- Clifford DeVoe
- Universe Information
- General Information
- Powers and abilities
- Behind the scenes
( once )
history professor at ( once )
Member of Oxford ‘s Debating Society ( once )
Professor at the ( once )
CriminalHistory professor at Central City University Member of Oxford’s Debating SocietyProfessor at the University of Oxford
Central City University ( once )
University of Oxford ( once )
Marlize DeVoe ( wife ; estranged )
Reading: Clifford DeVoe
Kendrick Sampson ( in Dominic Lanse ‘s body )
Sugar Lyn Beard ( in Becky Sharpe ‘s body )
Miranda MacDougall ( in Izzy Bowin ‘s soundbox )
Arturo Del Puerto ( in Edwin Gauss ‘ body )
Hartley Sawyer ( in Ralph Dibny ‘s soundbox )
David Ramsey ( as John Diggle ) Images
- “I told you that the Enlightenment would come for you, Marlize, and it will. Remember, I thought of everything. Even this moment.“
- —Clifford DeVoe’s final words to his wife, Marlize[src]
Professor Clifford DeVoe ( May 8, 1975 [ 1 ] –May 22, 2018 [ 2 ] ), nicknamed The Thinker by Cisco Ramon, was a former history professor at Central City University, and a criminal genius who was besides an extremely knowledgeable enemy of Barry Allen/The Flash. An extremist human-centered who believed technology was corrupting and killing Earth ‘s populace, DeVoe worked aboard Marlize DeVoe, his now-estranged wife and ex-partner-in-crime, whom he met at the University of Oxford. DeVoe finally transferred his consciousness into the diverse “ busbar metas ”, siphoning their respective powers into himself. He finally managed to take operate over the soundbox of Ralph Dibny, whose powers made him immune to the negative effects that his ever-increasing intelligence was having on his body ‘s physical wellbeing. DeVoe besides used Dibny ‘s powers to revert to the appearance of his initial body. He then went on to attempt to achieve his ultimate finish to reset the intelligence of every person on the planet, known as the “ Enlightenment “. Marlize, after realizing how insane his plan was, ultimately aligned herself with Team Flash to stop him. After Ralph regained control of his body, DeVoe managed to live on via a hologram created by transferring his consciousness into his hoverchair but perished once and for all when Marlize removed the chair ‘s ability source .
Studies and teaching
Clifford DeVoe was born on May 8, 1975, and raised in South Africa. When he grew up, he studied history and econometrics at the University of Johannesburg. [ 3 ] Clifford first took a teach position at the University of Oxford, specializing in the history of war and military strategy, focusing largely on the early Middle Ages. At the university, Clifford met Marlize, and the two fell in love and were married. Circa 2006, while at Oxford, DeVoe was a penis of the argue club, debating the morality of Sun Tzu and the principles of Machiavelli. At that fourth dimension, he besides held a count of lectures in Central City University : on japanese political fragmentation in the fifteenth hundred on June 13, the Menji Restoration of 1868 in September and the Battle of Hakusukinoe in October. In 2013, DeVoe accepted an invitation to become a professor at Central City University, moving to live in Central City, United States. [ 4 ]
Becoming the thinker
DeVoe and Marlize, immediately living in Central City, worked on adapting to their new lives and saw progress for human development through the acceleration of thinker, with DeVoe thinking that his own brilliance was not enough to achieve their plan of “ distributing cognition ” throughout society. coincidentally, the couple followed the progress of S.T.A.R. Labs under Dr. Harrison Wells, specifically his S.T.A.R. Labs atom catalyst project. Using DeVoe ‘s blueprints, Marlize developed a car to amplify his intelligence by using the dark matter from the atom accelerator explosion to office his “ Thinking Cap “ device. At the launch, Wells answered a wonder from Marlize and claimed to be a fan of DeVoe ‘s “ workplace ”, wishing him “ fortune ”. As the couple predicted, the particle accelerator malfunctioned and exploded, creating several bolts of enhanced lightning, one of which hit the Thinking Cap, making DeVoe “ enlightened ”. While the experiment was a achiever, DeVoe began to suffer from degeneration in his body, lento paralyzing and causing him seizures and pain ; with his body trying to maintain the huge intellectual of his enhance brain, the rest of his body was not receiving the energy it needed to function. therefore, Marlize built DeVoe a hoverchair that plugged into his brain to slow down the deterioration of his consistency. [ 4 ] DeVoe kept watching over Team Flash ‘s exploits, finally learning all about The Flash ‘s identity as Barry Allen, ampere well as their foes and the multiverse. He then formulated a plan and started to watch over Ramsey Deacon, Becky Sharpe, Ralph Dibny, Mina Chaytan, Sylbert Rundine, Dominic Lanse, Neil Borman, Izzy Bowin, Matthew Kim, Janet Petty, Edwin Gauss, and an nameless man. He manipulated the events in all of their lives to ensure that they would all be on the same bus at the same meter that he would need them to be .
