support programs on Linux, it ‘s highly doubtful iTunes will make the leap to that chopine .