After the death of his unseasoned sister, he began advocating for aesculapian ninja to be assigned to every squad. Tsunade shared a like belief, and the two soon began dating because of it. During their prison term together Dan shared his dream of becoming Hokage with Tsunade — wanting the title so that he could better protect the villagers of Konoha which would prompt Tsunade to give Dan her grandfather ‘s necklace as good luck and encouragement to follow that dream. soon after that, Dan was fighting in the Second Shinobi World War, in which he killed countless shinobi with his Spirit Transformation Technique. [ 3 ] ultimately, he was fatally wounded during a conflict, and while Tsunade was able to stop the bleed, it was a misplace cause as the rake passing was excessively severe and Dan succumbed to his injuries. [ 4 ] Tsunade would former take on Dan ‘s niece, Shizune, as an apprentice and leave the village some time after that, retiring from life as a shinobi .
Dan was a great valet that deeply loved his village and its inhabitants. He besides cared deeply for his baby and would frequently pick her up from the Academy ; [ 5 ] something he would late do with his niece adenine well. He is besides described as a judicious and ethical valet that rightfully believed in justice. [ 1 ] Dan was besides very intimate of the history of the the shinobi populace as he was very wary upon learning Madara had been reincarnated. Despite learning the five Kage were combating Madara, he was silent doubting they actually stood a chance against Madara and entirely hoped that the Impure World Reincarnation could be stopped before Madara had a chance to kill them.
Reading: Dan Katō
Dan had long, pale-blue haircloth that reached his bet on and night fleeceable eyes. He wore the standard Konoha shinobi outfit of that time arrant with brow defender and the pocket-less antiaircraft jacket. After being reincarnated by Kabuto, Dan obtained black sclerae .
not much is known of Dan ‘s abilities, but by all indications, he was a very capable and effective ninja that served his greenwich village well. This is prove further when Kabuto Yakushi reincarnated him thinking that he ‘d be a valuable asset on the battlefield. Kakuzu referred to Dan and Asuma as gold and argent generals ( a reference to shōgi pieces ), again indicating that Dan was a potent shinobi. [ 6 ]
Chakra and Physical Prowess
Dan displayed high levels of chakra control as he could transfer it at will, to which he showed very high reserves as he restored Tsunade ‘s own reserves along with her Strength of a Hundred Seal before departing to the afterlife. [ 7 ] In the zanzibar copal, Dan demonstrated high-level taijutsu art along with capital accelerate and evasive skills, being able to single-handed disarm and defeat several enemies. [ 8 ]
Dan possessed a unique technique called the Spirit Transformation Technique. This ability allowed him to become a survive heart to attack his opponents. [ 3 ] He can besides use it to take control of a prey ‘s body. [ 9 ] Dan besides noted that this proficiency took many lives during his life, [ 3 ] and implored his opponents to trap him in a barrier before he could activate the technique. In reply to this, however, Chōza remarked it was n’t easy to trap person like him. [ 10 ] In terms of nature transformation, Dan was proficient in Wind, Fire, Earth, Yin and Yang Release .
Fourth Shinobi World War : confrontation
In preparation for the Fourth Shinobi World War, Dan is reincarnated by Kabuto Yakushi to fight against the Allied Shinobi Forces, before being mobilised aboard Asuma Sarutobi and Hizashi Hyūga, where he informed them of the details regarding the forbid technique used to reincarnate them. Relocating to the Land of Lightning ‘s coast, Dan emerged from the ocean amongst the White Zetsu Army with the others, before engaging the opposing First Division. Confronted by Chōza Akimichi, Dan remarked that he had grown since their last meet. As the conflict continued, Dan, in explaining his abilities, tells them that he must be captured before he can activate his Spirit Transformation Technique. After a prolong struggle, Dan congratulated the shinobi on their efforts, while trapped inside the barrier. however, in the inflame of the Demonic Statue of the Outer Path ‘s assail, the barrier surrounding him was destroyed, freeing Dan but injuring him in the process. Resealed within the barrier by the pursuit day, Dan observed the arrival of Naruto Uzumaki ‘s tail ringer to the battlefield, initially mistaking him for Nawaki due to their resemblance to one another. Shocked at hearing that Tsunade had placed her faith in Naruto and his promise to not die until he became Hokage, Dan asked just who Naruto was, to which Shikamaru Nara replied that he was the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox ‘s jinchūriki and had constantly dreamt of becoming Hokage. Dan smiled as he realised that both his and Nawaki ‘s dream had lived on through Naruto .
