While you can only mute early participants if you ’ re the meet host or co-host, Zoom constantly allows you to mute yourself. In this article, we ’ ll cover how you can mute yourself or disable your microphone in Zoom on your personal computer, Mac, iPad, or mobile device .
table of Contents
1. Mute Yourself With the Zoom Toolbar
The Zoom toolbar makes it simple to mute yourself, and the process is basically the lapp for both the personal computer and mobile app.
Reading: 5 Ways to Mute Yourself on Zoom
To mute yourself on zoom :
- Once you’re in the Zoom call, click or tap the mute button in the bottom left corner. The mute button should change to a crossed-out microphone icon and say “Unmute”. This unmute button indicates that your microphone has been turned off.
If the toolbar international relations and security network ’ metric ton visible and you ’ re using Windows or a Mac, all you need to do is hover your mouse over the Zoom window. If you ’ re using an Android or iPhone, simply tap the sieve and it will appear .
Note: The loudspeaker icon at the top-left of the screen merely turns your audio down thus that you can ’ thyroxine listen anything. It doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate turn the mute on .
2. Mute Yourself Using Zoom Keyboard Shortcuts
There are several helpful Zoom keyboard shortcuts on both Mac and PC. To mute yourself on Windows 10, press Alt + A. To mute audio on a Mac, press Shift + Command + A .
There are enough of other utilitarian shortcuts and tips to use in Zoom, including shortcuts that muffle participants ( quite than clicking Mute All or Unmute All in the participants window ) .
3. Enable Auto-Mute When Joining Zoom Meetings
Some people prefer to join a touch muted so that they don ’ metric ton cause unnecessary interruptions when they join. fortunately, Zoom has a dedicated set to allow users to do fair this.
To make certain you ’ ra muted whenever you join a Zoom meet on a personal computer or macintosh :
- Open the Zoom desktop app.
- Select the Settings cog icon at the top-right of the Zoom window.
- Click Audio in the left-hand panel.
- Scroll down and check the box next to Mute my microphone when joining a meeting.
To make surely you ’ re muted when you join a meeting on your earphone :
- Open the Zoom app.
- Tap Settings at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap Meeting.
- Toggle on Mute My Microphone.
4. Disable Your Microphone
Another choice that will ensure you are muted in Zoom is to disable your microphone directly via the arrangement settings. This option is only available on personal computer or Mac. If you ’ re using Android or iOS you could consider not allowing your Zoom app microphone permissions when the pop-up book appears .
To disable your microphone on Windows :
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Click System.
- Select Sound from the left-hand menu.
- Scroll down to Input, and underneath the input device drop-down menu, select Device properties (the input device will be your webcam if you don’t have a dedicated microphone).
- At the top of the window, check the box next to Disable.
To disable your microphone on a macintosh :
- Click the Apple icon on the menu bar and select System Preferences.
- Click Sound.
- Select the Input tab.
- Under Input Volume, drag the slider all the way to the left to mute your microphone.
5. Suppress Background Noises
If you ’ re muting your microphone because you ’ re in a busy or forte environment, Zoom has a background randomness suppression serve that might help. Combining this with a virtual background is a great way to look more professional despite having less than ideal circumstances .
To enable this setting :
- Open Zoom.
- Click Settings > Audio.
- Scroll down to Suppress background noise and check each level to see if it helps your microphone quality. There are three levels: Low, Medium, and High.
Note: Some people report that this causes their microphone not to work. If that ’ s the event, merely turn the setting back to Auto .
Muting yourself in the Zoom app is fine, but it ’ mho easy to double-click and unmute yourself by accident. If you ’ re paranoid that your microphone is transmitting sound while you ’ re supposed to be muted, you can use this template to disable your microphone in the computer audio settings. This way you can be certain that no sound is going through !