In the case of confirmation, you will discover the “ latency ” ( i.e., the length of the answer time ) by performing a ping test. A lower reaction time provides a better have, as even milliseconds can matter in situations, like on-line gambling, where a fast response is substantive .
If the ping fails, this can point to the need for further probe to locate the root cause. so, how does pinging a network work ?
What is ping exactly?
Users can send a ping dominate through a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. It ’ s a helpful utility that ’ south been around since the early 80 ’ randomness. The term comes from sonar engineering, which sends out a sound wave and then listens for a ping ( or echoes ) in render. The longer the interval, the farther away an object must be.
The same rationale applies to networks as data requests route around the ball. Pinging can besides call out network congestion or other latency problems, such as a server being down. Running a ping test is fairly aboveboard .
How to run a ping network test
The steps to executing a ping network test count upon the operational system you ’ rhenium using .
For Windows 10, go to Search in the taskbar and :
- Type “cmd” to bring up the Command Prompt.
- Open the Command Prompt.
- Type “ping” in the black box and hit the space bar.
- Type the IP address you’d like to ping (e.g., 192.XXX.X.X).
- Review the ping results displayed.
For Macs, follow the same cadence by opening Network Utility and inputting the hostname or IP address you ’ d like to ping .
For Linux, open Terminal. You can besides use the traceroute command to review the different IP addresses your request routes through. To do this, plainly :
- Open Terminal.
- Type “traceroute” followed by the IP address or URL you wish to trace.
- Hit Enter and review the results.
What are some common addresses to ping?
When performing your ping tests, you might do then by plainly checking your own internet connectivity. To accomplish this, you want to ensure that the IP address you ’ re ping is indeed up and functioning .
While every address could experience downtime at some degree, some dependable choices for you to ping include :
- 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 (OpenDNS)
- 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 (Cloudflare)
- 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 (Google DNS)
If you don ’ thymine receive a reaction when running a ping test for connectivity for these IP addresses, this probably means there is a problem on your end .
Understanding Ping results
All of those steps are well and good, but the whole march international relations and security network ’ t identical useful unless you can read the results. so, let ’ s dive into that .
The first thing you ’ ll see is the server ’ s host name. This will confirm you have an active voice joining to the server. Next are the number of bytes being sent to the server, which will typically show 32. The adjacent four lines indicate the response time from the server. You ’ ll see how many bytes of data were sent back, american samoa well as how many milliseconds the response took to return. TTL means “ time to live. ” This data shows you the full routers the packet will travel through before stop. If you see “ request timed out, ” it tells you that the packets couldn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate find the host, which indicates a connection trouble .
The Ping statistics section shows the overall numbers for the process. The packets lineage shows the numeral of packets sent and received, and tells you if any were lost. If they were, there ’ s like a association issue .
last, estimate round tripper times show the connection speed. The higher the time, the worse the connection .
Troubleshooting ping connectivity errors
When running a ping examination, you might come across a few different error messages. here are some coarse ones and what they might mean :
- Unknown host: If the IP address for the host you’re pinging can’t be resolved, you’ll likely get this message. Basically, it means that the nameserver of the domain isn’t recognized. Make sure you have the correct nameserver. If you do, the issue might lie with the name resolution process itself, at which point you’ll need to check on the availability status of the DNS or WINS server.
- Destination host unreachable: This could mean that either the PC doesn’t have a route to the destination you’re trying to ping, or the remote router doesn’t have a route to it. If the message only says “Destination host unreachable,” there’s no route from the PC. If it says “reply from
, the issue is with the router.
- General failure error: If you’re getting this message there may be a problem with your PC or laptop network card or your wireless adapter. Check your device driver, and make sure your device has an IP address.
- Request timed out: This message means the destination you’re attempting to ping is unreachable. If it’s definitely operational, the problem might be a firewall, or the destination might be dropping ping packets. Most of the time, this message is due to a firewall, so be sure to check your settings.
What are other uses for ping?
aside from performing the casual ping test, you can besides run ping continuously to maintain a constant inflow of information. In Linux, the ping application runs until the user chooses to stop the process. To do this, hit CTRL and C simultaneously. The command is the lapp in Windows. And to keep ping going interminably in that OS, type “ ping -t ” in the Command Prompt. Anything else… ? Yes, there is.
If you ’ re looking for more complete ping capabilities than are natively found in most operating systems, many third-party tools exist to chart and visualize your ping results. These can be helpful for creating quarterly reports for stakeholders .
Want more functionality ? PagerDuty works hand in hand with many popular ping monitor instrument integrations. You can centralize these tools into a single point of consumption, while gaining full visibility into your network health across your environment .
Try PagerDuty and see for yourself—start your 14-day spare test today. No credit card is required .