This Villain was proposed and approved by Villains Wiki’s Pure Evil Proposals Thread. Any act of removing this villain from the category without a Removal Proposal shall be considered vandalism (or a futile “heroic” attempt of redemption) and the user will have high chances of being terminated blocked. You cannot make said Removal Proposal without permission from an admin first.
Additional Notice: This template is meant for admin maintenance only. Users who misuse the template will be blocked for a week minimum.
- NOTE: This article is about the incarnation of Steppenwolf from the DC Extended Universe. The mainstream version can be found here: Steppenwolf. For the incarnation that appears in the director’s cut, see Steppenwolf.
End of Worlds
Justice League (2017)
General of the Apokoliptian Armada
Powers / Skills
Super strength and reflexes
High combat proficiency
Highly skilled with Electro-Axe
Commanding over Parademons
Taking over planets with Mother Boxes in Darkseid’s name.
Take back Earth’s Mother Bo
xes and use them to terraform the planet.
Break free from Darkseid’s control.
Kill the Justice League (all failed).
Multiple war crimes
Mass property damage
Type of Villain
Read more : Review: AQUAMAN #25 | Comicosity
Reading: Steppenwolf (DC Extended Universe)
|“||I see, mother! I see why you waited to summon me! The Kryptonian’s death plunged this timid world into such terror; Amazons, Atlanteans – each stands and falls alone! I know, mother, you waited too long for the unity… I know, but you will feed! And my exile will come to an end! I will take my place among the New Gods! Find the last one! Its power will cleanse the earth! For the unity… for Darkseid!||„|
|~ Steppenwolf after retrieving the two of the Mother Boxes.|
|“||I am the End of Worlds. Who are you to defy me? This world is my right!||„|
|~ Steppenwolf refusing to accept that he had been defeated.|
Steppenwolf is a major antagonist in the DC Extended Universe, serving as a cameo antagonist in the “ ultimate edition ” of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, the independent antagonist of Justice League and a note antagonist in Aquaman. He is an Apokoliptian military cosmopolitan and Darkseid ‘s uncle who seeks to obtain the three Mother Boxes on Earth for his nephew, and use them to terraform the satellite. He besides serves as his nephew ‘s second-in-command, but he besides secretly desires to break absolve from his nephew ‘s control. He was voiced by Ciarán Hinds in motion capture, who besides portrayed the director ‘s deletion version of the character, Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones, Mephisto in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Henry Burke in Race to Witch Mountain, Botticelli Remorso in The Tale of Despereaux, Jonathan Reiss in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider – The Cradle of Life and Bill Maplewood in Life During Wartime .
Steppenwolf was born several millennia ago on the beastly satellite of Apokolips. At some point, Steppenwolf became the herald of his nephew and master Darkseid, and would take over planets in his mention, prevailing in every undertake. finally, after countless years of conquer and serving under Darkseid, Steppenwolf desired to free himself from his ageless servitude, although he was neither herculean nor foolish enough to try and oppose his chief, and continued bitterly serving him .
First Invasion of Earth
5,000 years prior to the events of the film, Steppenwolf and his forces attacked Earth, intending to use the three Mother Boxes to terraform the planet into one like to that of Apokolips. however, Steppenwolf was unprepared about the satellite ‘s resistance, consisting of the connect armies of Humans, Amazons and Atlantis, a well as the exceeding Gods and flush beings from other planets ( namely two green Lanterns transport by the Guardians ). Despite being ill-equipped and having a sum lack of weaponry, Steppenwolf and his forces managed to inflict heavy casualties for the Earth storm with nothing but animal strength and bare hands. however, the resistance finally get the best Steppenwolf ‘s united states army and Zeus defeated Steppenwolf himself, forcing the latter to reluctantly return to Apokolips in humiliation, while the Amazons, Atlantians and Humans hid the three Mother Boxes away so that they could never be used by anyone. After he returned to his homeworld, due to his enormous lead records in conquering planets, Steppenwolf was exiled for his failure by Darkseid rather of murder, and he swore to conquer the universe to restore his glory .
