virtual meetings don ’ t have quite the same ‘ ring ’ to them as face-to-face meetings, but with where we ’ re at in the world, they ’ re our best opportunity to stay connected with our colleagues while kicking goals .
Read on for a video conferencing template like no other ; honest, to-the-point and immediately actionable .
- How to set up your space for a Zoom call (or other virtual meeting)
- Step #1: Dress for success
- Step #2: Find a space with good lighting
- Step #3: Consider your background
- Step #4: Minimise external noise
- Step #5: Grab your phone and a glass/bottle of water
- Step #6: Gather your meeting notes
- Step #7: Minimise distractions + internet lag
- Step #8: Ensure you have backup audio options
- Step #9: Place a sticker or blue-tack a piece of paper next to your webcam
- Step #10: Join the virtual meeting room early
How to set up your space for a Zoom call (or other virtual meeting)
Step #1: Dress for success
indisputable, you aren ’ metric ton working from the office so there ’ second no motivation to rock a suit and tie, but that doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate beggarly you should resort to pyjama pants and an erstwhile rock concert tee with bantam holes scattered across it like a starry night .
Dress classy free-and-easy ( I know, what on worldly concern does that actually mean ? ) for your virtual meetings and even when you aren ’ metric ton having meetings. Grooming and dawn routines are an significant separate of maintaining your genial health and a positive, motivated mentality .
Get yourself into the headspace of work by getting dressed as if you were going to work. here ’ s some agile ‘ Classy Casual ’ outfit divine guidance to make it a little more straight-forward .
- A nice, plain coloured t-shirt, dress shirt or top (i.e. navy, black, white).
- Avoid wearing stripes as this shows up strange on camera – it’s a tried and true TV stylist tip!
- Wear comfy pants, slacks or jeans – no PJ bottoms or yoga pants here.
- Add your usual accessories – a pair of earrings, a necklace, a ring or a watch.
Step #2: Find a space with good lighting
ideally, you ’ ll want to find a space with good lighting for your Zoom call thus that you are clearly visible. Without dear lighting tied the best webcam will struggle to present high-quality television .
Need an example of what ‘ estimable light up ’ actually means ? Below are some examples for you .
Natural lighting hitting the back of the laptop = OKAY
Natural lighting hitting the screen-side of the laptop = PRETTY BAD
Diffused natural lighting – room next to balcony/outdoor area = OKAY
Bedroom floor with a blank wall and natural lighting = PERFECT
As you can see from these examples, the best way to achieve good lighting for your video conferencing calls is to either:
- Sit near a natural light source with the light hitting the back/side of your laptop screen
- Sit in front of a clear wall or blank backdrop to minimise visual distractions
- Set up a lighting source (like a lamp) behind or next to your laptop on your desk
- Use a selfie ring-light – if you have teenagers, ask them if they have one lying around
I live in a one-bedroom apartment with beautiful big floor to ceiling windows, so I ’ megabyte a sting corrupt vitamin a far as natural unhorse goes. Use the ‘ Photobooth ’ app ( if you have a Mac calculator ) to test out unlike areas of your home until you find the most well-lit spot for video conferencing .
There is one clear caution I have to make – although my most well-lit blemish is on the floor in my bedroom, I wouldn ’ triiodothyronine spend the entire day working from bed. This would wreak havoc on my night act and credibly lead me to getting poor sleep as my brain would begin to associate my bedroom with work. We go into more detail on this phenomenon in our good Sleep Guide .
Step #3: Consider your background
Okay, now that you ’ ve got your unhorse sorted it ’ s time to take a attend at what is in the background of your video .
To test this without starting a Zoom call, if you ’ re on a Mac open up the ‘ Photobooth ’ lotion. This way you ’ ll see precisely what guests in the video name will see .
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you have any laundry overflowing out of the shackle ? Consider moving it to another space for the duration of the call .
- Do you have a harsh light on in the room behind you that ’ randomness degrading your video choice ? Turn it off for the duration of the call .
- If there is a mysterious green glowing sludge on the shock behind you ? Wipe that up before the Zoom call, you don ’ triiodothyronine want your colleagues thinking you ’ re an alien, right ?