The development of the enlightenment
Gathering the meta-humans
In October 2017, DeVoe and Marlize built a samurai droid to force the Flash to make his fall to Central City, [ 5 ] causing dark count to spill out and transform a busload of 12 people into meta-humans. [ 6 ] After the samurai automaton was defeated, DeVoe used it to anonymously welcome back the Flash. After rebuilding another Samuroid in his hideout, he mused on how everything was going according to plan with the Flash ‘s come back and began to plan his future affect. [ 5 ] former, DeVoe got up early in the dawn, researched all of Schubert ‘s 600+ works and used this cognition to finish his unfinished one-eighth symphony orchestra, playing it on a holographic piano. Marlize approached him, musing how she enjoyed the song as a child. DeVoe proceeded to ask her for an update on the meta-humans, to which she showed him she managed to locate Ramsey Deacon locked up at Iron Heights Prison. DeVoe then decided it was time to locate the others. [ 7 ] curtly after, as DeVoe and his wife watched over an imprison Becky Sharpe, Marlize remarked on how Team Flash had found her importantly quicker than they ‘d anticipated, suggesting they were smarter than they ( the DeVoes ) had originally thought. DeVoe, however, was certain that he was smart, revealing a live feed to S.T.A.R. Labs from the apparently inert Samuroid lead. [ 6 ] Having cognition of Mayor Anthony Bellows having an matter, at some point, DeVoe asked Ralph Dibny to investigate him. [ 8 ] He tracked down a meta-human called “ The Weeper “ a workweek former and told him that he went through a lot of fuss in creating him and that he could n’t die until he completed the task for which he was created. [ 9 ]
When Marlize came to him, saying they needed to talk, he responded that it would end the entirely manner it could ; with his victory. She seemed jumble and he said that they would have to take the conversation the long way. She then alerted DeVoe to the fact that Team Flash was close to discovering his identity earlier than they had anticipated. He assured her that everything was fine as he had calculated every possible variable, a well as all potential outcomes of their conversation and how it would end. When she asked how it would end, he repeated his earlier affirmation that it would all end with his victory. not long after, they were visited by Joe West and Barry Allen, who asked to speak to Clifford, who appeared in bare clothes and in an electric wheelchair, away from his mechanize brood moderate. [ 3 ] After letting Joe and Barry in their home for being questioned, he denied knowing any of the meta-humans that were in the bus the day when Barry exited from the Speed Force, except for Mina Chaytan, but he explained his earlier life and about how he met his wife Marlize at the survive university at which he taught. After a few questions, Joe and Barry decided to leave, in which Barry does n’t trust DeVoe and continued his probe into him. DeVoe was teaching at a classroom at the University when he saw Barry again. When the students were dismissed, Barry posed several questions to him on his whereabouts on January 7, 2014 ( the date of the atom accelerator explosion at S.T.A.R. Labs ). Clifford claimed that he had no clue where he was that night. Barry asked him if he took any public transportation system ( wondering if DeVoe was a bus topology meta ) and DeVoe said he entirely got rides from people he knew were “ wheelchair friendly. ” DeVoe besides asked Barry why he was inquiring such information. Barry told him he was n’t at liberty to disclose why and handed him his reach card, while secretly super-quickly swipe Clifford ‘s mug to conduct a deoxyribonucleic acid test to determine if DeVoe was a meta-human. Hours former, DeVoe filed a charge against Barry to David Singh. He lied, claiming that Barry was harassing him and his wife, prompting Singh to force Barry into apologizing to Clifford and Marlize for prying them. The be sidereal day, Barry broke into DeVoe ‘s house and found that he was spying on Team Flash ; Marlize subsequently went to Singh again to deal with Barry ‘s behavior. Barry was suspended from work for two weeks, and the DeVoes acquired a restraining ordering against Allen, forbidding him from coming into far contact with them. late, Barry defied the rate and sought out DeVoe one more fourth dimension, asking him who he very was. DeVoe revealed to Barry that he knows his superhero identity, how the Flash was “ bear ”, that he, Clifford DeVoe, was “ bear ” that lapp night, and that he ‘s smarter than Barry and all his friends combined. DeVoe specifically told Barry that while he may be the fastest world alive, he is “ the fastest thinker ”. DeVoe promised to think about Barry as he left to begin a class. DeVoe told Marlize about his meet with Barry and talked about his friends until his seizures started again, due to not connecting to his hoverchair for a long period of time. Marlize took off his wig, revealing his brain and connected him to his hoverchair. While watching live footage of Barry and Iris sitting on their sofa together, Marlize asked her husband if he ‘s going to let them get married. DeVoe replied, “ What is knowledge without love ? “ .
