|This article or section does not cite, or does not have enough references or sources.
Please help improve this article by introducing appropriate citations.
|This article is incomplete.
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
specifically, it needs proper updates .
Reading: Survey Corps
Human expansion, Titan research, defending Paradis Island from the threat of Marley and other nations
Notable former members
- Armin Arlert (former commander)
- Hange Zoë (former commander)†
- Erwin Smith (former commander)†
- Keith Shadis (former commander)†
- 11th Commander (former commander)†
- Mike Zacharias†
- Eren Yeager†
- Historia Reiss
- Levi Ackerman
- Jean Kirstein
- Mikasa Ackerman
- Connie Springer
- Sasha Blouse†
- Floch Forster†
To You, 2,000 Years From now The Survey Corps ( 調査兵団 Chōsa Heidan ? ) was the arm of the Military most actively involved in direct Titan fight, Titan learn, homo expansion, and outside exploration. They had the best soldiers who are the most skilled in using vertical manoeuver equipment. Despite having little success, they still symbolized the “ hope of world ” with their insignia being known as the “ Wings of Freedom. ” They hoped that someday, their efforts will change the earth and they will be able to recover what has been taken off from humanity. After the truth about the Titans is revealed, the Survey Corps turned its attention to fighting Marley and the external populace. After the Battle of Heaven and Earth had ended, the Survey Corps were then merged in concert with the other military branches under the control of the Yeagerists into one incorporate army branch .
This military part was in charge of the exploration and the eventual reclamation of human territory from Titan -infested lands through the act of setting up modest bases, camps, resupply stations, and extra fortifications in available areas outside the Walls. This arm of the military had by army for the liberation of rwanda the highest death rate. Prior to the transgress of Wall Maria by the Colossus Titan, they explored the land outside of the Wall, though they could never get far due to the arduous casualties suffered from Titan attacks. After the fall of Wall Maria, they began laying down supplies from Wall Rose ‘s Trost District to Wall Maria ‘s Shiganshina District in planning to seal the rupture and domesticate Wall Maria. This ultimate goal was ultimately reached two months after the crown of Historia Reiss, though at the price of about all soldiers of the Survey Corps. [ 1 ] [ 2 ] A more holocene ( even unofficial ) duty was Titan observation and research. Given the safer nature of exploring within Wall territory ( since Titans could lone enter the Wall at one point ), a wealth of data was revealed, such as their pain allowance, sunlight addiction, and intelligence. [ 3 ] Upon memorize that Eren Yeager had the exponent to transform into a Titan, inquiry was conducted to uncover the extent of his Titan abilities. [ 4 ] This would grant the Survey Corps full of life information when dealing with enemies that besides have this might. After his admission into the Survey Corps, protecting Eren became an objective of overriding importance. On numerous occasions, soldiers had been made to risk and lay down their lives in ordering to defend or recover him. [ 5 ] [ 6 ] [ 7 ] [ 8 ] [ 9 ] After learning the truth about their populace, the Survey Corps then served as infiltrators and particular forces in the fight against Marley and other countries that viewed them as threats. [ 10 ] [ 11 ]
The Survey Corps was the smallest branch of the Military in terms of membership, primitively with an overall size of around 300 soldiers. [ 12 ] This already-limited number of volunteers was made less and less by commonplace deaths and an infamy surrounding the body consider that frightens most away from joining. While 300 is a common head count for membership in the Survey Corps, there had been several occasions where expeditions took place with around lone 100 soldiers. [ 13 ] [ 14 ] Armin Arlert was the fifteenth commander of the Survey Corps, with Captain Levi Ackerman serving immediately beneath him. Under the former Commander ‘s leadership, Erwin Smith, before being wiped out by the Beast Titan were four team leaders, one senior team drawing card, 8 team leaders, 6 medics, 5 equine veterinarians, and 5 payroll staff soldiers ( besides team leaders ), and 270 soldiers. The Survey Corps was divided into 10 teams, each led by a team leader. Each team drawing card answers to the police squad leaders, who in turn answer to the commander. team 1, led by the senior team drawing card, is in charge of reconnaissance on expeditions, while Teams 8 through 10 act as logistics units who carry supplies for the dispatch. [ 12 ] Their stables besides include a sum of 600 specially-bred horses, including reserves. [ 15 ] These horses are noted to be exceptionally valuable and bred for great speed, stamina, and composure temperament. The Survey Corps was about wiped out once again following the Battle of Shiganshina District, with entirely nine soldiers surviving the fight. [ 16 ] however, over the course of the follow four years, there was a tide in recruitment, including transfers from other branches. [ 17 ] By the clock time they attack Liberio in Marley, there are enough soldiers for them to field multiple squads. [ 18 ]
Since the Survey Corps were constantly on the front lines fighting Titans, its high fatality, and low success rate discouraged most people from enrolling, as seen when entirely 10 % of the 104th Training Corps joins them. [ 19 ] Thus, the Survey Corps was known to suffer a changeless force deficit and the only soldiers who entered the Survey Corps were wholly dedicated to the cause of humanness, normally at the price of their own lives. In stark contrast to the Military Police, there is no sloth or incompetence in the Survey Corps and no corruptness. Whether at their headquarters or in battle, members of the Survey Corps have no one to depend on but each other. This has built a hard atmosphere of trust in the Survey Corps and a general no-nonsense imprint of honesty among its personnel. Survey Corps members tell and expect to be told the truth, no matter how thoroughly or bad it might be.
