Examiners for the 287th annual Hunter Exam, the year the series ‘ main characters took the examination .
captain : not separate of the official examination, the nameless captain commands the ship that brings Gon, Leorio, and Kurapika to the mainland of Dolle Harbor for the preliminary phases of the Hunter Exam. He was besides the first paid agent of the Hunter Association the three would run into while traveling to the examination site. Quizzing lady : The nameless previous woman with her followers tests the mental intensity of candidates. She tests Gon, Leorio, and Kurapika and passes them. Her test is based on telling the campaigner that there is a time where you must be prepared to choose one from two persons you love when they are held captive. The candidate may only choose one or the other, not both. Despite the answer of the quiz is to stay dumb, the true nature of the test was for the campaigner to realize that the given scenario could go from trivial abstractedness to reality, and the option one would have to make then.
Reading: 287th Hunter Exam
Kiriko ( randomness ) : Beasts that can change their physical appearance. A family of Kiriko uses their shapeshifting abilities to pretend to be a human kin under attack by Kiriko ( second ) in their natural shape, in ordain to test Gon, Kurapika, and Leorio. They pass, and the Kiriko ( s ) reveal their true purpose-they are navigators who guide worthy Hunter Exam registrants to the examination locate .
Satotz : A Ruins Hunter and the appoint examiner for the First Phase of this Hunter Exam. He tests the examinees ‘ stamen by leading them on a marathon of initially stranger length, late found out to be more than 80 km through an belowground tunnel. Though he seems only to move his leg at a fast walk pace, the examinees are forced to run faster and faster to keep up with his speed. After they emerge from the tunnel, Satotz then leads the examinees through the Milsy Wetlands, a swamp filled with deadly man-eating animals, before leaving them at the site of the second Phase .
Buhara : One of the Second Phase examiners during this Hunter Exam, along with Menchi. He is a Gourmet Hunter and a hulking figure with a big pot and appetite. Buhara ‘s easy-going nature contrasts with Menchi ‘s highly selective one. Buhara was the estimate in the first round of second Phase. His condition for passing the round off was for the candidates to hunt down any violent farrow in the Visca Forest Preserve, and bring it back to him roasted and quick to eat. The entirely type of wild farrow in the forest turned out to be the Great Stamp, a giant star horned wild boar twice a grandiloquent as a human. even so, more than half of the candidates passed. Menchi : One of the two examiners for the Second Phase of this Hunter Exam, along with Buhara. She is finical when it comes to food, but it fits her profession identical well as she is one of the world ‘s best epicure Hunters. Coupled with Menchi ‘s sensitive and highly selective sense of preference and culinary skills is a physically fit body that enables her to carry out the search of singular foods and culinary experiences, many times in dangerous places. Her examination subject was to prepare a musical composition of sushi for her to taste. If it met up to her rigorous expectations, the campaigner would pass. however, the test did not quite go as plan, as everyone but Hanzo was baffled as to what sushi actually was. He by chance spills the data to the rest of the group, though this does not do much good. Each quality proceeded to deliver their estimate of “ sushi “ to Menchi, only to have it rejected. In the 2011 zanzibar copal, the examination topic was changed to preparing some sort of pork serve from the dangerous Great Stamp, a species of pig live in the nearby Visca Forest. Though the trick to killing them was revealed cursorily, about all of the candidates chose to plainly roast the pigs whole, resulting in poorly-cooked or boring pork barrel. The first serve she actually tests is Kurapika ‘s, since he has sliced his pork barrel and added vegetables and fruit in between, but considers it just arsenic bad-tasting as the others. therefore, none of the candidates passed at inaugural. however, Netero belated comes and convinces her to give the candidates another find since the challenge was preferably unfair ( by and large due to her refractory nature, Menchi did n’t flush taste most of the samples given to her ascribable to their shapes ). frankincense her test was changed to just boiling an egg, after retrieving it from the web of a Spider Eagle, which hung from the walls of a mile-deep canyon .
Lippo : A Blacklist Hunter and the examiner of the Third Phase, in the Trick Tower, and a prison warden. He concocts up many devious ideas, such as the hurricane storm and the count tag stages, that test the candidates in unlike aspects of group dynamics, both in a communal and individual battlefront. many candidates are forced to work together to have any luck of passing Lippo ‘s tests.
In order to coerce prisoners to fight Hunter Exam candidates in the Trick Tower, he offers to shorten the conviction of any convict by one year for every hour they stall the examinees. His prisoners :
- Bendot: Used by Lippo to test the examinees. He faces Gon, Killua, Leorio, Kurapika, and Tonpa. Nothing is known about Bendot. He seems to be just a normal muscled fighter. He fights the first round against Tonpa, who gives up immediately after the start signal as a way to sabotage his fellows, although Killua remarked that if Tonpa hadn’t, Bendot would have tortured Tonpa without killing him in order to delay their progress in the tower.
- Majtani: Used to test the examinees. Majtani is a strong-looking criminal who tries to intimidate by claiming to be part of the Phantom Troupe, but he is easily defeated by Kurapika. He has a tattoo of a spider on his back, along with hearts on his chest to show the number of victims he has killed. Kurapika proves that it is a fake; Phantom Troupe members will have their member number engraved onto the spider. He also states that they have killed too many people to keep track of the record. Majtani becomes the focus of a subsequent confrontation as both sides wager hours in order to conclude the battle in accordance with the rules.
