- Theodore Galavan/ Azrael
- Powers and abilities
Theodore Galavan/ Azrael
Angel of Death
Patient 44AzraelAngel of Death
Reading: Theo Galavan
Caleb Dumas ( ancestor ; deceased )
Unnamed ( grandfather ; deceased )
Tabitha Galavan ( baby ; deceased )
Silver St. Cloud ‘s founder ( step-brother ; deceased )
Silver St. Cloud ( step-niece )
Order of St. Dumas
( once )
( once )
( once ) Gotham Chamber of Commerce (formerly) The Maniax (formerly) Hugo Strange (formerly)
Mayor of Gotham (briefly)
Chairman of Development
ascent of the Villains : Damned If You Do … “
( see below )
James Frain Source
- “James Gordon, the time for your penance has come. I am Azrael. Righteous scourge of sinners! And I have come to kill you, James Gordon.“
- —Theo Galavan[src]
Theodore “Theo” Galavan was the mayor of Gotham City and the president of exploitation at the Gotham Chamber of Commerce. He was a descendant of the Dumas family, who had returned to Gotham to seek retaliation on those who had wronged his family, specially Bruce Wayne, and reclaim control of the city. After being murdered by Jim Gordon, Galavan was late revived by Hugo Strange, being given the identity of Azrael to do Strange ‘s bid and try to kill Gordon. Theo was killed a second time with the compound efforts of Oswald Cobblepot and Butch Gilzean using a rocket launcher .
early on biography
Theo along with his sister Tabitha, grew in an estate of the realm by the sea, owning several dogs and horses, until the monks took Theo away. [ 2 ] He was completely sculpted by the monks teachings and became obsessed with getting revenge on the Waynes and retaking Gotham, although he besides became pitiless and barbarous even towards his own family .
arrival in Gotham
Theo and Tabitha were belated sent to Gotham by the order of St. Dumas with the orders to kill Bruce Wayne. [ 2 ] He gave Zaardon knock out gasoline in the form of a blue liquid. Zaardon was then sent to Arkham Asylum after being arrested by Officer Gordon. While there, he served his purpose as a carrier, expelling the gas through the mouth, therefore killing him, rendering six inmates unconscious, and allowing his baby Tabitha to break into the mental institution to break these six inmates out. Theo late gave a speech at Gillian Loeb ‘s retirement conference, standing in for Mayor Aubrey James who could n’t be there, and thanking Loeb for his service as the commissioner. late, at a penthouse, Theo introduced himself and his baby Tabitha to the kidnapped inmates, offering them the chance to become a team of brainy outlaws, that would make Gotham City tremble. After Richard Sionis refused, becoming jealous that Theo touched Barbara, Galavan had him killed by his sister Tabitha. [ 3 ] Theo late forced a capture Mayor James to choose between two options, choice A being a spider being put in the box over his question, or option B, calling his repository Maggie and telling her that he had ran aside with a charwoman, and would send written instructions soon after. After James agreed to choose option B, Theo opened the hatch to James ‘ box, and after being asked by the latter why he was doing such a thing, Galavan told James that he was a region of a great enterprise and that monsters were coming to Gotham City that would cleanse it in blood and fire. He late congratulated The Maniax on their holocene stunt, making it thus that the entire city knew their name. however, Theo told the group that as such, it was time for them to make a grand piano capture. He then explained his design to Jerome and had the integral group drill their stagecraft, complimenting Jerome on his. Soon afterwards, Tabitha and Barbara walked in whipping the Mayor. Theo was told by the two that they were bored, and Galavan explained to Barbara that her time was coming soon, before making sure that the Mayor was n’t all in, and asking Barbara to tell him approximately Detective James Gordon. Theo late broke up a brew fight between Jerome and Robert Greenwood, giving the two a gunman to play russian Roulette to decide who was the drawing card of the Maniax. Theo was impressed by Jerome ‘s fury ( pulling the trigger three times, each in a different topographic point on his head ) and named him the drawing card of the Maniax. Theo late ordered them to attack the GCPD as their moment big move. [ 4 ] Planning a third base bad move, Theo ordered Jerome, Barbara, and a few henchmen to assault the magic show at Gotham Children ‘s Hospital. They turned the prove into a hostage situation. Jerome held Bruce Wayne at point, saying that he would kill him, Theo revealed his plan when he betrayed Jerome by piercing his neck with a tongue, saying that he was the hero this time while Barbara escaped. Theo then said to Gordon that he did what any citizen would, Gordon returned by saying that he wished that was true. Theo was late kissed by Barbara in his hideout, and Tabitha nervously watched. [ 5 ]
