- The Signal
- Mainstream Universe, 2011-present
- Powers and Abilities
- Recommended learn
Mainstream Universe, 2011-present
Lark ( see notes )
( bio-dad ) ·
Doug Thomas ( step-father ) ·
Jay ( cousin ) Elaine Thomas (mother) · Gnomon (bio-dad) ·Doug Thomas (step-father) ·Jay (cousin)
Formerly We Are Robin
Base Of Operations
Reading: Duke Thomas (Prime Earth)
Yellow · Brown
Scott Snyder · Greg Capullo
|Batman Vol 2 #21
- You’re a metahuman hero, forged in the shadows, who can crack the codes of daytime. You’re a gift to this city.
- — Batman src
Duke Thomas is The Signal, the adolescent metahuman vigilante and daylight defender of Gotham. Following the loss of his parents ‘ sanity at the hands of the Joker, Duke joined and led the We Are robin movement, hundreds of civilian teenagers who donned the Robin R and fought for their city in Batman ‘s absence. finally, Duke left the movement and briefly struck out on his own, before being offered to train under Batman and join his kin officially. Duke is now a penis of the newly re-formed Outsiders team led by Black Lightning.
Duke is the biological son of Gotham City social proletarian Elaine Thomas and the villain known as Gnomon. Prior to his birth, Elaine fled to Gotham while still fraught with Duke in orderliness to escape Gnomon, a well as the diverse confidential wars between immortals ; involving individuals like the Immortal Man, The Infinite Woman, Ra ‘s alabama Ghul and others. Elaine went on to become a social worker and marry Doug Thomas, a humble construction actor, and together they raised Duke in Tracey Towers in the Gotham Narrows. Duke grew up to live a relatively uneventful childhood, completely unaware of his beget ‘s previous life. When the terrorist Edward Nygma, aka the Riddler, shut off all the ability in Gotham City, the lunatic challenged the city to get smart or die by natural choice during what would by and by be called the Zero Year. Riddler told the city that if anyone could ask him a riddle that he could n’t answer, he would restore power to Gotham. Duke, who was a confident young scholar at the clock time, began to train his mind with mind teasers in anticipation of accepting the Riddler ‘s challenge. Duke and Bruce Wayne met for the first time when the Thomas family rescued the unconscious billionaire when Hurricane Rene began its rampage on Gotham simultaneously during the Riddler ‘s diagram. Thanking Duke for his kindness, Wayne departed to take on the Riddler himself. several years late, the Joker had returned to Gotham with an endgame for Batman in heed. Figuring out the vigilante ‘s secret identity, the Joker kidnapped Duke and his family, and planned to recreate Bruce Wayne ‘s parents ‘ murders right in presence of him using the Thomas family. Batman managed to rescue Duke and save the Thomas class from the homicidal plat, but he was ultimately unable to save Duke ‘s parents from succumbing to the mind-controlling gas Joker had released. Batman and Duke managed to make their direction through the chaos on the streets of Gotham, and Batman left Duke in the wish of Julia Pennyworth before setting off for a fateful confrontation with the Joker ; Batman went missing shortly thereafter .
Becoming a robin
Following the disappearance of his parents after the events of Batman : endgame, Duke was placed into the foster system. Duke grew jaded after it became apparent that the authorities were not making any advancement in locating his parents and, desperate to find them, began regularly breaking away from his foster homes to investigate for himself. During his fourth dimension in foster care, Duke went from an upstanding student to becoming a spot of a derelict, receiving hapless grades and racking up an across-the-board patrol record due to his investigations into his parents. Because of this, Duke was constantly circulated back into the foster manage organization. Dr. Thompkins was placed in charge of his social case, and tried to keep him from getting into fuss by reassuring him that the patrol were still looking for his parents and would find them. In the interim, she asked him to stop picking fights and try to be respectful to his foster parents. She then placed him with Joanne and Roy Dawson, after telling him that patrol had found some of the Joker ‘s toxin victims wandering in the sewer system. Joanne showed Duke around the dirty apartment, telling Duke that he would need to babysit the other kids and clean the toilet. then she left him alone for a few minutes to organize his things into a drawer in the bedroom. Feeling guilty about letting Leslie Thompkins down, Duke climbed out the window and left the apartment behind in club to go search for his parents in the sewers. As he made his way to the sewers, he thought about his beget and how she was thus cleanse in every part of his life. It made him sad to imagine her wandering the sewers because he knew that that meant she was extremely far gone on the Joker ‘s toxin. While in the sewers looking for his parents, Duke by chance stumbled into an underground meet of homeless people who had created a small city. There, he overheard their plan to bomb unlike landmarks in Gotham, starting with the Hall of Records. Just after hearing this, he was discovered and attacked. fortunately, this was besides when the Robins joined the battle to save him. together with the Robins, Duke fought his way out of the sewers, only to lose consciousness after a blow to the head. When the patrol came, the other Robins were ordered by the cryptic “ Nest ” to abandon him and run. reluctantly, they did as they were told. Duke awoke inside a patrol interrogation room. There, a tight-fitting man with facial hair and black glasses asked him what he was will to do in order to find his parents. When Duke expressed confusion and told the valet that that was the police ‘s speculate, the world left the board. After waiting and then getting frustrated, Duke tried the door handle entirely to find it unlock. When he stepped out of the interrogation room, he realized that he was not in a patrol station at all, but actually inside an abandoned warehouse. This was when he discovered the bolshevik biker jacket with a yellow radius on the breast, atop a motorcycle. Inside the jacket, he found a cellular telephone .
