- For a similar character, see Part 7 SpoilersJohnny Joestar
Reading: Jonathan Joestar
I strive to be a true gentleman ! There are times when a gentleman has to be brave and competitiveness, flush when his opposition is bigger than he is and he knows he ‘s going to lose ! (
Boku wa hontō no shinshi o mezashite irukarada! Aite ga ōkī yatsudakaratte makeru to wakatte irukaratte shinshi wa yūki o motte tatakawanakute wa naranai toki ga arukarada zo!!
https://thefartiste.com/File:JonathanTrueGentleman.wav —Jonathan Joestar, Chapter 1 : prologue Jonathan Joestar ( ジョナサン・ジョースター, Jonasan Jōsutā ) is the main supporter of the beginning part of the JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure series, Phantom Blood, and the first gear JoJo of the series. His bequest extends throughout about the entirety of the beginning six parts of the series, with major characters such as Joseph Joestar and Jotaro Kujo being his descendants. Jonathan is the son of the affluent businessman George Joestar I and Mary Joestar. He is an good, kind, and convinced man whose life is fraught with tragedy after meeting his adopted older brother – and series antagonist – Dio Brando. In his battle against Dio, Jonathan becomes a Ripple drug user under the care of his chief Will Anthonio Zeppeli. Jonathan is the biological father of Giorno Giovanna, the supporter of Vento Aureo, ampere well as a handful of other bastard young .
Adhering to the norms of the priggish earned run average, Jonathan ‘s childhood attire at age twelve consisted of a collar shirt, breeches, and a pair of long socks with dress shoes. This was either accompanied by a blazer, vest, and tie, or a pair of suspenders. As a lord, he ‘d sometimes replace the link with a ribbon-like his don ‘s. [ 10 ]
- When boxing, he wears a casual boxing outfit consisting of a tank top, shorts, and boxing gloves.
- During his time with Erina, Jonathan also dons a Newsboy cap
- When treading in the river, he wears a striped two-piece swimsuit.
As a twenty class erstwhile pornographic, Jonathan is a tall ( 195 cm/6 ‘ 5 ” ), highly muscular individual with a gentleman ‘s poise. His typical overdress tends to reflect his noble setting, characterized by stylize tunics over long-sleeve shirts. Reoccurring articles of clothe include a cravat, bow marry, midst boots and a invest .
- At home, Jonathan wears semi-formal attire consisting of a collared shirt, tie, and jacket with rolled-up sleeves.
- During University Rugby matches, he wears a standard striped rugby shirt and pants with long socks.
- When he sets out to Ogre Street to find a cure for his father’s illness, Jonathan dons an entirely new outfit made up of a padded jacket and pants, complete with a deerstalker
- During his training with Zeppeli, he strips down to a stylized tank top with wristbands, and at some point a circlet.
- On his quest to Windknight’s Lot, Jonathan dons a double-layered tunic with a bow tie and Deerstalker
- After his fight with Tarkus, he wears a close-fitted tank top with capped sleeves for the rest of the journey. In the anime, these sleeves are converted into shoulder pads.
- During his honeymoon and final encounter with Dio, he wears an ornate suit with a long tail over a collared shirt with straps on the shoulders, and a cravat.
modern depictions of Jonathan show him wearing a headband patterned with triangles much similar to the one both Caesar and Joseph preceptor .
The series is known for alternating colors between media, the information presented below may or may not be canon.