evolution of the Thinker
not long after Barry ‘s and Iris ‘ wedding, DeVoe attacked Barry using his hoverchair. He was able to capture Barry and take him to his lair, where he puts Barry in a speedster trap. He confronted Barry and told him that he is hera to teach him that there are no such things as happy endings. When Joe West and Harrison Wells arrived at DeVoe ‘s house, DeVoe met them but showed no actual hostility to them and allowed them to look through his house. He returned to Barry but found him gone. Shocked that Barry could have escaped, he put down the trap, merely to discover that Barry had not moved at all, but had stood however so very fast that the eye could n’t see. DeVoe tried to launch the trap back up but was besides slow and Barry escaped. Barry confronted DeVoe, who teleported the pair of them over the city. In the air, DeVoe attempted to use his mechanical arms to capture Barry but incidentally damaged his moderate, which sent him into the body of water. DeVoe survived and when Dominic Lanse was brought to him by Marlize, he then transferred his awareness into Dominic, amply taking over his body. In Dominic ‘s body, DeVoe attended Joe West ‘s Christmas Party, having planted his previous body in Barry ‘s and Iris ‘ apartment and stabbed it with a knife that Barry had held prior. He had the alarm go off in the apartment so that Barry would go there. He contacted him and told him that he has taken over Dominic ‘s body. He said his adieu to the rest of Team Flash before being reunited with Marlize ; they kissed and put his marriage ring on his finger. DeVoe then told her that the age of enlightenment is to begin and the pair left in their car while Barry was arrested for DeVoe ‘s “ murder ”. DeVoe then used his chair to take the lives and powers of the four bus metas in Iron Heights, killing them. When Gregory Wolfe tried to stop him, DeVoe killed him angstrom well after taking the torso of Becky Sharpe. He taunted the Flash about his failure to save Sharpe and teleported away. DeVoe then took the soundbox of Izzy Bowin, or The Fiddler, with the aid of Becky ‘s luck-altering powers. During this incident, Izzy placed the cerebral inhibitor that Harry Wells had built on Sharpe ‘s frontal bone, but DeVoe simply stated, “ Call me Kilg % ra “. He burnt out the nervous inhibitor and took Bowin ‘s body, escaping after taunting Team Flash once more, specially Harry, for his device ‘s failure. Afterward, he performed using Izzy ‘s fiddle in his chancel with his wife applauding his ferment, then asking him what the adjacent footfall is, and DeVoe replies, stating there are three more metas to find. [ 10 ] While planning on catching the three remaining bus metas, he drugged Marlize numerous times to keep her by his side when he discovered that she saw the Weeper ‘s tears in her drink in and revealed to her that she has been finding out about him using her over and over again. [ 11 ] Harry Wells created a sonic scepter to generate sonic waves, which, as they learned when they met Izzy Bowin, could hurt the Thinker. While Team Flash searched for Edwin Gauss, Clifford sent a Samuroid to stab Caitlin. The Samuroid was easily destroyed by Barry, but it sent irritating comments. When Caitlin was healed and Edwin is purportedly safe, the independent field agents go to the pocket property to attack the Thinker, but he was not actually there and good put a mirage there. Clifford and Marlize attacked S.T.A.R. Labs. Another Samuroid fight Joe unsuccessfully, while Marlize fought Iris. To distract Ralph, DeVoe sent the bony structure of a T-Rex to attack him while he stole the powers of Matthew Kim and Janet Petty, then took the body of Edwin Gauss. Ralph Dibny seemed to have outsmarted the Thinker by putting cuffs on him, but DeVoe managed to Kilg % re the cuffs before they were placed on him, rendering them ineffective. He then immobilized Barry by pinning him to the floor with Null ‘s gravity-bending powers and took over Ralph ‘s body while making everyone watch. Caitlin and Cisco went to attack him to no avail, and DeVoe used Lanse ‘s powers on Caitlin, preventing her from accessing her Killer Frost side, [ 12 ] although the team initially believed that Clifford had used Melting Point ‘s powers to strip her of Killer Frost all together, presumably due to DeVoe uttering the discussion “ fade ” before creating the genial block. [ 13 ]