mayor of Gotham
Galavan kidnapped Gertrud Kapelput, Penguin ‘s mother and threatened to kill her if Penguin did n’t obey him. first, he ordered Penguin to kill the other mayoral candidates, and attempt a mangle at him excessively, but “ miss the snapshot ”. On a speech, Galavan declined campaigning, but after the hit-men “ attacked ” him in front of everyone but “ missed ” every single shot. He said that if the badly guys want him down, he will run for mayor. penguin did as Galavan said, viciously murdering Janice Caulfield and about killing Randall Hobbs. Theo besides introduced Silver St. Cloud to Bruce Wayne. [ 1 ] Theo then had Tabitha abduct Sid Bunderslaw, and then had one of his eyes cut out. Galavan then had Penguin burn several buildings belonging to Wayne Enterprises, and had Penguin ‘s arsonist steal a knife that was used to slice the hand of his ancestor, using Bunderslaw ‘s eye for identification purposes. Galavan late met Father Creel in his penthouse, as they discussed the terms about their retaliation. [ 6 ] Penguin then had Butch Gilzean infiltrate Galavan ‘s organization, though he had to slice Butch ‘s hired hand merely like the Wayne family sliced his ancestor ‘s hand, in order to by rights sell the idea that Penguin had lost his mind and was no longer fit to serve. Galavan first believed in Butch, but belated caught him obtaining data concerning Penguin ‘s beget. Galavan then had Tabitha remove Butch ‘s brainwash condition. [ 7 ] Later, Penguin and his men arrived at the warehouse where his mother Gertrud was being kept. Butch then shot Penguin ‘s men to death after Tabitha stabbed Gertrud to death and cornered Penguin, the latter claimed that Galavan did n’t have the guts to kill him himself and then shouted that he came from a long line of cowards. This anger Theo, prompting him to grab Butch ‘s revolver and ask Penguin about his last words. Penguin said that he was going to kill him, and then wounded Galavan ‘s neck with the tongue Tabitha used to kill Gertrud, escaping later. Theo managed to survive and framed Penguin for Gertrud ‘s death and for his injure after he was named the mayor of Gotham City. At his mayoral party, Theo was attacked by hordes of criminals working for the Penguin. When Penguin cornered him and Gordon, Oswald told the accuracy to Gordon. Galavan ordered Gordon to take Penguin down, but Gordon declined. After Tabitha shot Oswald, Gordon and Bullock dart at Tabitha ‘s location several times. Penguin then escaped in Galavan ‘s limousine. Galavan then told Gordon that he had hoped Gordon was volition to do whatever it takes to clean Gotham of its monsters. Gordon said that he will, and will start with him. [ 8 ] Galavan then had Barbara go after Gordon. He had Tabitha and many hit-men help Barbara in abducting, belated guarding Gordon and Leslie Thompkins. The GCPD forces arrived fair in time to save Gordon, and Barbara is badly wounded. Theo was late arrested for the kidnap of Aubrey James, though not before burning the files containing the identity of The Waynes ‘ killer. [ 9 ]
While awaiting trial, Theo was incarcerated at Blackgate Penitentiary. While going through his apartment, Gordon and Barnes found a clergy gown behind one of the paintings. After a hit ordered by Tabitha on Gordon because of Barbara ‘s condition, Theo threatened to cut Tabitha ‘s throat himself if she did anything unintelligent again, though it would break his kernel. [ 10 ] A day later, Galavan was in a conversation with Jim Gordon about Katherine Parks. After that, Galavan was at his trial sit and listening to Mayor James telling everyone who actually kidnapped him. Mayor James said it was not Galavan but quite Cobblepot. Gordon yelled that Mayor James was lying. The judge then declares Galavan to be released. When Galavan addresses Gordon, saying he bears no ill will towards him and the GCPD, Gordon hooks Galavan in the face, causing him to be restrained by two officers who then tased Gordon afterwards. belated at an strange character of hideout, Gordon woke up to find himself restrained. Galavan then appeared and taunted Gordon. When Gordon revealed his cognition of the 9 random murders, Galavan then reveals that they ‘re not all random, causing Gordon to realize that he plans to murder Bruce Wayne, “ The son of Gotham ”. Galavan then frees Gordon and taunts him to attack him. When Gordon does, Galavan well beats him, demonstrating his martial arts abilities. He then leaves Gordon to be executed by the pair of dirty cops, but Gordon is saved by Penguin, who had learned of Galavan ‘s free. Galavan