(Generally blue clothes over a white shirt and red tie)
(Blue vest over a turquoise shirt, black pants, red bowtie)
(Black with blue highlights)
(Navy suit and green vest over light gray shirt and pink tie)
(Blue-gray suit and gloves, tan backpack and brown shoes)
(Fair, later tan)
(Navy suit and light blue-gray vest over white shirt and brick red tie)
(Orange and black shirt, green pants, brown boots)
(Brown blazer/pants, dark blue vest, white shirt, magenta bowtie)
(Blue shirt, brown shoulder pads, and gray pants)
(Black with purple highlights)
Read more : JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood (film)
(Purple shirt and pants, brown boots)
(Black with blue highlights)
(Blue shirt and gray pants, brown boots)
I … I ‘m no pit for [ Dio ] … but I ca n’t afford to lose now ! If I lose, I ‘ll be living in Dio ‘s tail for the rest of my life sentence ! Above all else, I have to fight to reclaim Erina ‘s honor ! (
か…かなわない… で…でも負けられない…もしこのケンカで負けたらこれから一生ディオの影でオドオドと生活しなくてはならない！ な…何よりもエリナの名誉を取りもどすため戦わなくてはならない！
Ka… kanawanai… De… demo make rarenai… moshi kono kenka de maketara korekara isshō Dio no kage de odōdo to seikatsu shinakute wa naranai! Na… naniyori mo Erina no meiyo o tori modosu tame tatakawanakute wa naranai!
—Jonathan, chapter 4 : Dio Brando the Invader, Part 3 During his childhood, Jonathan was proud and mischievous, however docile. Despite already aspiring to be a “ true gentleman ”, [ 15 ] Jonathan lacked manners and largely behaved like a normal child. His mother, having died before he could remember her, and his chap boys ostracizing him because of his condition left Jonathan slightly lonely. [ 16 ] While at first, Jonathan did n’t have his future forte of will, Dio unwittingly became the catalyst of his growth by pushing him to the border and humiliating his girlfriend Erina Pendleton. [ 17 ] however, he did have the kindness and courage to immediately jump to Erina ‘s rescue against two bullies bigger than him despite not knowing her. [ 15 ] Regarding Jonathan as a character Araki has stated that Jonathan was difficult for him to design. [ 18 ] He wanted to create a “ first Joestar ” that could function as a symbol of purity and dignity quite than a alone, fresh character. This is reflected in his goals and character, Jonathan strives to become a “ true valet. ” He carries his Joestar name with pride, never betraying the code of conduct he has set for himself and will treat any fellow homo with respect unless they prove malefic .
JoJo is determined to rid the universe of Dio ‘s evil Jonathan besides possesses a boisterous inner strength and the drive to face and overwhelm conflict, which Dio calls an “ explosive power ”. That force, fueled by his affection to his friends and love ones, enabled him to overcome the direst situations, notably managing to save his wife Erina when their boat was overcome with zombies and he was fatally wounded. [ 19 ] Jonathan fights for what he believes in, and once he is committed to something, he wo n’t back down until the act is done. During his travel to find a bring around for his father ‘s illness, he was ambushed by a band of misfit hoodlums. He did not so much as wince as he grasped an attacker ‘s knife within his hand, saying he had much more riding on the battle than merely four fingers. [ 20 ] Explaining his reason for going easy on Speedwagon As a gentleman, Jonathan is besides kind and cocksure. Jonathan has a mentality where he tries to imagine the consequences his actions would have on other people, even if they appear to be enemies. [ 21 ] He is gentle and sympathetic, feeling pain even as he vanquishes a zombified policeman. Despite his skill in contend, he will never seriously harm a person without a valid reason. even after everything Dio has done, Jonathan calm considers him his brother, and sheds tears for him. [ 22 ] His courteous nature ampere well as his mental fortitude and ability to withstand fear and trouble is the main reason Speedwagon decides to aid him on his travel. During his life, Jonathan has constantly had an pulsation to save others, beginning with Erina, and ending with his think of a nearby baby barely as he was agonizing from Dio ‘s attack. [ 7 ] yet Jonathan can feel righteous craze at the evil of his foes and will conduct judge by vanquishing them. He admitted that his reason for fighting Dio was n’t out of duty for saving the world, but to avenge his love ones that Dio had killed. [ 23 ] furthermore, he has no commiseration for truly despicable individuals he is not conversant with such as Doobie. [ 24 ] With his courage and intent, Jonathan sets a bequest as the first JoJo of the serial .
