- Marcel Galliard
- Biological Information
- Professional Information
- People killed
Agito no Kyojin ? )
“ Jaw ” ( 顎 Agito ?, besides translated as “ Jaws ” )
“Jaw Titan” (顎の巨人”Jaw” (顎, also translated as “Jaws”)
Berikku ? ) [ 1 ]
Human, Intelligent Titan
[ 2 ]
5 m (Jaw Titan form)
- Galliard family
- Unnamed father
- Unnamed mother
- Porco Galliard (brother, deceased)
[ 3 ]
- Marleyan military
- Warrior Unit
Senshi Kōho-sei ? )
Warrior Candidate (戦士候補生
Reading: Marcel Galliard
|◄ Preceded by||Marcel Galliard
|Followed by ►|
|Sorry Reiner…You see… You weren’t supposed to be chosen as a Warrior in the first place… But… I influenced the the army’s decision by putting you on a pedestal and making my little brother look bad… I wanted to protect my brother. I’m sorry… Reiner.|
|— Marcel’s dedication to his little brother.|
Marcel Galliard ( マルセル・ガリアード Maruseru Gariādo ? ) was the older brother of Porco Galliard, companion and childhood acquaintance of Reiner Braun, Bertolt Hoover, Annie Leonhart and Pieck Finger. He was separate of the group of Warriors sent by Marley to attack the Eldians of Paradis Island in class 845, but his mission was cut abruptly by the sudden appearance of Ymir, as a Pure Titan. He possessed the ability to transform into the Jaw Titan .
Marcel had short-circuit colored hair swept back and an overturned nose. On the mission to breach Wall Maria, he dressed in a retentive jacket with a backpack probable filled with supplies for the long journey away from their hometown .
His Titan shape was shown to be like to his buddy ‘s, as both were shown to have long hair, a midst blacken beard at its chin, sink eyes, a little, agile body, however, unlike Porco, his Titan was shown to have long black hair, and visible sharp teeth with no visible lips .
Marcel was described by his brother as a strong and reliable person. [ 5 ] He besides demonstrated his friendly personality through his interactions with his fellow Warriors, particularly Reiner, always giving them boost. He besides appeared to be altruistic, sacrificing his life to save his friend Reiner from being eaten by a Titan. [ 6 ] [ 7 ] He greatly cared for his fellow Warriors and his brother, so much that he attempted to protect Porco from inheriting the Armored Titan. [ 4 ] Unlike the other Warriors who saw inheriting one of the Nine Titans as a symbol of pride, Marcel saw it as a tragic destiny, and ultimately unsuccessfully tried to stop his brother from succumbing to the lapp destine. [ 8 ]
Marcel Galliard was an Eldian bear in Marley. At some target in his youth, his parents sent him and his buddy Porco into training to become Warriors for Marley. Marcel excelled during his train, notably in tests of lastingness and survival, [ 9 ] and finally he stood among the seven remaining Warrior candidates, all potential candidates for inheriting the world power of the Titans. [ 10 ] At this time, tension began to grow between his brother Porco and fellow candidate Reiner Braun, who had become a capable of ridicule from Porco for his lackluster operation as a Warrior. Despite his love for his brother, Marcel made attempts to ease the dispute between the two. [ 11 ] [ 12 ] When the meter came for the Warrior candidates to receive their Titans, Marcel began to worry for his brother ‘s life. In order to keep Porco alive, Marcel managed to elevate Reiner ‘s reputation in the eyes of their Marleyan superiors while diminishing Porco ‘s reputation. [ 4 ] Through his intervention, Porco was not chosen to inherit a Titan, and alternatively Reiner Braun was given the office of the Armored Titan in the year 843. At this time, Marcel was chosen to inherit the power of the Jaw Titan. [ 13 ] The six Warriors granted Titan powers were soon sent to war as a test of their abilities. much to Marley ‘s joy, the power of the Titans proved to be a devastate weapon even in the hands of unseasoned children. With their concerns alleviated, Marley formally began the Paradis Island Operation, a mission to send the Warriors to Paradis Island in arrange to take the Founding Titan from the King of the Walls. Marcel was chosen for this operation, along with Reiner, Bertolt Hoover, and Annie Leonhart. [ 14 ] In the year 845, the four Warriors were sent across the sea to the boundary line of Paradis Island. There, they were given their final deputation orders from Commander Magath, who wished for their achiever and safe restitution. [ 15 ]
After traveling through the night, the Warriors camp until dawn. At this time, Marcel reveals to Reiner that he was not meant to inherit the power of the Titans, and he apologizes for putting his brother ‘s life over Reiner ‘s. unfortunately, before the matter can be discussed foster, a Titan rises up out of the ground and attacks Reiner. In a moment of forfeit, Marcel pushes Reiner out of injury ‘s way and is caught rather. The other Warriors flee as Marcel is eat alive. [ 16 ]