late snatched Bruce Wayne at the manor. [ 11 ] Theo tells Silver to make Bruce Wayne decrease in love with her to add far torment to him before they kill him. Theo catches Silver and Bruce running aside and imprisons both of them. Theo and the brothers come to get Bruce, who says he loves Silver and kisses her. Theo compliments Silver, and they go to the ceremony. Father Creel is about to kill Bruce when Silver yells at him to stop. Bruce ‘s rescue party, led by Jim and Oswald, burst through the door. Theo grab Silver and flees with Tabitha. The three pass to Theo ‘s position where they don parachutes. Tabitha notes there is only two, and Theo says Silver is n’t coming with them. Theo wants to take a moment to express his disappointment in Silver, but Tabitha asks him to let her be. Theo approaches Silver with his bridge player outstretched, and Tabitha knocks him out. Theo comes to in clock to see Tabitha strapping Silver in. She pushes silver out the window and says she needs to look after act one, before fleeing out the window. Jim comes through the doorway, and orders Theo to cuff himself. After Theo puts the cuffs on, he gloats that he will get off again, and Jim aims his gunman at Theo ‘s head, noting he might be correct. Theo backtracks and says he was just talking hard. Captain Nathaniel Barnes comes in and orders Jim to put the gun down. Oswald smashes Barnes over the head with a vase and tells Jim they have to kill Theo to make sure he is defeated. Jim and Oswald take Theo to the Southside Docks. Theo says Jim is a valet of principle and says he will regret this. Jim says he has many regrets, but this wo n’t be at the circus tent of the list. Resigned to his destine, Theo kneels before Oswald and Jim and laments that it will be a beautiful dawn. Theo bids Jim adieu and Oswald starts beating him mercilessly with a baseball bat as vengeance for his mother ‘s mangle. Theo begs Jim to kill him, and Jim shoots him through the thorax. Oswald then pushed an umbrella down Theo ‘s throat, as Jim walked away. After his death, Theo ‘s body was taken from the morgue to Indian Hill to be experimented on by Professor Strange. [ 12 ]
Read more : Scarlet Scarab Powers, Enemies, History | Marvel
While Hugo Strange was talking to Victor Fries about their approaching collaboration, Theo Galavan ‘s body was shown in a especial tube alongside the other dead bodies. [ 13 ]
Theo ‘s body was used by Hugo Strange as part of his plan to reanimate the dead and during the experiment he was given the name Patient 44. Theo was revived cursorily, with enhanced physical abilities and Hugo and Ethel Peabody watched as he kills the orderlies present while rambling, before exclaiming “ Azrael ! ” [ 14 ] Theo started rambling incoherently, and Strange realized his thinker was fractured because he could n’t handle being resurrected. strange looked through the Order of St. Dumas book, and learned about Azrael. Strange approached Theo and said he was Theo ‘s founder. He convinced him to take up the mantle of Azrael and kill Jim Gordon. Wearing armor, a mask, and armed with a sword, Theo attacked Jim while he was with Bruce Wayne and Captain Nathaniel Barnes. He was chased off by the police firing at him and stumbled through an alley where he saw one of his old campaign posters. Theo had some flashes of his past but hurried away to complete his mission. Theo went to the GCPD, where he fought Jim and Barnes. Barnes lured Theo to the rooftop where they fought. To Theo ‘s incredulity, Barnes broke Theo ‘s sword with a pipe and then hit him with the pipe. Theo ‘s dissemble fell off, and Barnes was shocked to see that Theo was animated. Theo took advantage of the distraction and stabbed Barnes with the break sword. Jim showed up on the roof and saw Theo ‘s face before shooting him until he fell off the roof. Theo survived and fled after being seen by the global on the news program. Later that evening Theo watches Gordon leaving the precinct from a bridge. He then went off into the night. [ 15 ]
second gear end
Theo ‘s quest to find the real sword of sine brought him to the Dumas crypt, where he came across Jim, Bullock, and Tabitha. Theo immediately engaged contend with Jim and kicking him through the door of the crypt. Theo then moved to continue their duel but was blocked by Tabitha, who attempted to stall Theo by giving him the sword and taking a film at restoring Theo ‘s memories of who he was before Strange resurrected him and conditioned his mind with memories of Azrael. Theo remembered Bruce and how his main mission was to ensure that the Son of Gotham dies. He then recalled Tabitha ‘s betrayal and stabbed her in the stomach, thanking her for reminding him and calling her a double-crosser as he departed .