Beginning the enlightenment
After humiliating Team Flash, DeVoe and Marlize celebrated. He used Ralph Dibny ‘s shapeshifting abilities to recover his initial likeness, which led to Marlize and him kiss passionately. Harry Wells ‘ idea of asking Gideon to put night count in his think cap backfired for him, as DeVoe obtained a sample of night topic from the time vault ( a key element for “ The Enlightenment ” ) and Harry was gradually losing his intelligence. DeVoe ‘s variety, however, did not mean he was the sleep together man he used to be ; he rejected Marlize ‘s plans to please him and he besides rejected love. DeVoe intended to intercept Neil Borman ‘s transport. He went to their localization, and when Barry and Leo Snart faced him, it was shown that the scepter was no longer effective against him after he got Ralph ‘s soundbox. DeVoe went to mimic Ralph ‘s voice by saying “ Right, cub ”. This broke Barry and made everyone distracted from Siren-X, who was catching everyone off guard and abducting Neil. DeVoe was frustrated that Barry allowed Siren-X to escape with Fallout but Marlize made him realize he had n’t taken human emotions into account since Barry came face to face with the man who killed his ally and teammate in front of him while he was helpless to prevent it. [ 14 ] still trying to steal items for the Enlightenment, much to Marlize ‘s concern, Clifford was will to kill. Later, Clifford confronts Team Flash and Gypsy at the department of transportation holder at the seaport. DeVoe transports Barry somewhere else and thumps both Cisco and Gypsy back before getting away. Taking a tear at taking quantum PCs, both DeVoes are accosted by Team Flash and Gypsy. As Caitlin attempts to bring out Killer Frost, DeVoe utilizes his forces to take each penis of Team Flash out, and starts strangling Gypsy. Marlize gets up and wo n’t watch DeVoe butcher another blameless individual. She at last persuades Clifford to leave Gypsy alert. finally tired of Clifford ‘s domestic mistreat, his miss of interest in emotion and his willingness to do gratuitous evil acts, Marlize took the flying president, turned on the force field indeed her husband could not come close to her and she used the hover electric chair so she can teleport leaving DeVoe buttocks. [ 15 ]
Abandoned by his wife
As Clifford was stupefied by his wife ‘s exodus, his plans came to a stop. As Team Flash tried to figure out his reasons for stalling, Iris West started an probe into DeVoe ‘s activities to compile materials for an article that she finally published on her web log “ Saved by The Flash “ after consulting with her conserve and the rest of the team. Iris ‘ probe gave people information on DeVoe ‘s activities and was positively received by her readers, who immediately started gathering information on DeVoe themselves, bringing note of the harebrained scientist ‘s sightings to Iris ‘ comment section. [ 16 ]
Read more : Scarlet Scarab Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel
final examination dodge and death
Using Ralph ‘s shape-shifting ability, DeVoe impersonated John Diggle in order to kidnap Fallout from the A.R.G.U.S. facility holding him. While attacking the target, he besides shrunk down one of the soldiers to a very bantam insignificant size before crushing him to end. After Barry destroyed one of “ The Enlightenment “ satellites, DeVoe used the shriveled Fallout as a battery world power for the Time Vault to gain control condition of the S.T.A.R. Labs satellite and begin the final examination stage of his mission. Marlize, who ‘d defected from DeVoe and was assisting Team Flash, established a mental association with Barry and DeVoe ‘s mind using Cecile Horton ‘s telepathy in ordain for Barry to bring out the good silent left in Clifford .