second Invasion of Earth
After Superman ‘s death at the hands of Doomsday, Steppenwolf and his Parademons become aware of humanness ‘s concern and decide to launch a second invasion in order to reclaim to the Mother Boxes. The Mother Box hidden aside on Themyscira first becomes active and summons Steppenwolf and the Parademons to Earth, where they and the Amazons hire in a drawn-out struggle over the Mother Box. In the end, Steppenwolf defeats Hippolyta and uses the Mother Box to teleport himself aside as the entire Amazon army converges on him. Due to Steppenwolf ‘s return, Hippolyta and the other Amazons light the Ancient Warning Fire, alerting Diana Prince/Wonder Woman to the invasion and getting her to speed up Batman ‘s plan of forming a team to confront the united states army. Soon afterwards, Steppenwolf transforms a distant, hardly populate area of Russia into a nucleotide, and sends his Parademons to seek the remaining Boxes. Next, Steppenwolf and his forces attack Atlantis, oversee to take the second Mother Box after a brief conflict with Arthur Curry/Aquaman .
Facing the Justice League
In order to find the concluding Mother Box, Steppenwolf and his minions kidnap numerous S.T.A.R. Labs scientists, trapping them in an abandoned facility, and attempts to force them to tell him its localization by torturing and killing them off one-by-one. however, the Justice League discovers Steppenwolf ‘s lair, freeing the hostages and engaging him and his forces in battle. Steppenwolf primarily faces Wonder Woman, whom he taunts for wearing the symbols of the asleep Old Gods. In the end, Steppenwolf uses a projectile from the Batmobile to blow open a hole and flood the facility, escaping with the Mother Box and leaving the Justice League to drown, although Aquaman arrives and rescues the team. second at the Batcave, Cyborg retrieves the last Mother Box from S.T.A.R. Labs, and, learning about the Box ‘s power to create life, Batman forms a plan to use the Box to revive Superman, to both fight off Steppenwolf and his forces and restore hope to humanity, creating a privy eventuality plan in case things go amiss. Although the design succeeds, Superman is left with few memories of who he was and mistakenly begins fighting with the League ( forcing Batman to activate his contingency plan of Lois Lane ), and, with the heroes distracted, Steppenwolf teleports into the Kryptonian Genesis Chamber and steals the end Mother Box .
final Battle and Defeat
|“||NO! This cannot be! No, leave me!! GET OFF FROM ME!! I COMMAND YOU!! I’LL KILL YOU!! I’LL KILL YOU ALL!!!||„|
|~ Steppenwolf’s last words after being defeated by the Justice League and being swarmed by his Parademon army before being teleported away.|
With the three Mother Boxes at hand, Steppenwolf returns to Russia and prepares to combine the Boxes, while the Justice League converges on his location, although Steppenwolf arrogantly decides to let them come. As the Justice League arrives, Steppenwolf engages Wonder Woman, and late Aquaman and Cyborg, however, even with their powers combined, Steppenwolf overpowers them all with relative rest, badly damaging Cyborg and telling them there is no hope. Before this can go on any far, Superman ( having regained his memories ) arrives and begins easily fighting off Steppenwolf before leaving to help Flash save the russian civilians, giving the League the boundary they needed over the united states army.
Read more : White Raven
soon enough, the League overcomes Steppenwolf, deconstructing the Mother Boxes and destroying his electro-axe. Because of this, in an ironic construction of destine, Steppenwolf begins to feel reverence, rousing the appetites of his Parademons and turning them against him. Despite his concern, Steppenwolf tries to fight back, but is overwhelmed by the athirst Parademons. Steppenwolf is last seen being ravaged by his united states army as the Mother Box teleports him away, leaving lone his helmet behind. It is obscure if Steppenwolf survived or was devoured by the Parademons .
Like his nephew, Steppenwolf was a homicidal, malicious and dangerous being who just finds humans primitive and helpless. In cattiness of appearing vaguely throughout the movie, he is highly hated by both heroes and villains. In a flashback, Ares fought him with other gods in cattiness of himself being arrogant, proving Steppenwolf is more arrogant and deadly. He is pitiless and barbarous, showing signs of ineffable depravity and no genuine loyalty to anybody .
Powers and Abilities
- New God Physiology: As a New God, Steppenwolf is an extremely powerful being who is native to the extra-dimensional planet of Apokolips.
- Superhuman Strength: As a New God, Steppenwolf holds extraordinary levels of superhuman strength, to the point that he is capable of overpowering and killing several Amazons, Atlanteans and a Green Lantern easily. He was also able to gain the upper hand against the combined might of Wonder Woman and Aquaman simultaneously. His incredible strength extends to his legs as well, allowing him to jump great heights without much effort.