- Leroute: Used to test the examinees. Leroute is a former psychologist who reveled in the misery of her clients. She would often intentionally manipulate her clients into committing suicide. During the Trick Tower portion of the Hunter Exam, she faced Leorio’s in a non-combat duel, and easily manipulated him into a series of bets that caused his team to lose fifty hours of time.
- Johness the Dissector: Another prisoner used by Lippo to test the examinees. Johness is allegedly the greatest mass murderer of Zaban City. He killed at least 146 people, all with his bare hands, which are powerful enough to pull the flesh from bone, and even crush stones. In Trick Tower, Johness was pitted against Killua in combat, whom he expected would provide the flesh he so loved to tear apart. Instead, Johness has his heart swiftly pulled right out of his chest by Killua, who then crushes it right in front of Johness’ eyes. Killua later commented that despite Johness’ number of victims, he was still only an amateur killer.
The remaining 24 examinees are taken to Zevil Island. Each one of them is given a calling card with a count that represents the badge phone number of his target. Every one of the applicants must get the badge of his target while protecting his own. A target ‘s badge equals to 3 points, and keeping one ‘s own badge is besides 3 points, while any other badge is worth a unmarried point. To pass this stage one must get a full of 6 points by any way they can. 9 people passed this stagecoach including 6 rookies .
|281 Agon||80, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||Dead||0|
|301 Gittarackur||371||301, 371||6|
|362 Kenmi||80, 281, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||Alive||0|
|294 Hanzo||197||294, 198, 362, 89||6|
|404 Kurapika||16||404, 16||6|
|103 Bourbon||80, 281, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||Dead||0|
|99 Killua||199||199, 99||6|
|191 Bodoro||34||191, 34||6|
|34 Ryu||80, 281, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||?||0|
|199 Umori||362 or 89||Alive||0|
|197 Amori||362 or 89||Alive||0|
|405 Gon||44||405, 44||6|
|44 Hisoka||384||384, 80, 118, 281||6|
|105 Kyu||80, 281, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||Alive||0|
|403 Leorio||246||403, 246||6|
|89 Shishito||80, 281, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||?||0|
|53 Pokkle||105||53, 105||6|
|371 Goz||80, 281, 118, 294, 404, 198 or 53||Dead||0|
Badge number 197 was lost somewhere in the island. It can be inferred that Hanzo took badges 362 and 89 from Umori and Amori .
Netero : The Chairman of the Selection Committee for the Hunter Exam. Presiding over it, Netero has final authority over every stage of the examination. Netero is assisted by his secretary Beans, who helps organize the Hunter Exam and presents the successful candidates with their license. In his first appearance, he makes a 60-foot free-fall startle from the Judging Committee ‘s colonel blimp without a parachute, landing square on his feet without any sign of price. Netero is the Grand Master of the Shingen-ryu manner of kung fu. interview with Netero :
|Candidate||Who interests you the most||Who would you avoid fighting|
|44 Hisoka||99 Killua and 405 Gon in second||405 first and 99 second|
|53 Pokkle||404 Kurapika||44 Hisoka|
|99 Killua||405 Gon||53 Pokkle|
|191 Bodoro||44 Hisoka||405 Gon and 99 Killua|
|301 Gittarackur||99 Killua||44 Hisoka|
|405 Gon||44 Hisoka||99 Killua, 403 Leorio, 404 Kurapika|
|294 Hanzo||44 Hisoka||44 Hisoka|
|404 Kurapika||405 Gon, 44 Hisoka|
|403 Leorio||405 Gon||405 Gon|
Beans : Netero ‘s secretary. He helps to organize a batch of things during Hunter Exam. Highly actual and exacting in his words, he was the one who gave a presentation on the uses of the Hunter License to the successful candidates of the examination .
Wing ( Gon and Killua ) : An assistant maestro of Shingen-ryu kung fu ; his chief pupil is Zushi. He meets Gon and Killua at the Heavens Arena and finally teaches them Nen. Although he initially refuses to train the two ( evening lying to them about the purpose of Nen ), he changes his heed when they advance to the two-hundredth deck of Heavens Arena, realizing they could die or be ill injured from the “ trigger ” rituals of other Nen users. For the following respective months he teaches them the basics of Nen, after which he announces they have passed the secret final requirement for being a Hunter. He does, however, reasonably fear their huge electric potential. Wing ‘s teacher was Biscuit Krueger, who incidentally becomes Gon and Killua ‘s second gear teacher. Izunavi ( Kurapika ) : Kurapika ‘s maestro. He met Izunavi while looking for a job as a Blacklist Hunter. When Izunavi finds out that Kurapika is a Hunter, he suggests to teach him Nen. Later, Izunavi discovers Kurapika can become a specialist when he activates his scarlet eyes .
- Leorio was informed that had he intervened in the match between Gon and Hanzo, Gon would be disqualified; however, when Killua attacked Bodoro in the latter’s match against Leorio, it is Killua who was disqualified, possibly due to Killua having killed a fellow candidate, or because, as Netero stated, Leorio was likely to win in either case.
- Ponzu and Pokkle are the only deceased examinees of the 287th Hunter Exam who did not die during the exam.
- Pokkle is also the only graduated of the 287th Hunter Exam who has already died.
Intertextuality and References
- In the Naruto franchise, the Forest of Death and tournament preliminary in the Chūnin Exam are likely based off of the Zevil Island stage and tournament stage in the Hunter Exam due to their strong similarities.
- Similarities also exist with the preliminary stage of Maximilian Pegasus’s Duelist Kingdom tournament from the earlier Yu-Gi-Oh! manga series, although to a significantly lesser extent.