In the Thinker ‘s beware, Barry discovered Ralph inactive active and the pair set off to find the “ good DeVoe ” lone to discover him absolutely in his classroom. Knowing that Ralph escaping DeVoe ‘s mind would cause the latter to cease to exist, the pair attempted to escape but clones of DeVoe tried to halt this, as DeVoe wanted to trap Barry inside of his judgment, stating that Barry ‘s joining with the Speed Force besides gave him control of him. Barry and Ralph escape DeVoe ‘s mind by remember of early things so the DeVoe clones could n’t read their minds as Barry wakes up while DeVoe is strangling Cecile with Null ‘s powers. DeVoe began to weaken and collapsed to the floor while besides activating a dead man ‘s switch on the back of his chair. DeVoe screamed in frustration over being outsmarted and defeated but Marlize reminded him once again of his inability to consider human feelings. Ralph regained see of his body, apparently defeating DeVoe for well .
however, using Kilgore ‘s powers, he returned via a hologram. A dead world ‘s switch activated after Marlize pulled the might source from the president, defeating DeVoe once and for all. DeVoe ‘s death activated said switch, knocking the S.T.A.R Labs satellite out of scope, but the aggregate efforts of Cisco, Ralph, Barry, and Nora West-Allen were able to stop the satellite from crashing to Earth, thwarting Clifford ‘s final examination outline, but ultimately bringing about another villain. [ 2 ]
On Earth-Prime, the occurrence of events is unlike than it was on Earth-1 ; though he himself is still dead, many of the meta-humans that were originally killed by DeVoe are placid animated. [ 17 ] This besides means that DeVoe would ‘ve had to steal their powers through other means. The cerebral inhibitor dubbed MAD 2.0 was at some degree used to enter DeVoe ‘s mind. [ 18 ]
- As a civilian
- As the Thinker
- Bus Metas’ body transfers
- As a hologram
- “I know this is hard to imagine but there was a time when Clifford was nothing but good, when he truly wanted to help the world. It’s the dark matter he infused in his brain that changed him, so yes I do believe there is some good in him somewhere. We just have to help him find it.“
- —Marlize DeVoe[src]
Prior to his transformation, Clifford was a fairly ordinary but socially awkward man who genuinely craved knowledge and wanted to reach people so he could pass on his love of knowledge to others, becoming frustrated with how so few of his students seemed to actually respect or listen to what he was trying to teach them. He at the same time had a relatively extreme outlook on life. Believing that such technological advances have corrupted the morality and reduced the personal drive of man, he became rather outspoken to his disdain on such over-usage of technology, even writing a thesis on how the world would be better off without technology. Feeling that their minds had become too small whilst his own ability to convey information effectively was lacking, Clifford began his efforts to construct the “Thinking Cap” with his lover in the name of bringing forth an “age of enlightenment”. anterior to his transformation, Clifford was a fairly ordinary but socially awkward serviceman who truly craved cognition and wanted to reach people so he could pass on his love of cognition to others, becoming frustrated with how so few of his students seemed to actually respect or listen to what he was trying to teach them. He at the like time had a relatively extreme mentality on life. Believing that such technological advances have corrupted the ethical motive and reduced the personal drive of serviceman, he became rather outspoken to his reject on such over-usage of technology, even writing a thesis on how the world would be better off without technology. Feeling that their minds had become excessively little whilst his own ability to convey data effectively was lacking, Clifford began his efforts to construct the “ Thinking Cap ” with his lover in the name of bringing away an “ age of enlightenment ” .