The cellular telephone in his new jacket instructed him to go to a new placement where he met the Robins who had saved him earlier. together, they found the bombard Duke had heard about, beneath the Hall of Record. Using instructions sent to their phones from a mysterious sender called the Nest, they were able to disable one of the turkey. The irregular fail proved more unmanageable, however, as it was on a metro train track and they had to jump out of the direction of trains every few moments. finally, the Nest instructed them to get on the future gearing and leave the second gear bomb calorimeter there. however, one of the Robins, Troy, refused to leave. Determined that he could disable the bombard himself, he stayed behind alone. As the others rode away, he was caught in the blast and killed instantaneously .
After one of the Robins was implicated in the photograph of a police officer and a robber in a public toilet store, the We Are Robin motion comes under burn by the populace. This leads to a extremity of the city council, Councilwoman Noctua, implementing the Robin Laws. The Robin Laws made it illegal for anyone in Gotham to wear Robin gear and encouraged police to stop and detain anyone who might be a Robin .
There’s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered complete. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing additional information to bring this article to a higher standard of quality. There ‘s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing extra information to bring this article to a higher criterion of quality .
There’s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered complete. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing additional information to bring this article to a higher standard of quality. There ‘s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing extra data to bring this article to a higher standard of quality .
Duke began spending his time at the Lucius Fox Center for Gotham Youth, where he found himself working aboard Bruce Wayne, who had become an amnesic since the events of Endgame. Commissioner Gordon, who had become the new GCPD-backed Batman, came to Bruce with a seed that belonged to a newly villain wreaking havoc in Gotham called Mister Bloom, hoping to spark his memory in order to take him down. While Bruce was of no avail, Duke stole the semen off Bruce and took it to Daryl Gutierrez, an engineer working with the modern Batman and longtime friend, to learn more about the seed and its origins. late, Duke broke into the Penguin ‘s Iceberg Lounge following a lead on Mr Bloom, stealing Bloom-related documents before quickly escaping the crime bos and his supervillain associates. Duke was spotted while making his escape, but before he could be taken out by Penguin ‘s arm guards, Bruce Wayne narrowly saves his life, having tracked Duke when after he stole the source.
Read more : Người Nhện: Không còn nhà – Wikipedia tiếng Việt
Although safe from the bad guys, Duke was not safe from Bruce ‘s talking-to, where he warns Duke of the dangers of crime-fighting. In this confrontation, Duke gets a text from Daryl that his parents have been found, but Bruce wo n’t let Duke leave, continuing his lecture. Frustrated, Duke insinuates to Bruce that he knows he is Batman, and questions how Bruce can give up that life to work at a young center, not understanding how the events of Endgame have erased Bruce ‘s memory of being Batman. Bruce tries to reason with Duke, but Duke ultimately leaves, stating he believes that Batman will one day return, but in the meanwhile, he recommends Bruce stay out of his way. This confrontation between Bruce and Duke would set Bruce down the way back to being Batman .
Duke finally found his parents at a local psychiatric hospital, only to discover that it is excessively late to save them—they are permanently jokerized. interim, Mr. Bloom has unleashed his fantastic schema upon Gotham and the streets erupt in chaos. Duke goes to confront Daryl ; using the data from the files taken from Penguin, he ‘d discovered that Daryl is the creator of the Bloom seeds and is the original Mr. Bloom. Daryl subdues Duke, revealing his motivations and that he does n’t know the identity of the imposer Mr. Bloom, but Duke managed to turn the tables on Daryl before jumping from the GCPD airship. unfortunately, a stray Bloom freak cuts his chute, sending him free-falling until he is saved in the nick of prison term by Bruce Wayne as the newly returned Batman. now secured, Duke watched as both the Batmen saved the city. once Bruce returned to the mantle of Batman, he offered Duke a side as his new protege. Duke accepted, under the condition that he did not want to be yet another Robin. Batman agreed, revealing a yellow crimefighting befit and telling Duke that he did n’t want to train him to be Robin ; he ‘s trying “ something newfangled. ”
Training with Batman
Bruce moved Elaine and Doug into a facility on the Wayne estate of the realm, and Duke moved into the manor to begin their train together. Batman taught Duke everything he learned from his prepare overseas and over the course of his career as Batman, using a course of study Alfred called the “ cursed Wheel. ” One of Duke ‘s first missions training under Batman involved following a chain of murders committed by Victor Zsasz. Though Duke was gravely injured in the serve, he learned an authoritative lesson about the psychology of criminals and who he would become as a champion .