Theo then headed for Wayne Manor, breaking in and engaging in a duel with Alfred, a fight which Alfred loses. Theo then chased after Bruce, who made his way to the park garage of the manor. Bruce then used a car to ram into Theo and drive out of the garage. Theo recovered from the attack and used Tabitha ‘s whip to strangle Bruce. Jim then showed up with Alfred and injection Theo in versatile places in his upper body. even alive, Theo made a end attempt to kill Bruce Wayne. Oswald Cobblepot and Butch Gilzean arrived, with Butch using a rocket catapult to blow up Theo. [ 2 ]
While at a press conference, Aubrey James mentioned that the Gotham City Officials have been running Gotham City ever since Theo Galavan ‘s first death. [ 16 ] At Mayor Oswald Cobblepot ‘s party at The Sirens, Bruce and Alfred thank Mayor Cobblepot for saving them from Theo Galavan upon having Butch Gilzean using a bazooka on him. Alfred mentions to Mayor Cobblepot that it took Stan the Gardener weeks to pick up the ex-mayor ‘s pieces. [ 17 ] Following Jerome Valeska ‘s delayed resurrection from the dead, he thought of seeking revenge on Theo Galavan only to be informed by Leslie Thompkins that Galavan had been killed doubly over, much to Jerome ‘s disappointment. [ 18 ] During No Man ‘s Land, Bruce Wayne mentioned Theo Galavan alongside Ra ‘s alabama Ghul as examples for people who caused mayhem in Gotham City because of him. [ 19 ]
- “My forefathers were betrayed, their legacy erased, and I am here to punish those who wronged us and reclaim what is ours.“
- —Theo Galavan[src]
Theo Galavan was a identical charismatic individual, able to present himself as a altruistic benefactor, hero and mentor to the Maniax and Gotham City. He equates his hostile takeover of the city as a stage and everyone working under him, Jerome, Barbara and even Tabitha as stagehands for his own designs and is volition to sacrifice any of them for the collective greater estimable. In reality Galavan was a cunning genius whose charitable and beneficent acts were only illusions to his on-key, nefarious and corrupt nature. Since the Waynes ‘ desecrated his class identify and destroyed the bequest of Dumas, Galavan took it upon himself to rectify the misdeeds made against his ancestors and avenge them in their mention, which he seems to believe is righteous justice. This persistent drive has turned him into an dead sociopath as Tabitha notes that he was a much unlike person before he was discovered by the monks it St. Dumas. Galavan follows his family ways to a degree of about plain fanaticism. He would spare no resource or means to end the Waynes ‘ the exact same they did to the Dumas ‘ from possessing the demand same knife that Caleb ‘s bridge player was cut with to slice Bruce Wayne ‘s throat. ironically, for person who is devoted to his syndicate ( more specifically regaining their early glory ), Galavan actually cares very little for his family in a personal smell, more accurately his current one ; his sister and niece. Though Galavan was said to be kind to Tabitha once and allowed her to have her playfulness, initially at the foremost stages of his plans as they progressed, he began finding her juvenile attitude boring and as her impulsiveness threatened his august schemes, threatened her with death. Though he did plan to escape Gotham City with her, Tabitha had last had enough of her abusive brother and abandoned him in the hands of Gordon. With Silver, she was merely a instrument to Galavan to use to manipulate Bruce Wayne into surrendering and willfully gave her the impossible undertaking of getting Bruce to fall in love with her again otherwise he would kill her for Silver ‘s compassion towards Bruce. Though apparently pleased when she succeeded, Galavan would have strangled her for protesting the ceremony. With most of the Maniax, Galavan utilized them as tools to plunge Gotham into further anarchy so he could rebuild the city but with Jerome, took a more inspirational figure and mentor to manipulate him. Though Jerome seemed to respect Galavan for promising to turn him into a star, he was very shock when he was stabbed in the neck by the latter, although he was apologetic for doing sol. He and Barbara had a quixotic, or possibly just a physical relationship for a time and amongst other things, divulged his plans and backstory to her and granted her regard of killing Jim Gordon implies he held her with more regard than the perch of the Maniax.
Read more : Captain America – Wikipedia
Powers and abilities
- “He calls himself Azrael. He’s armed, dangerous, and has exhibited some extraordinary physical abilities.“
- —Nathaniel Barnes[src]
- Reanimated physiology: Theo was artificially reanimated back to life by Hugo Strange. The side effects of his reanimation includes enhanced physical abilities as well as a fractured mental state and a highly delusional personality.
