Both wired and radio receiver versions of the USB standard exist, although merely the cable version involves USB ports and cables .
Lifewire / Miguel Co
What Can You Plug Into a USB Port ?
many types of consumer electronics support USB interfaces. These types of equipment are most normally used for calculator network :
- USB network adapters.
- USB broadband and cellular modems for Internet access.
- USB printers to be shared on a home network.
For computer-to-computer file transfers without a network, USB drives are besides sometimes used to copy files between devices .
Using a USB Port
Connect two devices directly with one USB cable by plugging each end into a USB port. ( Some devices feature more than one USB interface, but do not plug both ends of a cable into the same device, as this can cause electric price ! )
You may plug cables into a USB port at any meter regardless of whether the devices involved are powered on or off. Follow the instructions provided with your equipment before unplugging USB cables. In some cases, unplugging a USB cable from a run device can cause wrong to the device or the files being used on the computer. For this rationality, it is good drill to always safely eject your USB device before physically unplugging it .
Multiple USB devices can besides be connected to each other using a USB hub. A USB hub plug into one USB interface and contains extra ports for other devices to connect subsequently. If using a USB hub, plug a divide cable into each device and connect them to the hub individually .
Read more: How to register as a VIP in GTA Online
Everything You Need to Know About USB Ports and Cables
USB-A, USB-B, and USB-C Port Types
respective major types of physical layouts exist for USB ports :
- USB-A (Type A): The rectangular USB Type-A connector approximately 1.4 cm (9/16 in) length by 0.65 cm (1/4 in) height is typically used for wired mice and keyboards. USB sticks normally feature USB-A connectors also.
- USB-B (Type B): Less common than type A, USB B devices are nearly square in shape and are commonly found on routers, computers, printers, and game consoles
- Micro USB: So-called Micro USB versions of both USB-A and USB-B also exist – smaller versions than their base counterparts, popular on mobile devices. Older but now obsolete “mini USB” versions can also be found on many old devices.
- USB Type C: With dimensions of 0.84 cm by 0.26cm, this newer standard is designed to replace both A and B with smaller ports to better support the thinner form factors of mobile devices.
To connect a device having one kind of port per device with another type, simply use the correct type of cable television with allow interfaces on each end. USB cables are manufactured to support all subscribe combinations of types and male/female options .
Versions of USB
USB devices and cables support multiple versions of the USB standard from interpretation 1.1 up to the current version 3.1. USB ports feature identical physical layouts no matter the version of USB supported .
USB Port not Working ?
not everything goes smoothly when you work with computers. There are a assortment of reasons a USB port could suddenly stop working correctly. Check out our USB trouble-shoot page for when you encounter problems .
Alternatives to USB Ports
USB ports are an alternate to the serial and twin ports available on older PCs. USB ports support a lot firm ( often 100x or greater ) data transfers than serial or parallel .
Read more: Best Free Karaoke Software for Windows
For calculator network, Ethernet ports are sometimes used rather of USB. For some types of calculator peripherals, FireWire ports are besides sometimes available. Both Ethernet and FireWire can offer faster performance than USB, although these interfaces do not supply any might across the wire .
frequently Asked Questions
- Why is my USB port not working? In some cases, a broken connection or a software problem could be to blame. Dirty or clogged USB ports can sometimes interfere with performance as well. While a simple restart of your computer could do the trick, try these tips for cleaning and fixing USB port issues.
- How can I play music over USB in my car without a USB port? If you have a cigarette lighter in your vehicle, repurpose your 12V socket as a USB port. You might also be interested in adding a USB connection to a car stereo.