Jonathan is firm enough to drag two men with him Jonathan had lived a rough past as the son of an aristocrat and was known in his childhood to have been at least a competent boxer. In his college life, he played Rugby alongside Dio Brando, and was revered as one of the two stars of Hugh Hudson Academy. even anterior to learning Ripple, Jonathan was able to hold his own against three thugs, Speedwagon among them, with sheer might and willpower. He was capable of wielding assorted weaponry held by the suits of armor in the Joestar Mansion. He had besides performed incredible feats of persuasiveness, such as jumping from the hilt of a sword and hoisting himself up to the second floor while doing a flip over the guardrails, despite his arm being inhibited by a spear pierced into his pectorals. possibly his greatest display of persuasiveness was after being revitalized and empowered by Zeppeli ‘s Ultimate Deep Pass Overdrive, where he ripped through 3 sword bars clutching his neck, a feat that even the mighty automaton Tarkus outright admitted he was incapable of .
Jonathan studies the Stone Mask Jonathan is shown to be an intelligent person and a identical competent thinker during battles, constantly coming up with modern strategies mid-combat to defeat foes such as Bruford and Dio. academically, Jonathan graduated from university after having written a celebrated dissertation in archeology. [ 9 ] He has meticulously studied the Stone Mask, going a far as identifying the spots in the brain it would pierce, [ 20 ] but did n’t discover its true aim himself. In a crusade, Jonathan is adept at think of moves on the spot and using the environment to his advantage. On several occasions, Jonathan was quick to formulate plans even in a consequence of crisis. still agonizing over the death of his father, Jonathan had to fight a vampirized Dio and quickly thought about burning down the Joestar Mansion in order to cancel out Dio ‘s regenerative abilities. Likewise, agonizing from a wind in the throat which besides led to a miss of oxygen going to his brain, Jonathan managed to use his survive Ripple on Wang Chan to dispose of a horde of zombies and Dio at the lapp clock by controlling Wang Chan ‘s body to make the boat explode. Jonathan even notably used his belt as a supplementary whisk before ever acquiring the Ripple, american samoa well exploited the fact that Windknight ‘s Lot was a coal mining township to deduce that a lake would have air pockets at its bottom to surprise Bruford with an unexpected production of Ripple .
Jonathan has an arsenal of ancient martial art techniques, most inherited from Will A. Zeppeli and involving Ripple, at his disposal. Some are his original initiation, most ending with “ overdrive ” .
Zoom punch ( ズームパンチ
)Debut: Chapter 20: chapter 20 : Jack the Ripper and Zeppeli the Strange, Part 3 / Episode 5 : The Dark Knights Jonathan launches his fist forward and strikes his opponent. First used by Zeppeli, the attack involves a ripple breathe proficiency that dislocates and stretches the joints to extend the branch and give it greater pass while besides using the same Ripple to dull the trouble caused by the act. Due to the increased distance, the strike immediately reaches the opponent ‘s face foremost, which from that position seems “ zoomed in. ”
Sendō Ripple Overdrive ( 仙道波紋 疾走 ( オーバードライブ )
Sendō Hamon Ōbādoraibu, lit. Hermit Way/Path Ripple Dash
)Debut: Chapter 23: chapter 23 : ripple Overdrive, Part 1 / Episode 4 : overdrive Jonathan charges a ripple wave through his arm and releases it into a solid aim, such as a wall or partition. The Ripple can travel through and reach anything on the other side, and anything hit by the Ripple is sent flying in a helix. If the enemy is an Undead, the Ripple will enter their bloodstream and destroy them from the at heart .
Turquoise Blue Overdrive ( 青縁波紋疾走 ( ターコイズブルーオーバードライブ )
Tākoizu Burū Ōbādoraibu, lit. Turquoise Blue Ripple Dash
)Debut: Chapter 28: chapter 28 : Tarkus and the Dark Knight Bruford, Part 3 / Episode 6 : pluck for Tomorrow appropriately the strongest place to use the Ripple, Jonathan can release high powered tempests while submerged with adequate force to blast enemies away. In most cases, a good fortune of the water is propelled outward equally well, draining something like a lake to waist-deep depth .