Fourth Shinobi World War : climax
Continuing to converse with Chōza as he guarded the barrier, Dan was greatly shocked to hear of Madara Uchiha ‘s reincarnation, but is even more so by Tsunade becoming Hokage and as such, her entering the fray alongside the other Kage. Despite Chōza ‘s confidence, Dan was diamond that Madara should n’t be underestimated, believing that the only person who could possibly defeat him was already dead. He then implored Chōza to rather seek out and stop the person who reincarnated Madara, judging this to be the only method to beat him, earlier mutely pleading for Tsunade to survive .
With the Impure World Reincarnation released, Dan is enveloped in a light of sorts and, as he began to deconstruct, commended whomever had stopped the technique. now undisciplined, Dan requested that Chōza have them dispel the barrier which sealed him before using his Spirit Transformation Technique to take control of his ascending spirit. Thanking Chōza for understanding his captive, Dan left and reached Tsunade in time to take over her body and save her from one of Madara ‘s attacks. Conversing in her subconscious, he thanked her for accomplishing what he did n’t in life and apologised for causing her only asperity. He then told Tsunade that he would wait for her in the afterlife, but that she was n’t to follow him even as she was his dream itself. Kissing her brow before he disappeared, Dan expressed gratitude that he was reincarnated, because it allowed him to last protect her. As his final act, he apparently imparted the remainder of his chakra to Tsunade, restoring her Strength of a Hundred Seal and then his soul returned to the afterlife .
In other Media
Dan Katō is a playable character in the follow video games :
As Dan had died from fatal blood personnel casualty, which Tsunade had failed to cease, it caused her to develop hæmophobia. This left her unable to participate in extra battles and she left Konoha, taking Dan ‘s niece, Shizune, along with her. Years late, Tsunade was approached by Orochimaru, who offered to bring Dan and her brother back to life. As this would require two living sacrifices, Tsunade ultimately refused, thinking that Dan and Nawaki would be identical dysphoric that Tsunade would give up two early lives in rally for theirs. Tsunade has never ceased loving Dan, even decades after his death, as she continued to reject her long-time brother Jiraiya ‘s advances, and never involving herself with any amatory relationships with another man .
- Like Danzō, Dan’s name is likely a reference to historical ninja Katō Danzō, a noted ninja master during the time of the Sengoku period of Japan. His family name “Katō” ( 加藤) means “increasing wisteria”.
- Dan made a cameo appearance in the ending omake of Shippūden episode 129 alongside several other deceased characters.
- According to the databook(s):
- Dan had completed 574 official missions in total: 77 D-rank, 84 C-rank, 223 B-rank, 168 A-rank, 22 S-rank.
- Dan’s favourite word was “Peace” ( 平和
- In the fourth databook, Hiden is listed among Dan’s special characteristics, though none of his techniques are known to be classified as such.
- Dan’s ability to cause his soul to exit his body makes him reminiscent of an “ikiryō” ( 生霊, literally meaning: living ghost), from Japanese folklore. An ikiryō is a person whose soul can dwell outside his or her body.
- Despite wearing the pocket-less flak jacket when he was alive and when he is first shown reincarnated, he is shown fighting Chōza during the Fourth Shinobi World War wearing the old-style flak jacket, which was later changed to a modern flak jacket with the pockets on it in the manga. This was, however, not changed in the anime.
- (To Tsunade) “It is because we are living in the shinobi world, where death is always following us, that I… want to put my life on the line to subdue this war-ridden world. I dearly love both the village and my comrades… That is why I want to protect them.” ( 「死のつきまとう忍の世界に生きてるからこそオレは…この戦乱の世を治めることに命を懸けたい。オレは里も仲間たちも大好きだ…だから守りたい」, “Shi no tsukumatou shinobi no sekai ni ikiteru kara koso ore wa… kono senran no yo o osameru koto ni inochi o kaketai. Ore wa sato mo nakama-tachi mo daisuki da… Dakara mamoritai.”)
- (To Tsunade) “For the sake of everyone’s safety… Being Hokage is my dream…“
- (Last words) “I…can’t…die…here…“
- (To Tsunade) “Thank you, Tsunade… You accomplished more than enough of the things I wanted to do. …I’m sorry I make you feel nothing but painful emotions. I will wait for you on the other side. But please take your time in going there. Because you are my dreams in the flesh. I was able to protect you at the very end… Maybe being brought back by Impure World Reincarnation was worth it…“
- moment Databook, page 103
- Fourth Databook, page 80
- Naruto chapter 591, pages 6-7
- Naruto chapter 160, pages 11-18
- Naruto chapter 160, page 14
- Naruto chapter 530, page 5
- Naruto chapter 591, page 16
- Naruto: Shippūden episode 273
- Naruto chapter 591, foliate 12
- Naruto chapter 530, page 7
Read more : Best Studio Ghibli Movies, Ranked
Naruto chapter 533, page 15
- Naruto chapter 160, page 15
- Naruto chapter 160, page 17
- Naruto chapter 591, pages 14-15