The “ roulette wheel ” was forced to turn faster, according to Alfred, when Duke was pierce into a real gamble after the re-emergence of Two-Face ‘s. Having heard a rumor of a bring around that could fix him, Two-Face fight but reluctantly befriended Batman and Duke as they tried to locate the cure in concert with a hoard of assassins on their fag end. Once the venture ended, Duke was commended for his actions in his inaugural real mission. Continuing his trail under the cursed Wheel program, Batman and Duke tried to investigate how the Riddler was managing to terrorize the city from his cell in Arkham to celebrate the anniversary of the Zero Year. Following the clues, Duke discovered that the Riddler had secretly allied himself with Duke ‘s former friend and the master Mister Bloom – Daryl Gutierrez ; Daryl being the conduit for Riddler ‘s schemes. While Batman dealt with the Riddler at Gotham General Hospital, Duke came side to face with Daryl when the villain ambushed him as a civilian at Wayne manor ; taking Duke ‘s parents hostage. Daryl taunted Duke, telling Duke that his biokinetic powers had sensed something unusual in the physiology of Duke and his beget and that he had come to demand answers to the same question he is ; ‘what are you ? ‘ He even offered to use his powers to heal his parents if Duke could tell him what he and his beget are. Duke did n’t understand what Daryl was getting at and rushed him head-on, but he is cursorily overpowered. Although she ‘s still jokerized, Elaine came to her son ‘s care, distracting Daryl for a consequence before being knocked unconscious. This bought Duke enough time to rally, his eyes began to glow, and he took down Daryl. Duke is left perplex, ineffective to understand his fresh vision .
While Batman was on a deputation somehow related to the mysteries of Nth Metal, Duke was tasked to guard the cave. This put this at odds with Hal Jordan who had been sent to investigate by The Guardians, who had received foreign omens that pointing to that location. together they found a unavowed level of Batcave and attempted to decode the clues that the Bat had collected and stored in the cave, alone to discover that Bruce had captured and hidden the Joker there besides. unintentionally freeing the lunatic, the Joker revealed he knew more about the mystery of Nth Metal, that Duke is connected to it, and that Duke and his beget are actually metahumans, before vanishing from the cave entirely.
There’s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered complete. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing additional information to bring this article to a higher standard of quality. There ‘s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing extra information to bring this article to a higher standard of quality .
Joining the Outsiders
Some time after the Justice League saved the earth during the No Justice incident, Batman and Black Lightning began development on the reformation of the Outsiders inaugural in order to spearhead emerging clandestine threats and screen operations. This team became active after the villain Karma lured Duke into a trap, blowing up a build and killing a civilian in the process. This attack left Duke in critical condition and kicked off a Karma ‘s terroristic rape on Batman to isolate him from his allies using telepathic alien engineering from the markovian black grocery store. Fearing he might compromise the team, Batman conceded leadership of the Outsiders to Black Lightning and called in the serve of Katana and Orphan after taking some time to recover, Duke was joined the team and together they took down Karma, formally forming the latest iteration of the Outsiders .
Ra ‘s aluminum Ghul and The Outsiders
There’s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered complete. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing additional information to bring this article to a higher standard of quality. There ‘s something missing here. This section of the article is incomplete, and contains information, but requires more before it can be considered. You can help DC Database by editing this page, providing extra information to bring this article to a higher standard of quality.
Powers and Abilities
Unique Physiology : Duke is a metahuman with the ability to manipulate, absorb, and redistribute both ignite and shadow. Duke ‘s powers are basically photokinetic in nature and primitively alone allowed him to manipulate the room he processes light. however, after experiencing the touch of Ishmael, his powers have since “ evolved ” to manipulating light and iniquity more abstractly. Duke ‘s metahuman abilities come from the metagene, a genetic version caused by naturally occurring traces of Nth metallic in the bloodstream. Duke inherited this genic trait from both of his biological parents : Elaine Thomas and Gnomon. Duke ‘s physiology appears to be alone in comparison to early metahumans. Metahumans ‘ cells become reactive to his presence and their abilities may become overstate. Gnomon besides claimed Duke possess his “ infinite blood ” [ 1 ], implying Duke may potentially be immortal .