Sunlight Yellow Overdrive ( 山吹き色の波紋疾走 ( サンライトイエローオーバードライブ )
Sanraito Ierō Ōbādoraibu, lit. Bright Golden Yellow Ripple Dash
)Debut: Chapter 29: chapter 29 : Tarkus and the Dark Knight Bruford, Part 4 / Episode 6 : gutsiness for Tomorrow It is a annihilative and highly solid Ripple-infused strike with power comparable to the sun itself and has the ability to completely obliterate the Undead. Jonathan does a rapid-rush of Ripple-infused punches and the approach is luminary for producing a very clear-yellow color akin to sunlight .
Life Magnetism Overdrive ( 生命磁気への波紋疾走 ( オーバードライブ )
Seimei jiki e no Ōbādoraibu, lit. Existence Magnetism Ripple Dash
)Debut: Chapter 31: chapter 31 : The Knights ‘ Ruins / Episode 6 : pluck for Tomorrow With the aid of Zeppeli, Jonathan can draw all the leaves in the immediate area and magnetize them in concert to form one giant leaf, which can be used as an impromptu-hang glider. Human bodies have a dim magnetic playing field and can act as a live magnet when the power of the magnetic field is increased by this Overdrive. That magnetic field is transferred into the leaves, creating a massive magnetic plane .
Alongside the attacks, the Ripple has respective other uses in fight. A skilled Ripple user such as Jonathan has the ability to walk on water, tone objects and increase their authority, increase jump altitude, and much more .
HealingDebut: Chapter 18: chapter 18 : Jack the Ripper and Zeppeli the Strange, Part 1 / Episode 4 : overdrive The Ripple can heal fracture bones ampere well as subside one ‘s smell of trouble. When Jonathan grabs a tree arm, it revives shriveled flowers, causing them to bloom again. During his struggle with Tarkus, he was besides able to heal his break neck after receiving the Deep Pass Overdrive from Zeppeli .
Ripple Detector ( 波紋探知機
)Debut: Chapter 23: chapter 23 : ripple Overdrive, Part 1 / Episode 4 : overdrive Jonathan imbues a contain liquid or object such as wine with the Ripple. The Ripple will pass through his body and the environment, enabling Jonathan to sense his surroundings and detect others even through walls .
Sticking Ripple & Repelling Ripple ( くっつく波紋とはじく波紋
Kuttsuku Hamon to Hajiku Hamon
)Debut: Chapter 24: chapter 24 : ripple Overdrive, Part 2 / Episode 5 : The Dark Knights A Ripple exploiter is able to use the Ripple as a repellent and to adhere either themselves or objects to other objects and liquids. Jonathan uses this to walk on body of water and subsequently to expel the malice from Doobie ‘s snakes out of his body .
- Main article: Luck and Pluck
Luck and Pluck ( 幸運 ( ラック ) と勇気 ( プラック )
Rakku to Purakku, lit. Good Luck & Courage
)Debut: Chapter 30: chapter 30 : sleep as a Hero / Episode 6 : gutsiness for Tomorrow 
After his get the better of, Bruford gave Jonathan his sword. It played a major role in the final battle against Dio, where Jonathan was able to counter Dio ‘s freezing ability by infusing the sword with Ripple, in regulate to avoid direct contact with Dio ‘s body .
When DIO awakened The World, Jonathan ‘s body besides awakened a Hermit Purple -like Stand power with semi-precognitive abilities. [ 26 ] Similar to Hermit Purple, it can produce psychic photographs by striking a camera or a crystal ball, which DIO used to track the Joestars and their friends ‘ current location to send Stand Users after them. DIO was even able to tell when Joseph used Hermit Purple to take a psychic photograph of him, and instinctively knew that his acquisition of a Stand besides awoke Stand abilities in Jonathan ‘s descendants .
In the light novel JOJO’S BIZARRE ADVENTURE OVER HEAVEN, this Stand shares the same name as Hermit Purple and is called “ Hermit Purple # 2 ”. In JORGE JOESTAR, this Stand is alternatively named “ The Passion “ and takes the form of a crown of thorns, along with besides being able to watch the futures of anyone that is akin to Jonathan .
