What to Know
- PS4 DualShock 4: With Switch turned on and an adapter in the USB port, press L+R on Joy-Con controllers to pair.
- Xbox One Controller: Hold down the pairing button on the controller and press the adapter button.
- Then, on the PS4 or Xbox One, open Settings, and select Controllers and Sensors and Pro Controller Wired Communication.
This article explains how to connect PS4 controllers and Xbox One controllers to Nintendo Switch. The process is exchangeable for both controllers, and both require a accountant adapter. Instructions in this article apply to the official PS4 and Xbox One controllers and the Magic-NS Wireless Controller Adapter, but other third-party controllers and adapters besides work with the Switch .
How to Use a PS4 Controller on Switch
If your DualShock 4 is synced with a PlayStation 4 console, unplug the console before you begin then it does n’t interfere with the Switch adapter. To use a Playstation official DualShock 4 accountant with your Nintendo Switch, follow these steps :
- Place your switch in the dock and turn it on .
- Plug a Magic-NS adapter, available at Amazon, into one of the Nintendo Switch USB ports .
- Use the Joy-Con controllers to wake up your switch and then bid L + R to pair both Joy-Cons with the console .
blue-ribbon System Settings from the home plate screen .
Select Controllers and Sensors, and then select Pro Controller Wired Communication to turn it on .
Select OK .
- Connect the PS4 restrainer to the Magic-NS with a USB cable television. The LED light on the accountant should turn on, indicating it ‘s been detected .
- press and hold the black button on acme of the Magic-NS adapter until the lighter on the back starts flash .
- Press the PS button and the Share push button simultaneously on the DualShock 4. The adapter should automatically detect it .
Unplug your PS4 control from the arranger and use it wirelessly as if it were a Switch Pro Controller.
Read more: Apollo for Reddit
How to Use an Xbox Controller on Switch
The steps for using an Xbox One accountant with the Switch are the same as setting up a PS4 accountant. Hold down the pairing push button on the Xbox One accountant as you press the clitoris on the adapter until the Xbox LED light starts flashing .
The buttons on the Xbox One accountant are analogous to the Switch Pro. The alone major difference is that you must press View + Menu to capture a screenshot .
The Mayflash Magic-NS adapter comes packaged with a button-mapping steer and stickers that you can place over your non-Switch controllers.
Limitations of Using a PS4 or Xbox Controller With the switch
unfortunately, it ‘s not possible to wake up the switch from sleep mode with a non-Nintendo control, so you ‘ll distillery need a pair of Joy-Cons. You may besides have to occasionally undock your Switch and put it spinal column in to get the adapter to recognize other controllers. That said, since both Joy-Cons placid work while the PS4 restrainer is connected, you can play multiplayer games with your PS4 accountant .
The button map is intuitive, although it ‘s crucial to note that pressing the PS4 restrainer touchpad will take screenshots. The Share button on the DualShock 4 is besides mapped to the minus ( – ) button on the Joy-Con .
Which Controllers Work on Switch ?
Along with the Joy-Cons that come with the system, the Switch supports respective alternatives, including the Nintendo Switch Pro and Wii U Pro controllers. You can even use a GameCube restrainer if you have the GameCube adapter for Wii U. You can besides use one of the many third-party gamepads available for the Switch .
surprisingly, the Switch supports controllers for other crippled consoles, including the DualShock 4 and many Xbox controllers. Most controllers that work with the PS4 and Xbox One are compatible with Nintendo ‘s console, including arcade-style battle sticks like the Mayflash F300 .
Using a PS4 or Xbox One accountant is not ideal for playing Switch-exclusive games like Zelda : hint of the Wild, but they might be better for playing ex post facto games and 2-D platformers like Mega Man 11 .
Nintendo Switch Controller Adapters
While the Nintendo Switch has Bluetooth capabilities, you need a special adapter to connect third-party peripherals. The Mayflash Magic-NS Wireless Controller Adapter is a versatile creature compatible with many consoles, so it ‘s a worthwhile investing if you have a fortune of old peripherals .
other options include the 8Bitdo adapter, which besides supports Wii remotes and DualShock 3 controllers. Considering the eminent monetary value tag of the Switch Pro Controller, a $ 20 arranger is preferable if you already have units for other systems. Just make certain it ‘s compatible with the Switch .
You can only connect one control per arranger, so you ‘ll need two adapters to use multiple peripherals .