How to fax with a Windows 10 PC
There are three ways to fax with a Windows 10 personal computer :
- An online fax service (a virtual fax machine accessed through the internet).
- A fax machine (or multifunction printer/scanner/fax/copier) that connects to the computer and faxes through a landline phone line.
- With software (such as Windows 10’s included “fax and scan” program) which turns the computer into a direct replacement of a hardcopy fax machine.
- Option 1 – online fax services compatible with Windows 10
- Option 2 – fax through a connected fax
- Option 3 – using fax software
Option 1 – online fax services compatible with Windows 10
An on-line facsimile service is a dedicate facsimile number that is hosted by a overhaul provider .
Compared with facsimile software ( or a facsimile machine ), an on-line fax service offers the ability to fax directly from the Internet without a dedicate land line earphone line in your firm, ampere well as the ability to entree or oversee fax communications from anywhere you can entree the internet .
Interfaces are identical similar to a web-based e-mail report ( with the exception that you can send and receive faxes ), and features such as faxing through electronic mail, the web, and integration with popular programs such as the Microsoft Office Suite ( Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. ) are available.
Online facsimile services can besides be combined with other devices – for exemplar fax to and from another calculator, a pad, or a smartphone through the same account .
For broad details on on-line facsimile services compatible with Windows 10 and other operating systems, see our page on Online Faxing .
Option 2 – fax through a connected fax
many connected fax and multifunction printers have the option to fax through the machine from the calculator .
While specific options depend on the facsimile machine ’ mho manufacturer ( and the software they offer ), many units can send and receive faxes directly to the calculator through the facsimile machine. rather of having to print a document and then fax it ( or receive a document over the facsimile then scan it ), connecting a fax machine this room will let you send and receive faxes from the computer .
What you’ll need
To send an receive a facsimile from a Windows 10 computer through a connected facsimile or printer with fax, you ’ ll need the keep up :
- A computer running Windows 10
- A fax machine or multifunction (print / copy / scan / fax) printer that can fax from the computer
- An active land-line phone line to connect the fax / multifunction printer to. The phone line should not be a VoIP phone connection as VoIP signals usually scramble a fax signal – for more details on faxing with VoIP, see our page on “why does my fax machine not work on my VoIP phone line?“
- A document to send
Things to be aware of
- You will still need to connect the fax or multifunction printer to an active land-line phone line for this to work
- A fax or multifunction printer with “wireless” (such as wifi or Bluetooth) does not allow you to send and receive faxes without a phone line. The “wireless” portion of the fax/printer is only for communication between the computer and the printer – not between the fax/printer and the phone system. A “wireless” fax/printer cannot connect wirelessly to the internet to be able to send and receive faxes.
- When setting the system up, double check to see what happens with received faxes when the computer is not active. Some models will store received faxes in the fax/printer’s memory. The challenge with this approach is a power interruption will erase any stored faxes (that the fax machine has already marked as acknowledged).
Option 3 – using fax software
Windows 10 contains software already includes the ability to fax from your computer. The program is called “ Windows Fax and Scan. ”
To send ( or receive ) a fax from a Windows 10 Computer using Windows Fax and Scan you ’ ll need the follow :
- A computer running Windows 10
- Modem or Fax Board on the computer (the majority of computers that have a telephone line connection have this ability)
- A land-line phone line. The phone line should not be a VoIP phone connection as VoIP signals usually scramble a fax signal – for more details on faxing with VoIP, see our page on “why does my fax machine not work on my VoIP phone line?“
- A document to send
When using Windows Fax and Scan as a fax machine, the computer needs always to be on and connected to the phone line to receive a fax.
As well, the computer will not be able to use your internet joining to send and receive faxes – only the phone connection.
Configuring Windows Fax and Scan
Windows Fax and Scan is quick to configure .
1 ) Start the program through the start menu
2 ) Click on “ Tools ” then “ Fax Accounts ”
3 ) Select “ Add ” to have your facsimile modem installed
4 ) Choose between Automatic or Manual Answering of the phone line
5 ) Go to “ Tools ” and “ Fax Settings ” to configure extra options, including changing the automatic or manual reception, changing the number of rings before automatic pick up, configure TSID and CSID information, and mechanically save or print a facsimile the moment it arrives .
Sending a Fax in Windows Fax and Scan
To use the Windows 10 Fax, you need to use the “ Windows Fax and Scan ” program.
- Click on the START button, select All Programs, and select “Windows Fax and Scan”
- On the toolbar that appears in the program, select “New Fax” – if this is the first time that a fax is being sent, you’ll be directed to the new fax wizard. This will allow you to set all the required settings to send a fax.
- Create your fax, and then click send to send it to the receiving fax machine.
Automatically Receive a Fax in Windows Fax and Scan
In order to receive a fax from a Windows 10 Computer, you first gear need to set up the service in Windows Fax and Scan .
To set up the facsimile avail :
- Click the “Start” button, type “Fax” in the search box, then choose “Windows Fax and Scan”
- At the bottom of the left pane, choose “Fax”
- Select “Tools” and then select “Fax Settings”.
- Select the “General” tab, then ensure the “Allow device to receive fax calls” button is checked under “Send / Receive Options”
- Select “Automatically Answer after ___ Rings”, set the number of rings you want the phone to ring before the fax service answers, then select “Ok”
Manually Receive a Fax in Windows Fax and Scan
If you want to have the manual option to answer with the facsimile service when the call rings, you need foremost to have the Windows Fax and scan broadcast scat .
- Activate Windows Fax and Scan by clicking on the “start” button, searching for “Fax” in the search box, and then select “Windows Fax and Scan”
- Click the Fax option at the bottom left pane
- From the toolbar, select “Receive a Fax Now”. This will allow the computer to receive the fax when the phone rings.