- Superhuman Durability: As a New God, Steppenwolf’s body is much hardier and more resistant to conventional forms of physical injury, capable of withstanding Mera’s hydrokinesis attacks, direct blasts from Cyborg’s arm cannon and even powerful blows from Wonder Woman and Aquaman.
- Superhuman Speed: As a New God, Steppenwolf possesses incredibly superhuman levels of speed, making him fully capable of easily fighting the swiftest of his enemies as he was able to outmanoeuvre Wonder Woman and Aquaman. On several occasions, even when underwater, despite his muscular physique, his speed is barely affected.
- Superhuman Agility: Steppenwolf has considerable superhuman agility, able to deliver quick counter-attacks against opponents, though he can still be outmatched by faster and more agile enemies.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Steppenwolf’s speed seems to extend to his reflexes as well, as he managed to catch a missile fired at him by Batman in the Knightcrawler.
- Superhuman Stamina: Steppenwolf’s advanced musculature is considerably more efficient than that of humans. As a result, his muscles produce practically no fatigue toxins during physical activity. His virtually inexhaustible stamina enables him to exert himself at peak capacity for an undefined period of time without tiring at all, never needing to stop during his prolonged battles with many Amazons, Mera, several Atlantean warriors and the Justice League. Steppenwolf can also hold his breath underwater for prolonged periods of time, shown when he retrieved the second Mother Box from Atlantis.
- Longevity: Like all New Gods, Steppenwolf himself was also nearly immortal and had existed for a very long time.
- Master Tactician: Steppenwolf is a skilled tactician, able to bide his time to try and conquer Earth for a second time after his first attempt to invade the planet failed. He only attacks the planet again after the Mother Boxes alert him of the deaths of all the Old Gods and Superman (though the latter would be resurrected by the Justice League later on).
- Expert Leader: Being Darkseid’s second-in-command on Apokolips, Steppenwolf is an extremely skilled leader, able to successfully command a massive swarm of Parademons that can do his bidding during his first attempt invasion on Earth.
- Master Combatant: Steppenwolf is an extremely skilled combatant combined with his superhuman physical attributes, making him a deadly opponent in single combat. Since he is very proficient in fighting, Steppenwolf was capable of swiftly and easily overpowering adversaries such as several Amazons, Cyborg, Mera and Aquaman. He even managed to overpower Wonder Woman in each one of their encounters with little difficulty. However, despite this, Steppenwolf’s combat skills are actually proven to be ultimately inferior to Superman’s.
- Axe Proficiency: Steppenwolf possesses skills in the use of an axe both offensively and defensively, notably using this weapon in battles against many Amazons, Mera, several Atlantean warriors and the Justice League.
- Expert Swimmer: Despite his massive size, Steppenwolf is a skilled swimmer, though he cannot stay underwater for long periods of time.
- Electro Axe: An Apokoliptian battle axe used by Steppenwolf during his prolonged battles and his attempt to unite the Mother Boxes on Earth.
The theatrical version of Steppenwolf has been widely panned and ridiculed by critics and audiences alike for his design and miss of motivation and character, with some deeming him one of the worst comic book film villains of all fourth dimension. however, Ciarán Hinds seems to portray Steppenwolf in a sympathetic easy and that he is more of a tragic villain than a complete barbarian monster by stating that he ‘s “ old, bore and calm trying to get out of his own enslavement to Darkseid ”. Despite this, there is no evidence that paints him in such a manner. He is nothing more than a hateful sadist who would do anything to serve his passkey at any cost without showing any dependable commitment to anyone. besides, the Snyder Cut ‘s version of him has been much more positively received by comparison and deemed a significant improvement .
- In a deleted scene, Steppenwolf survives the attack from the Parademons and returns with them to Apokolips, only to soon be killed by Darkseid for his failure to beat Superman.
- In Zack Snyder’s original cut for the film, Steppenwolf gets beheaded by Wonder Woman instead of being attacked by his Parademons and dragged to an unknown fate. This was restored in Zack Snyder’s Justice League.
- Steppenwolf’s original design was drastically different than the final film’s version, like concept art and leaked pre-visualizations for the film revealed the design having a much more menacing and alien design. It is believed that Warner Bros executives ordered Joss Whedon (who was also ordered to reshoot and recut Snyder’s original cut of the film) to change Steppenwolf’s design to make it more appealing to younger audiences. The original design was briefly teased in the Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman, therefore creating more continuity between the films.
- Steppenwolf was originally planned to appear in the 2016’s Suicide Squad as confirmed by director David Ayer.