- Superhuman strength: After his reanimation, Hugo Strange notes that Theo was as strong as an ox. He was able to toss strong orderlies around with just a push of his hand. He can physically overpower anyone with just one hand, making him very dangerous. He was also able to severely crack the glass protecting Strange and Peabody with his fist.
- Superhuman speed: After his reanimation, Hugo notes that Theo was as fast as a snake. He was able to move and react faster than shotgun rounds. This also enhances his reflexes and athleticism in combat.
- Accelerated healing: After his reanimation, all of the serious physical injuries Theo received at the hands of Oswald as well as the bullet wound he received from Jim Gordon, were healed up without scarring by his enhanced metabolism. He even survived being shot multiple times by Jim Gordon.
- Superhuman durability: After his reanimation, Theo’s physical bone structure and muscle strength were increased. He fell off a building and was able to walk away without any lingering injuries or pain.
- Genius-level intellect/Master tactician/Business acumen: Theo was a highly intelligent individual as well as a highly-skilled planner. He was able to come up with a plan that would allow him to become mayor of Gotham, take control of Wayne Tech, and kill Bruce to get revenge for his ancestors. He was also able to become a billionaire by running a successful business.
- “Go ahead Jim, take your best shot. Save Gotham.“
- —Theo before fighting Jim Gordon.
- Master hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: Theo was shown to have advanced martial arts skills as seen when he manages to best Jim Gordon in hand-to-hand combat, with little effort. This combined with his enhanced physical abilities, making him a very powerful fighting machine. His fighting style seems to comprise of Savate, Karate, Taekwondo, and Muay Thai.
- Expert swordsman: While he believed he was Azrael, Theo showed a level of expertise using a sword during his fights with Barnes and Alfred.
- Expert marksman: Theo was highly trained in the use of firearms. He was able to take out a few police officers in quick succession using Jim Gordon’s gun during his attack on the GCPD.
- Guerrilla warfare: Theo was able to use predatory techniques and disappear into the shadows.
- Freerunning: He has shown himself to be an excellent free runner, which combined with his inhuman speed makes it very easy for him to escape.
- Stealth: Theo was able to attack several officers from behind without them realizing it during his attack at the GCPD.
- Political power: As stated by Oswald, Theo had the politicians and courts of Gotham City at his command. He even used his political power to become mayor of Gotham City, for short time.
- Master of deception: Theo was able to put on a facade as a well-liked and respected businessman, fooling others including the pawns in his schemes.
- Azrael armor: The armor he wore during his missions, it was capable of protecting him from assault from various firearms. It even helped him blend in with the darkness and shadows, helping his guerrilla warfare abilities.
- Sword of Sin: He found the Sacred Sword of Sin, an ancient artifact used by the Dumas Family’s immortal warrior Azrael. The sword was created by the monks of the Order of St. Dumas, and it was rumored to possesses supernatural powers, even though none of these have been seen.
- Guns/Firearms: Theo Galavan has handled different firearms primarily revolvers and handguns. He temporarily used Jim Gordon’s handgun during his assassination attempt on his life.
- Replica sword: He was also given a replica of the Order of Saint Dumas’ Sacred Sword of Sin, which was originally given to him by Hugo Strange to fully accept his new identity and to inspire him to truly transform into his Azrael persona, but he began using it as a combat weapon.
- Polearm: Theo Galavan temporarily used a polearm on an armor display at the Mausoleum to throw at Jim Gordon, though Gordon dodged it just in time.
- Bullwhip: Theo Galavan took his sister, Tabitha’s bullwhip after stabbing her. He temporarily used it against Bruce Wayne during his attempted murder of him.
- Vast resources: Oswald stated to Jim Gordon that Theo Galavan had billions of dollars at his command as well as a vast business empire.
- Theo Galavan acts as a villainous prototype to Batman, and shares several similarities:
- He is a billionaire and philanthropist who wants to help clean up Gotham City, although has a more sinister agenda unlike wanting to do it for good like Bruce Wayne.
- Has a background in training and martial arts similar to Batman’s backstory.
- Although not by choice, he takes on a cloaked mantle of Azrael which has some similarities to Batman in appearance and movements, and appears to act somewhat as inspiration to Bruce Wayne who witnesses Azrael’s actions. However unlike Batman, Theo Galavan still slays his enemies.