- “You could gather every genius on every planet, and you still couldn’t outthink me. […] You’ve done wonders all these years punching gorillas with rudimentary powers, chasing madmen shooting icicles. Those were children with playguns. Savitar, Zoom, Thawne. Their powers are nothing compared to the power of limitless thought. […] You may be the fastest man alive, Allen. I’m the fastest mind.“
- —Clifford DeVoe to Barry Allen[src]
Since becoming “ the Thinker ”, Clifford ‘s personality had changed ; though placid craving cognition, he was nowadays more pitiless and brutal in his willingness to hurt innocents to get what he wants. Clifford was a calculating and patient world, identical much focused on his current objective all the time, not having much emotional reaction while doing sol. He was very confident in his abilities and did not hesitate to emphasize fair how thoroughly he has accounted for every possibility and every consequence, even to his own wife. Clifford besides possessed an ambitious nature even before his transformation, wishing to advance the human awareness to instill change in world. Whether as a façade or not, he can be a courteous person towards people, specially to his students, but he besides takes advantage of this trait when he lied to David Singh about Barry Allen harassing him and his wife in which the latter was actually investigating him. however, flush at Clifford ‘s worst, he was not without a romantic english ; he feels the indigence to be the great homo his wife needs despite his condition and noted that he would be nothing without her. He besides allows Barry and Iris West to have their marry without any intervention. due to Clifford ‘s superhuman intelligence, he was quite arrogant to the point of having a massive ego ; for case, after Barry confronted him, as he wanted to know who he truly was, he not only revealed to the latter that he knows that he is the Flash, but Clifford besides boasted that he had nothing to fear from Barry, he flush ( arrogantly ) believes himself to be superior to Eobard Thawne, the deep Hunter Zolomon and the late Savitar respectively, wholly disregarding the fact that all three are fabulously powerful meta-humans in their own rights ; this new-found reason of his, besides causes him to sometimes underestimate his opponents, like Barry. Clifford retains a polite edge, despite his arrogance, evening referring to his adversaries as “ mister ” and “ mrs ” though with respective levels of condescension. ultimately, Clifford ‘s arrogance and self led to his precipitation ; at the hands of Barry and Team Flash respectively.
Devoe also underestimated Barry since if he had not revealed that he knows that the flash the Flash team would not have believed Barry Devoe besides underestimated Barry since if he had not revealed that he knows that the blink of an eye the Flash team would not have believed Barry
- “The added combination of dark matter from all our subject metas is overwhelming this host’s body.“
- —DeVoe in Izzy Bowin’s body[src]
It appears Clifford ‘s constant torso change may be affecting his mind as theorized by Marlize. This was discernible by the fact Clifford seems to be barbarous towards his wife particularly when she points out electric potential flaws in him, something Clifford in the past never did. His immoral and selfish nature has flush reached the degree of viewing his wife as nothing more than a tool for his needs, going then far as to repeatedly alter her memories to keep her docile .
However, Clifford was proven to be even more cruel to his wife after she find out about him drugging her and erasing her memories and he comes out of nowhere to telling everything he’s done to her and when she was about to turn against him he uses his chair to shoot out one of the claws to stab her on the side of the neck drugging her and leaving his wife unconscious on the floor and later on she wakes up having her on his side as his partner. He was also not above killing and could even take sadistic pleasure in it, as he did to however, Clifford was proven to be even more barbarous to his wife after she find out about him drugging her and erasing her memories and he comes out of nowhere to telling everything he ‘s done to her and when she was about to turn against him he uses his chair to shoot out one of the claw to stab her on the side of the neck drugging her and leaving his wife unconscious on the floor and late on she wakes up having her on his side as his collaborator. He was besides not above killing and could evening take sadistic pleasure in it, as he did to Gregory Wolfe, without any reason. ultimately, his discourse on the universe had evolved to believe that it was emotional views and personal ties that have weakened people ‘s agreement .
- “Another use of Mr. Deacon’s powers. Technological reincarnation.“
- —Clifford Devoe[src]
After he was ejected from Ralph’s body, DeVoe used another of After he was ejected from Ralph ‘s body, DeVoe used another of Klig % rhenium ‘s powers to transfer his awareness to his professorship as a hologram. He taunted Team Flash and Marlize, before she removed the president ‘s ability informant to kill him once and for all. This triggered the S.T.A.R. Labs satellite in orbit to collapse on Central City, but the civilians were saved by Barry, Cisco, Ralph and Nora West-Allen
Powers and abilities
- “There is not a decimal, a fraction, an infinitesimal variable beyond my thoughts… beyond my mind!“
- —Clifford DeVoe[src]
- Elasticity: From Ralph Dibny, the walls of DeVoe’s cellular structure are polymerized, causing them to be elasticized to form an unbreakable bond at an atomic level, enabling him to stretch, contort and reshape his molecules in a near-endless myriad of choices. However, since Ralph could still use his stretching powers after regaining control of his body (thus forcing DeVoe out of it), DeVoe presumably lost his ability to use Ralph’s powers.