Feelings of pride of the individual soldiers were besides identical high, as they were mindful of not entirely being the bravest of the three military branches but whatever victories mankind gains against Titans are gained at the cost of the soldiers ‘ lives. They realized this as they boldly go into the region where most world dares not their pride is rightfully justify .
Trust between leaders and subordinates was absolute. As Gunther Schultz told Eren Yeager, if Erwin does not tell his men everything, there is most probable a argue for doing therefore ; therefore, Eren should trust Erwin. even Levi, with his bristly personality, informed his crowd that Erwin was constantly a few steps ahead of others and followed his opinion unconditionally. Oluo Bozado chastised Eren during the 57th expedition for questioning Levi, and Eren raised Petra Ral ‘s animosity when he raises the hypothesis of Levi not trusting the special Operations Squad. [ 20 ] Subordinates had absolute faith and wonder for Levi even as they were dying ; in hark back, Levi would renew and confirm his decision to eradicate Titans to his men. This level of trust was necessary for a Corps that has no matchless to rely on but each early. While most soldiers did not survive their first dispatch, each consecutive dispatch exponentially increased their chances of survival. The Survey Corps ‘ most inure veterans each had numerous Titan kills to their name and, army for the liberation of rwanda beyond any members of the Garrison or Military Police Brigade, were the most skilled soldiers in the entire military. With its frequent expeditions outside the safety of the Walls and regular fight engagements with the Titans, however, membership in the Survey Corps was highly dangerous. Each and every military officer and enlisted world, from highest to lowest in rank and file, lived with the fatalist cognition that their adjacent meet with the Titans could very well be their end .
Despite their small numbers, the discipline and fighting art of the Survey Corps was regarded as the best out of the three military branches. There was no class-based segregation between officers and enlisted men, with all ranks sharing equally in the cultivate and dangers. The Survey Corps had a well-earned reputation for temper and cool-headed courage in the face of extreme hardship ; members would fight on even in the smallest, most isolated of groups. Survey Corps members were physically and mentally hard, highly adaptable, and could be counted on not to panic even when the Garrison and Military Police personnel around them have broken ranks. unfortunately, this branch was besides in the most uncomfortable position, politically and financially, despite being the best out of the three military branches in terms of the overall quality of its officers and enlisted men. The bureaucrats, rich conservatives, and many Military Police members disliked the Survey Corps and viewed it as a neutralize of money and resources, due to the Survey Corps ‘ lack of definite, decisive successes and high losses of lives. entirely from the support of the King did the Survey Corps silent remain integral and protected from the greedy bureaucrats and hostile conservatives. Membership therefore involves little glory, and Survey Corps members are thus arguably humanness ‘s finest and most sincere soldiers – not after money, glory or promotions, but rightfully committed to buying humanity a better tomorrow, whatever the cost may be. Any alumnus from the Training Corps could join the Survey Corps for that it does not have a certain prerequisite, unlike the Military Police branch .
After the coup d’état when Historia Reiss is crowned Queen, the Survey Corps experienced a recruitment rise through transfers from other branches of the military. [ 21 ] This increases their numbers, only for the majority of them to be wiped out during the Battle of Shiganshina District. Regardless of the hideous numbers lost during the mathematical process, the battle ended in their victory. The Survey Corps ultimately reclaiming Wall Maria from the Titans and as a leave, obtained many truths about humanness ‘s position within the Walls and who their foe truly was .
scheme and tactics
due to the constant hideous losses suffered at the hands of Titans, the Survey Corps was forced to fight smart to achieve their goals. The Survey Corps used horses as one of the main resources to explore an area with no wrestling sources, such as trees or buildings .
Long-Distance Enemy Scouting Formation
Developed by former Commander Erwin Smith, the key to this formation is Titan avoidance. Because the Survey Corps can not afford to fight every Titan out in the open, the entire Survey Corps is spread out over a large area, maximizing visibility. Upon encountering a Titan, a bolshevik erupt indicated the danger and all soldiers who saw the flare, fire a bolshevik flare of their own, allowing Erwin to promptly be alerted to the Titan ‘s bearing. He would then fire a k flare in the craved direction to avoid this Titan with all members firing a greens flare adenine well to allow the information to spread quickly. [ 22 ] however, there were on occasion Abnormal Titans that would break it apart by ignoring soldiers on the margin and alternatively, attack the middle of the geological formation. In this case, a black flare out indicates the danger, and the Titan is disposed of equally promptly as possible. [ 23 ] The entire geological formation was in the rough determine of a semicircle, and was composed of the trace sections :
- Forward Scouts – Presumably the most reliable soldiers, they were spread out along the front rank of the entire formation. They were the members of the Survey Corps who came into contact with the Titans more frequently, alerting the rest of the formation to the presence of Titans using red smoke rounds.