Step #4: Minimise external noise
Working from home is by and large pretty lull – yttrium ’ know, adenine long as you ’ re on your own without any children, pets or early adults… you lucky sodomite .
If you ’ ve got an crucial Zoom call coming up be certain to minimise external noise vitamin a much as possible .
Here’s a few quick questions to ask yourself before joining a call:
- Do you have your windows open ? Consider closing them to block out road noise .
- Do you have a dry or forte wash machine going in the setting ? Move away from these sources of noise or pause them if it ’ s a possibility.
Step #5: Grab your phone and a glass/bottle of water
In lawsuit your internet drops out or you need to switch to a call call, keep your telephone nearby throughout the duration of your Zoom video conferencing call. If you ’ ll be talking a lot throughout your meeting ( which you credibly will because being stuck at home is boooring ) grab yourself a methamphetamine of water system to quench your thirst mid-meeting .
Pro-tip: If you ’ re clumsy like me and have a history of spilling things on your laptop ( we ’ ve all been there proper ? ) consider filling up a water bottle rather of a glass and keep it on the floor next to you rather than on the same table as your computer. You ’ ll thank me later…
Step #6: Gather your meeting notes
Keep a musical composition of paper next to you with a penitentiary throughout your meet. Before the call begins, write down the key points that you ’ d like to discuss with your team and any numbers or details that you need to reference precisely .
Step #7: Minimise distractions + internet lag
You wouldn ’ metric ton coil through your telephone while in a real-life meeting, and you surely would put your call on mum mode, thus why not do the same with your virtual meetings ?
Minimising distractions is necessity for a high-quality virtual converge .
Here’s a few questions to ask yourself to help minimise distractions during Zoom calls:
- Is your phone nearby ? Put it in dumb manner to avoid ‘ dings ’ from notifications .
- Do you get notifications showing up on your laptop ? Turn on ‘ Do not Disturb ’ Mode
- close all unnecessary tabs on your laptop and call ( if you are hot-spotting from your earphone )
Here’s how to turn off notifications on your desktop during work hours (on a Mac computer):
Step 1: Click the Apple symbol in the top right corner of your screen.
Step 2: Click ‘System Preferences’
Step 3: Click on the search bar in the right hand corner of the screen and type in ‘notifications’
Step 4: Change your ‘Do Not Disturb’ hours to suit your work hours and select the checkbox
Step #8: Ensure you have backup audio options
sometimes, no matter how hard you try, the built-in computer audio will fail you. It could drop out during the call option or you could struggle to hear person else in your team while speaking due to their calculator audio .
In either site, the best thing you can do to combat this and prepare for a polish virtual meeting is to keep a headset or earbuds future to your laptop ready to be plugged in when and if you need them .
Step #9: Place a sticker or blue-tack a piece of paper next to your webcam
always noticed how easy it is to get caught up looking at the faces on screen when in a virtual meet ? While it ’ s only natural that our eyes are drawn to look others ‘ in the eyes ’, when we are looking at our screen we are actually not making potent eye contact with the other people on the shout .
To help shift your tune of sight, put a minor spine or part of blue-tack adjacent to your built-in webcam or external webcam lens .
Throughout the meet continue to draw your own focus spinal column to that minor gummed label next to the webcam – it ’ ll help oneself you ensure that you are looking immediately at the camera rather than away to the english .
Step #10: Join the virtual meeting room early
If you are the host of your team ’ mho Zoom call, be indisputable to ‘ arrive ’ 5 minutes early sol that you have the opportunity to check your audio and television quality .
With a few extra minutes up your sleeve you ’ ll be able to make certain that you are well prepare to kickstart the meeting a soon as everyone in the meeting turns up. There ’ randomness nothing worse than fumbling around with audio and video recording when you ’ re already 10 minutes past the original meet start time .
Read more: Integral of tan x (video) | Khan Academy
Did you find this blog post useful ? Be sure to share it around on LinkedIn or with your team via e-mail. It ’ sulfur certain to come in handy over the following few weeks .