- Superhuman durability: DeVoe’s elasticity also makes his body extremely resilient, mitigating practically any impact he may receive with little consequence as his body expands and contracts to render said impacts obsolete the sheer resilience of this power on his body also allows him to even withstand the ravages caused from other powers he is simultaneously occupying.
- Shapeshifting: Should he desire, DeVoe’s stolen elastic powers enable him to take the physical likeness of whatever he desires and even perfectly replicate the person’s voice, as he chose to make his new body of Dibny’s take the form of his original body, in its healthy pre-meta state, and make it his default. DeVoe can even mimic other’s voices without taking on their appearance, as he used Ralph’s voice while still taking his original form.
- Master of deception/Manipulator: DeVoe can be very deceptive, effectively convincing David Singh that Barry was harassing him; resulting in the latter being (unfairly/wrongfully) suspended from the CCPD. His ability to fabricate evidence led to Barry being convicted for his murder. He was able to fool Ralph that he was defeated long enough to take him by surprise and subdue him.
- Master tactician: DeVoe’s intelligence makes him a near-flawless planner, able to assess and account for the numerous variables, both natural events, and people’s instinctual reaction, and from this effectively manipulate the situation to unfold as he sees fit. His talent for planning enables him to prepare dozens of steps ahead, as shown from anticipating when Team Flash would discover his identity. Clifford is also a masterful chess player, as he regularly plays on his hoverchair.
- Multilingual: DeVoe is capable of fluently speaking English, Japanese, French, Italian, Mandarin, and several other languages.
- Lack of empathy: With his growing immoral mentality, DeVoe has become unable to appreciate emotional connections with others. To which, his continued cold demeanor began driving Marlize away from his single-minded drive for the “Enlightenment”. Even more, despite his ability to miraculously calculate various potential outcomes for whatever even he is presented with, he is unable to account for the emotional aspect of it. While able to anticipate the general thought pattern of an individual, he cannot perceive how one would process more complex emotions like personal anguish. An example of which is, while calculating that the Flash would defeat Siren-X upon their first encounter, Barry’s guilt at losing Dibny conflicted with DeVoe’s deduced outcome and instead he lost to Siren-X. DeVoe was also unable to anticipate Marlize’s betrayal of him, as she was easily able to escape.
- Mental instability: As a consequence of the excess dark matter absorbed from the various meta-humans and his continually growing intellect, DeVoe has become increasingly arrogant, erratic, cruel and unstable. Believing himself of such a higher clarity compared to the rest of the world and so committed to the “Enlightenment”, he has abandoned all form of restraint and morality with not even an ounce of slightest hesitation or regret. Even his love for his wife, once his defining redeeming quality, has devolved into a possessive and controlling attitude where he tells his wife outright that she is nothing without him. In addition to this, he has also become increasingly impatient and a perfectionist, becoming so absolutely confident in his perception that he takes no further caution beyond his initial plans and becomes very unhinged should something happen beyond his expectations.
- Conscience: Since his mind transferral into Dominic Lanse, DeVoe is like a parasite. He keeps his host body’s consciousness alive until the next takeover; in the case of Ralph Dibny, as he needs it to control their body. As he accumulated more and more dark matter by absorbing the bus metas’ powers, his arrogance has increased to the point where he had no problem killing the “good DeVoe”, thereby losing any chance of being redeemed or physically staying alive. This weakness proved to be his undoing, as Ralph was able to take control of his body back with Barry’s help and wipe DeVoe away completely.
- Retractable consciousness/essence transference ring: DeVoe managed to create a portable ring device that allows him to easily transfer his essence to any victim he subdues without the use of his hoverchair. It can appear in his left hand. While fighting Ralph to gain control of his own body, DeVoe managed to touch his Hoverchair with the ring and make a copy of his mind via hologram, and brought down one of the S.T.A.R. Labs satellites to destroy Central City. After bidding goodbye to her husband, Marlize ripped out a key component of the hoverchair, destroying the hologram.