Phantom Blood The brave and baronial characters from
- George Joestar I: In his youth, Jonathan’s father was very strict on him, correcting his lack of table manners and berating his studies, while ignoring the harm that Dio was bringing on his son. This was perhaps made worse by the fact that Jonathan’s mother had died some years ago, hardening George and causing him to be harsher on his son. Regardless, Jonathan still loves his father greatly, angrily beating up Dio, whom he had been friends with for the past seven years, for poisoning his father. When Dio throws a knife at Jonathan, George sacrifices himself to block the knife and comments that “It’s not so bad to die in your son’s arms”.
- Mary Joestar: Though Jonathan’s interactions with his mother are never seen as she is killed while he was still an infant, he is shown to love her greatly, looking at her picture wistfully and crying right after Dio ruins his life with his arrival.
- Danny: Jonathan and Danny have forged a strong bond since Danny saved Jonathan from drowning in the river. Jonathan is shown to be very angry when Danny was kicked by Dio and had sobbed uncontrollably when the household had buried Danny. Danny still shows up in his master’s memories, when Jonathan remembers having fought with Danny over a toy gun.
- Erina Pendleton: Jonathan’s love interest and eventually his wife first hands him a handkerchief shortly after he is beaten down by bullies. Jonathan professes his love for her afterward, which she is shown to accept at least in part until Dio enters and steals her first kiss in order to upset the two. Erina does return after the Joestar mansion burns down, however, and nurses Jonathan back to health, igniting the relationship between the two once more. The two are married after Jonathan manages to defeat Dio with his Ripple, and their relationship continues well into Erina’s old age.
- Giorno Giovanna: Many years after Jonathan’s death, DIO uses Jonathan’s body to get around in the world now, during which he sires 4 children, one of which is Giorno. Of all the children, Giorno is born first and carries the birthmark thanks to Jonathan’s DNA present in his body. While a slightly darker side of Giorno exists, resembling DIO’s ruthlessness (albeit towards evil people), he retains a noble heart and desire to help innocents, closer to Jonathan’s ideals.
- Joseph Joestar: Joseph is the grandson of Jonathan. Joseph had no real knowledge of his grandfather prior to his battle with Straizo because of Robert E. O. Speedwagon keeping the events of Jonathan’s battle secret. However, Joseph holds great respect towards him due to his relationship with Erina and friendship with Speedwagon. When Caesar insults Jonathan, it enrages Joseph for bringing up the past. His respect for his grandfather is even more apparent in his later years, as he’s shown to be angry that DIO is now using Jonathan’s body as his own.
- Robert E. O. Speedwagon: As Jonathan’s most loyal friend and an enemy at first, he later joined Jonathan on his quest after seeing the protagonist’s dedication and courteous nature. In his later years, he founded The Speedwagon Foundation, which has become the Joestar Family’s most useful asset in battling Stand users and supernatural research.
- Will Anthonio Zeppeli: Jonathan, upon meeting Zeppeli, was initially perplexed by his appearance and strange abilities. After Zeppeli explains his actions and the significance of the Ripple, Jonathan grows to trust Zeppeli completely and looks up to him as a mentor. Zeppeli eventually sacrifices himself to save Jonathan and transfers his energy and life force to him, just moments before dying. Jonathan tearfully avenges Zeppeli by killing Tarkus. Jonathan ‘s friends
- Poco: As with the rest of his party, Jonathan felt it necessary to look after Poco during his battle against Dio and his undead army. He takes it upon himself to save Poco’s sister during their storming of Dio’s castle.
- Tonpetty: Given the short time-sharing, their relationship was nothing more than cordial respect and empathy with them over the death of Zeppeli.
- Dire: Dire died too fast to exchange more than a few words with him. However, it is Jonathan who takes revenge on his hands against Dio.
- Straizo: Given the short time-sharing, their relationship was nothing more than cordial respect and empathy with them over the death of Zeppeli. However after Jonathan’s death, it is Straizo who adopts the child that Jonathan saves and gives to Erina and eventually teaches the child in the ways of the Ripple. Since Straizo’s adoptive daughter married his son that would essentially make them brothers-in-law.