During Reiner ‘s days as a trainee, Reiner would oftentimes emulate Marcel ‘s kind and friendly personality as separate of his ‘soldier ‘ persona. [ 17 ] When a group of Titans were attacking a tower in Utgard Castle, a near-death experience causes Reiner to remember Marcel ‘s death. [ 18 ] The follow morning, with no weapons and their superiors all dead, ymir transforms into a Titan to save them. Reiner and Bertolt immediately recognize her as the Titan which ate Marcel. [ 19 ] late, in a forest, Bertolt expresses concern over whether they can trust Ymir and reminds Reiner of Marcel ‘s death at her hands. [ 20 ] He later questions Ymir about it, and she states that she does not remember doing it. [ 21 ] After they escape to the Shiganshina District, Ymir expresses her gratitude towards Reiner and Bertolt for their character in freeing her from her Titan human body. She agrees to return to their hometown with them as requital for what she took. [ 22 ] The Jaw Titan is passed to Porco, [ 23 ] unaware of Marcel ‘s wish for him not to inherit it. [ 4 ] much to his displeasure, Porco is only able to access Ymir ‘s memories and not his brother ‘s. To his discomfort and anger, Porco realizes that Reiner had been incorporating Marcel ‘s personality and traits as his own on Paradis. [ 23 ] In the year 854, Reiner is reminded of Marcel and his fellow former candidates by the Warriors ‘ new candidates. [ 24 ] While trying to awake an unconscious mind Porco to make him join the struggle again, Reiner accidently triggers the memory of Marcel revealing his design to keep his buddy from inheriting a Titan in order to have a gamble at a long life. [ 25 ] Marcel is one of the many Titan inheritors whose Titan is created by Ymir Fritz to defend Eren Yeager while he is attempting to Rumble the world. [ 26 ] In the middle of the fighting Marcel and a handful of other inheritors are reawakened in the Path universe by Zeke. Zeke asks Marcel and the other inheritors to lend their lastingness to him and his allies. Taking manipulate of his Titan, Marcel helps fends off the countless Titans which are attempting to defend Eren. Marcel and Porco work together to save the lives of Jean Kirstein and Pieck and continue fighting until Eren ‘s nape is destroyed. [ 27 ]
Read more : Umi ga Kikoeru
As an Eldian Warrior, Marcel had undergo advanced military train in order to prepare him to use the Titan baron. He was in good shape and was particularly quick witted, and his overall abilities were firm enough to make him an Eldian Warrior .
Marcel had the ability to transform into a 5 meter Titan known as the Jaw Titan ( 顎の巨人 Agito no Kyojin ) .
- Jaw: As the Jaw Titan’s most prominent feature, Marcel’s Titan form possessed a great biting force, which was strong enough to crush cannons.
- Speed: Due to its small size, Marcel’s Jaw Titan had a high level of speed and agility.
- Regeneration: Just like all others with the power of the Titans, Marcel had the ability to regenerate any injuries he may suffer.
- Porco Galliard – Perhaps Marcel’s closest relationship was with his brother. Porco, who often treats people condescendingly, fondly remembers Marcel as a dependable person and holds a grudge against Reiner for his brother’s sacrifice. Porco also greatly admired Marcel for inheriting one of the Nine Titans and hoped to inherit one as well. Unbeknownst to Porco, Marcel attempted to save his life via having Reiner inherit the Armored Titan instead. Marcel’s attempt would ultimately be unsuccessful, however, for Porco would inherit the same Titan powers his brother had from Ymir in the year 850.
- Reiner Braun – Marcel was shown to care for Reiner, attempting to stop a fight between him and Porco which the latter instigated and apologized to Reiner for Porco’s behavior. In the year 845, Marcel apologized to Reiner for inheriting the Armored Titan, for Marcel recommended Reiner to inherit it in order to save Porco. As a Titan appeared, Marcel pushed Reiner out of the way and ended up getting devoured himself. Reiner would be haunted by Marcel’s sacrifice, often wishing that he was the one who was killed that day instead. Due to Marcel’s actions towards trying to prevent his brother from gaining the power of the Titans, Reiner himself is trying to save his own cousin, Gabi, from inheriting his Titan power and following his tragic fate.
- Previous inheritor of the Jaw Titan (as a Pure Titan)
- Marcel ranked forty-second in the Third Character Popularity Poll.
- In the original version of Chapter 47, he was referred to by the name “Berwick” ( ベリック Berikku?). However, in Volume 12, his name was changed to “Marcel.”
- His name, Marcel, is French in origin, meaning “Little Warrior.” Considering the group he belonged to refer to themselves as “Warriors,” it is no coincidence. His surname resembles the French word “gaillard,” meaning “brave, cheerful, spirited.”
- His original name, Berwick, is English in origin, meaning “Grain Farm.” This contrasts with his companions’ names and incidentally represent the three basic levels of society—Rulers/Land Owners (Bertolt), Soldiers/Warriors (Reiner), and Farmers (Berwick).