- Scout support teams – They were one position deeper into the formation than the forward Scouts, whom they helped in combat if need be. It was possible that these soldiers were responsible for holding back the Titan attack on the formation’s right flank during the 57th Expedition Outside the Walls.
- Command – The Commander of the Survey Corps was at the front of the formation, right behind the frontal Scout teams. It was the Commander’s job to judge the situation of the expedition, taking into account the flares fired by the rest of the formation and firing green signal flares to inform the Survey Corps of new trajectories. The Commander was accompanied by a small number of men whose job it is to relay verbal messages to the rest of the formation.
- Relay teams – Comprised chiefly of new recruits, it was their job to fire smoke rounds bidirectionally: both to inform Command of Titan sightings (red and black flares) and to inform the rest of the formation about a change of course (green flares). All the members of the 104th Training Corps who chose to join the Survey Corps were part of the relay teams. It was a relatively well-protected area of the formation (after all, here are the most inexperienced soldiers), as it is not directly in contact with oncoming Titans, and it is difficult to stray from the formation from this position. Dita Ness and Luke Siss were among the relay teams during the 57th expedition. The relay teams also ride along spare horses.
- Cart guard teams – They were located between the relay teams and the carts, and it was their job to protect said carts. Abel was part of the cart guard teams in the 57th Expedition.
- Carts – This unit was comprised of wooden carts with a special suspension system, each pulled by two horses and manned by two soldiers. Their job is to carry the supplies necessary for the expedition (food, gas, medical supplies, extra vertical maneuvering equipment, etc.). They are very vulnerable to Titan attacks, so they are in the deepest place in the formation, riding single file behind the Command team. The carts played a pivotal role during the 57th Expedition, as they secretly carried the artillery pieces that were going to be used to capture the Female Titan.
- Standby – This group was in the most protected part of the formation: the center-rear, behind the cart line. This position was occupied by Squad Levi during the 57th expedition. It was their job to protect Eren and to serve as bait so as to lure the Female Titan into the Titan Forest.
- Rear guard – These were the soldiers who ride at the very back of the formation, protecting it from Titan pursuit. It was a job which conceivably entails some risk, as it is possible to fall behind the rest of the formation.
This constitution had lowered the Survey Corps losses by 30 %. however, it could be rendered ineffective by bad weather, specially rain, when flares will become useless. This, combined with the neglect in visibility from said rain or daze would reduce the ability of the constitution to remain in communication and spot Titans. It is worth noting however that such upwind conditions are likely to be accompanied by less sunlight, causing a meaning drop in Titan activeness. [ 24 ]
Although not a ‘true ‘ tactic in the sense of common battle doctrine, the Survey Corps had been involved in two attempts at capture and are desirable of eminence given their like procedures.
Survey Corps Ambush follows this blueprint :
- Target is lured into an area where Survey Corps forces have the maximum advantage. i.e. Leading target into a forest (where vertical equipment is most effective) or underground (where Titans cannot move).
- Target is incapacitated with the special target restraining weapon.
- Vertical equipment soldiers surround target area and prevent escape.
- If target breaks free (e.g. Female Titan), soldiers were to try and prevent its escape and to incapacitate or regroup.
In preparation for the Raid on Liberio, the Survey Corps trained its soldiers in subterfuge, allowing them to infiltrate Marley with minimal detection. [ 10 ] For this function, the Survey Corps used a change adaptation of anti-personnel vertical maneuver equipment that allowed up to four Thunder Spears to be mounted on the forearm. The Survey Corps besides replaced the Anti-Personnel Control Squad ‘s single-shot shotguns with semi-automatic pistols. such modifications enabled the Survey Corp to engage in anti-infantry and anti-fortification war while hush enabling them to engage Titans in battle. [ 11 ] The Survey Corps had besides begun using gobble action rifles and hand-thrown explosives in their fight against Marley by either clearing out enemies in buildings or ambushing foe convoy going down narrow-minded urban streets. [ 25 ]
- It has been noted that even normal soldiers from the Survey Corps are, on average, stronger than those from different branches.
- 22 graduates of the 104th Training Corps southern division joined the Survey Corps, including Eren Yeager, Mikasa Ackerman, and Armin Arlert.
- It is stated that recently the Survey Corps usually goes on an expedition outside the Walls about once a month. So from the 34th expedition to the 57th expedition, it has been a total of 2 years, which would come to about one expedition outside the Walls a month.
- When not on an expedition, Survey Corps soldiers spend their time training and maintaining their equipment. Depending on a soldier’s position they may also need to attend meetings. If time allows, they might be given permission go home.
- There are no records of more than two Survey Corps ever being active at one time.