- Dio Brando: In their childhood, Dio and Jonathan do not get along well due to Dio’s antagonism towards Jonathan and his ability to both outshine him and ruin his relationships greatly. Years later at Hugh Hudson Academy, Jonathan is shown to have become friendly with Dio, though Jonathan still suspects that something is suspicious about Dio’s behavior, while Dio had been plotting to take over the Joestar household. Their antagonism reaches a peak when Dio poisons, and later kills, Jonathan’s father and transforms into a vampire. Regardless, both maintain some degree of respect towards one another, as shown when Jonathan suicidally attempts to pin Dio on a pointed statue as the Joestar mansion burned down & destroyed his body in their final battle, and Dio acknowledges Jonathan shortly before attempting to take over Jonathan’s body. In the end, Jonathan failed to stop Dio and his body is possessed by him. Their relationship sparks a legacy that continues well into the future parts of the series.
- Wang Chan: As the man who gave Dio the poison that was used to try and kill his father, Jonathan despised Wang Chan. Unlike Dio, Wang Chan had no respect for Jonathan and constantly insulted him. During his final battle with Dio, Jonathan used the last of his Ripple to kill Wang Chan and use his body to blow up the ship and Dio with it.
- Tarkus: Jonathan was originally awestruck at Tarkus having learned of him in history books, but after he destroyed the remains of his comrade Bruford, Jonathan lost all respect for him. The two would later battle in a castle chained together and said battle would prompt Zeppeli’s death, and out of anger and sadness Jonathan destroyed Tarkus.
- Bruford: Like Tarkus, Jonathan highly respected Bruford due to his reputation as a great fighter and knight. After their battle, Bruford also grew to respect Jonathan and gave him his sword before his death.
- Jack the Ripper: Because he was one of Dio’s minions and an infamous serial killer, Jonathan knew Jack was a threat and had to be stopped. In the end, Jonathan destroyed Jack with his Ripple.
Chapters / Episodes
universe and Development
Jonathan ‘s name was derived at a Denny ‘s where Araki and his foremost editor, Ryosuke Kabashima, had their first merging pertaining to the JoJo series. [ 2 ] The two had decided on “ Jonathan ” as the series ‘ protagonist, however, Araki besides wanted the initials to match in a way alike to the american english film maker, Steven Spielberg ( S.S ). They finally landed on the name, “ Jonathan Joestar ” ( J.J ) and thus the nickname “ JoJo ” was born. [ 28 ] Araki mentions he was not referencing anything in particular when he chose the first gear name. [ 1 ] Jonathan was rumored to be named after “ Jonathan ‘s Family Restaurant ” ; however, both Araki and Kabashima confirm this is an urban myth. Araki had brought up the name during a 2006 interview, but he states the interviewer had mentioned it and he just echoed it by accident. [ 2 ] Araki wanted Jonathan to exude an air of force like in the manga Karate Baka Ichidai after the protagonist did martial arts training alone in the mountains. [ 18 ] Additionally, his appearance and physique are similar to Hokuto no Ken ‘s Kenshiro. however, this specific similarity has not been directly confirmed by Araki, the Hokuto no Ken manga was at the very least used as ocular character for some panels of Jonathan. In Jump Comics volume 1, there is a typographic error where Jonathan uses the line “ Nani o suru da “ ( 何をするだァーッ ) alternatively of “ Nani o surun da “ ( 何をするんだァーッ ). This error was not fixed for 15 years until the 66th printing, and has since been replicated in other works such as All-Star Battle. The Phantom Blood PS2 game fixes the misprint, but uses the original erroneous line in Story and Chapter Mode once Story Mode has been beaten once. due to the concept of the Joestar Birthmark not being introduced until Stardust Crusaders, Jonathan is not shown to have it in the manga. Later adaptations do show Jonathan ‘s birthmark, such as the 2000 OVA during the flashback showing Jonathan ‘s death, or the 2012 anime when he defeats Tarkus .
In the 2000 Stardust Crusaders OVA, Jonathan ‘s voice actor, Jurota Kosugi, voiced Jotaro Kujo in the 1993/2000 OVA adaptation. He late voiced Norisuke Higashikata IV in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven. Jonathan ‘s spokesperson actor in the 2007 Phantom Blood film, Katsuyuki Konishi, besides voices Diavolo in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind .
Read more : Umi ga Kikoeru