- Thinking Cap: In 2014, just before the S.T.A.R. Labs particle accelerator explosion DeVoe designed the thinking cap to boost his own intelligence. He had his wife build it and he put it on his head during the explosion and it was struck by lightning, it is unknown what happened to the cap after that.
- Wheelchair: Due to his severe ALS, DeVoe used a wheelchair when he was required to appear as a civilian in public. After taking control of other meta-humans’ bodies and faking his own murder, he no longer uses the wheelchair, since none of his new host bodies have a need for it.
- Hoverchair: DeVoe uses a mechanical chair, connected with wires to his hideout’s computer system. The chair is able to hover in mid-air, teleport to DeVoe’s lair which is located in a pocket dimension, it is controlled by his thoughts, generate a impenetrable containment shield that is designed to keep anyone in, or out, has medical system to keep DeVoe alive, and has offensive capabilities in form of blasters. After a battle with Team Flash, Marlize used it to heal, then stole it, leaving the Thinker. After being injected out of Ralph’s body, DeVoe used a fail-safe with Kilg%ore’s powers. DeVoe made a copy of his mind and using the technopathy took down one of S.T.A.R. Labs’ satellites. He projected himself in the chair as hologram.
- Tentacles: Multiple tentacles can be called forth from the back to either stun or blast enemies.
- Mental/Power Transference Helmets: One of the primary abilities of the chair was to transfer the subconscious of the Thinker into those of the bus metas and gain their abilities by forcing helmets from the tentacles onto the metas. This feature was rendered obsolete after Clifford began to use a ring which can do the same just by touching a meta on the shoulders.
- Tentacles: Multiple tentacles can be called forth from the back to either stun or blast enemies.
The Chronicles of Cisco
Clifford DeVoe as Dominic Lanse Clifford DeVoe as Becky Sharpe Clifford DeVoe as Izzy Bowin Clifford DeVoe as Edwin Gauss Clifford DeVoe as Ralph Dibny Clifford DeVoe in Ralph Dibny ‘s consistency transformed into his master class Clifford DeVoe as John Diggle The Thinker ( Dominic Lanse ) The Thinker ( Becky Sharpe ) The Thinker ( Izzy Bowin ) The Thinker hologram
Behind the scenes
- In the DC comics, Clifford DeVoe was the first villain known as the Thinker, a genius inventor corrupted by Hunk Norvock and nemesis of Jay Garrick. His brain-boosting “Thinking Cap” invention went on to gain artificial intelligence and become an enemy of the Wally West Flash, using DeVoe’s name after his demise, which was caused by the Cap’s detrimental effects on his body over the years. Similarly, DeVoe’s counterpart television series struggles to keep his body healthy with his overclocked mind slowly killing him, and after losing his body he became an artificial intelligence in his floating chair.
- While in the comics, he was a failed single lawyer before he became evil; in the series, he was a married history professor.
- The Arrowverse version of DeVoe bears a similarity to another DC Comics villain—the original depiction of The Ultra-Humanite, the first supervillain to face Superman. Like DeVoe, Ultra-Humanite was a man with an incredible mind but a withered body who attempted to reset humanity. Additionally, both developed techniques for transplanting their minds into the bodies of others.
- In the series, Clifford DeVoe used his hover chair to take over the body of Dominic Lanse, a.k.a. Brainstorm. The DC Comics versions of the Brainstorm and the Thinker, specifically Axel Storm and Clifford Devoe had costume designs very similar to each other, with a purple suit with pauldrons and massive silver headgear used for amplifying their powers. However, it was Brainstorm who utilized a hovering chair.
- The functions of DeVoe’s hover chair are reminiscent of the one used by Lex Luthor of the Justice League: Gods and Monsters continuity. Both have an assortment of gadgets and a teleportation like device. However, the key feature was to aid both geniuses in movement due to both of them having a form of ALS.
- The chair is also very similar to the Mobius Chair created by Metron, which can teleport, create force fields or tractor beams, and act as life support to its user. Additionally, the Thinker has incredibly high intelligence, mirroring the omniscience granted by the Mobius chair.
- DeVoe takes the place of Eobard Thawne as the man who The Flash is charged for murdering in ” The Trial of The Flash”arc. However the important difference is it was The Flash himself rather than Barry Allen who was under trial, while in the series it is the inverse.
- DeVoe served as the main antagonist of Season 4 of The Flash.