- Photokinesis: Duke’s primary ability is photokinesis, which he can use to manipulate light as well as the way he process light. Due to his body’s unique photokinetic properties he possesses enhanced photo-sensory abilities. His photokinetic senses can detect changes and variations in light invisible to the naked eye, and he can absorb and process light faster than humanly possible. Particularly powerful forms of Nth metal can amplify his photokinetic vision, allowing longer more vivid visions and even some audio.
- Ghost Vision: Duke’s most notable ability is what he calls his “Ghost Vision”. By manipulating the way he processes light, Duke can use his photokinetic vison to perceive the “ghosts” of where light has been in his vicinity, allowing him to see a few minutes into the past. he can also use his vision to glimpse into the future by sensing the “ghosts” of where light will be.
- Cosmic Perception: Duke can perceive the entirety of the electromagnetic spectrum and can even see beyond the known Electromagnetic spectrum. He’s able to perceive light originating from across dimensional boundaries into the history of a previous universe.
- X-Ray Vision: Duke is able to track, follow, and detect someone through walls, ceilings, smoke, and most other materials.
- Telescopic Vision: Duke has the ability to focus his vision to see things at great distance, even at high speeds. Duke is capable of tracking the movement of light (or a person moving at light-like speeds) as it passes over the horizon.
- Microscopic Vision: Duke also has the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the subdermal level.
- Invisibility: Duke’s photokinesis powers can be used for invisibility.
- Umbrakinesis: Having experienced the touch of Ishmael, Duke’s photokinetic powers “evolved” to include the ability to command, absorb, and redistribute darkness. He describes the ability as “behaving like a tide” that pushes and pulls shadows.
- Shadow Absorption: Duke can pull shadows toward and into himself to reveal more light in his vicinity.
- Shadow Generation: Duke can expel darkness from himself, enveloping everything in a wave of darkness. He can also charge up his darkness before sending it at his target.
- Shadow Bending: Duke can shape and manipulate shadow like a physical object.
- Shadow Traversal: Duke can move though shadows and darkness to traverse distances quickly and discretely. he can also use this ability on his allies to safely retreat or to perform coordinated attacks.
- Photo-Umbrakinesis: Duke can combine his light and darkness powers. Envisioning a path, Duke can then travel through light and shadow simultaneously to follow it. While traversing through light and shadow, everything around him appears to stand still.
- Power Amplification: Metahumans in Duke’s presence react on a cellular level and their powers begin to increase. We see this while examining Null’s blood cells and it’s later confirmed by Gnomon; however, it is unclear how much he affects their actual powers.
- Healing ability: it has been discovered that Duke’s powers allow him to heal rapidly in dire situations.
- Robin Costume: (Formerly) After joining the We Are Robin movement, he was given a red leather jacket by the mysterious “Nest”. The jacket proved to be bulletproof, even against multiple bullets at close range.
- Signal Armor: After training with Batman, Duke was given an upgraded version of his costume. The new suit is a slightly heavier plated version of his previous suit with some new technology updates. The suit has a reflective bat insignia that can blind or confuse an enemy as well as change color depending on lighting. His suit also has a built-in defensive electrical grid and a stealth mode that makes him invisible.
- Motocycle: Originally a yellow version of Batman’s Batcycle, Duke has upgraded to a more streamlined motorcycle that can also cloak itself with Duke’s suit; rendering it completely invisible.
- Eskrima Stick: Duke’s primary weapon of choice is a pair of modified Eskrima sticks that connect to function as nunchaku as well. The sticks come with spring-loaded hatchet blades that allow them to be used as a grappling hook.
- Nunchaku (Formerly)
- Duke’s first appearance in an early version of his iconic yellow costume was in one of Bruce Wayne’s hallucinations in Batman (Volume 2) #35 – written and drawn by his original creators Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo respectively – in which Duke was referred to by the codename “Lark”. Duke would never officially take the name during his crime fighting career but, according to Batman in Batman and the Signal #1, Duke seriously considered it in his personal notebook before it was shot down.
- Duke Thomas began dating Isabella Ortiz some time after leaving the Robin movement to train under Batman.
- Duke went to West Robinson High School, he ran track his first year and tried out for soccer, but was expelled from the team after a disagreement with the strength trainer.
- Duke’s hobbies include collectible card games, puzzles, and film; particularly Quentin Tarantino films.
- Duke Thomas is a childhood fan of MMA, Luke Fox in particular meant a lot to him growing up.
Read more : Người Nhện: Không còn nhà – Wikipedia tiếng Việt
|Batman Family member
This fictional character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of Batman, and a extremity of the Batman Family. This template will mechanically categorize articles that include it into the “ Batman Family members “ class .
This character is or was chiefly a extremity of the super-hero team known as the Outsiders, in any of its respective incarnations. They are a black ops team dedicated to fighting evil and taking the fall in public opinion that bigger groups like the Justice League can not, started by Batman to avoid being crippled by populace relations needs. This template will categorize articles that include it into the “ Outsiders members “ class .